Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:34 AM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith C845/chassis 8H20...

I looked at the pic of the tube layout chart for kc8adu's Zenith C845, and noticed the chassis number, 8H20. Wasn't that the same chassis used in Zenith's radio-phono consoles of the '50s? The chassis number rang a bell in my mind because I remember seeing this chassis in at least one Zenith RP console of that vintage...or am I thinking of the 8H20Z? What was the difference, if any, between the two chassis? I did notice that the 8H20 had one more tube in it (a 6AB4) than my K-731 (and others like it) with 7K07/7M07 chassis. Was the 8H20 a high-performance chassis with an AM RF amp as well as the 19T8 FM amplifier? I notice the tube layout is otherwise identical to that of the K731 and its plastic-cabinet cousins.

Did the 8H20 chassis have a phono input as well? If this was a true hi-fi radio, and especially with two speakers, it should have; after all, many radios and television sets of mid-1950s vintage had such an input on the rear chassis apron, and a switch on the front panel to activate it. (My folks' first TV was a 1954 RCA Victor 21" console with a phono jack; they even had the matching 45-EY-3 45-rpm changer to go with it. In fact, my dad kept the changer for years after the TV went to the junkpile, although by the '70s the cartridge was missing.)

As good as the K731's audio system is, with that electrostatic tweeter, it should have been equipped with a phono input as well, but it wasn't--at least mine doesn't have such a jack, or if it does I haven't found it yet.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-28-2004 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:53 PM
AK Member

Zenith assistance

I picked up a Zenith tube clock radio the other day. I was thinking of hooking it up to a 12" Goodman speaker since I have no mono tube amp to run it. I posted this in the tube amp section but then stumbled across this area. What do you guys think??

Here is more info as posted in tubes...

Picked it up at Goodwill, works fine. I'm wondering if I can use it to drive a fullrange 12" Goodman speaker and how well will it do?

the current speaker is a little 3-4 incher and the speaker wires seem to be single strand , bare copper. It looks like they may be touching each other and parts of the chassis??

Tubes include a 12be6, 12ba6, 12av6, 505c and a 35w4.

chassis 5LO2
Old 09-08-2004, 06:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

The speaker leads may look like bare copper but actually have an enamel coating so there is some insulation on them.

CAUTION: This radio has the powerline connected directly to the chassis. If you are going to use it as an amp, connecting it to external equipment, you need an isolation transformer on the power input. You can cause a shock hazard or short out external equipment if you don't.

The speaker leads are usually isolated from the powerline but sometimes one is grounded...making the speaker leads possibly a shock hazard, if you don't have an isolation transformer on the power line.