Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Thats a prize, i would say kinda rare these days. And motorolas are fairly hard to work on. They did everything a little different...
They sure did. Case in point was the gated-beam high level demodulator tube (6LE8?) that drove the CRT grids directly, eliminating the three driver stages. It sure put out knock-your-socks-off reds and oranges, seemingly at exaggerated levels. The CRT was rare earth, IIRC.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola's were very hard to work on.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

This one was idle for 30 yrs. All filter caps checked perfect that really surprised me. Still have to touch up the tuner. I've worked on many brands through the years. Started when I was about 13 on Tv's, earlier on radios. Still love the old stuff. Just more fun to work on.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Still love the old stuff. Just more fun to work on.

that's it in a nutshell
Old 04-08-2012, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Our Motorola 23" had a neon light that came on to indicate a color show. The shop that replaced the first CRT (of 3, before Dad said, ENOUGH!) bunged up the killer circuitry, and the neon light burned steady from then on. Until then, it was fun to see the light go on and off with the color programs and/or commercials.

Ours punched a hole through the doughnut on the flyback and arc'd to the cage. Scared my mom really bad, as we had already had a color set (RCA) burn in the living room. I bought a replacement FBT for it, and kept it until the 3rd CRT died. I think I was watching it when I saw that Elvis had died.
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
They sure did. Case in point was the gated-beam high level demodulator tube (6LE8?) that drove the CRT grids directly, eliminating the three driver stages. It sure put out knock-your-socks-off reds and oranges, seemingly at exaggerated levels. The CRT was rare earth, IIRC.
Admiral and a few others also used that type of color circuit, or variations of it. If you compare GE's models, they used the porta-color type circuit in even their larger chassis.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes the Neon light is on this model too. I'm not sure you can see it in the picture but it's on. I know it never goes off because its in relation to the color killer circuit and color is now always on.