Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I really wish there was a crybaby smilie face.....................
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Administrator

There's a few truisms to collecting ANYTHING that I've always considered, and I think that everyone should.....

1. You will never have all of anything
2. You will never be able to save all of them
3. There are things that are not worth saving
4. Someone just threw out something that you've been searching for all your life.
5. Someone has something you'd dream to own decaying in a damp basement.
6. On the event of your passing, many things you cherish will hit the garbage pile.
7. Someone will always have one in better condition than the one you own.

As far as collecting anything, again, is the golden rule....he who has the gold makes the rules. If someone wants to pony up for something, they're most likely going to get it.

Do I like it? No. But it's kinda like discussing politics, it's great to vent, but nothing's ever gonna change. Welcome to the United States of America, where everything is for sale.....
Old 04-29-2011, 03:54 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
it's great to vent, but nothing's ever gonna change. .
Word.

I really did post it to just to vent, and comment on seeing the TV twice in one month on craigslist (and gaining $100 in the process). If I was really that hell bent on having it, I could have started offering more cash.

If it's meant to be, so be it. Deals that go sour are the counterbalance to having my collection get too big.

But I still get to b*tch about HGTV rejects who "repurpose" their "art deco" finds, as well as the guys trying to make a dollar-otta-fifteen-cents*.

*Apologies to Tupac Shakur
Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I love that song
Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

What object could this person possibly "repurpose" this specific set into that would not look like some redneck yard ornament? It is beyond me. I have seen a few cabinet sets with doors repurposed into really nice a/v storage, but this set???
Audiokarma
Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtWB View Post
What object could this person possibly "repurpose" this specific set into that would not look like some redneck yard ornament? It is beyond me. I have seen a few cabinet sets with doors repurposed into really nice a/v storage, but this set???
I take GREAT offense at that, sir...I am a Redneck tried 'n' true, & I'll have you know that one of my Prized Possessions is a P!ss Urinal mounted on a Tree in my front yard w/a Sunflower growin' out of it...There is NO TELLING what bad taste, a little Redneck Engineering, Lotsa PBRs, and/or copious amounts of Duct Tape can accomplish.....Mbwahahahahaha....
Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have just enough redneck in me to tell you that this Zenith is all wrong for use as a liquor cabinet or bookshelf. No, the correct TV to gut would be a Magnavox from about 1982. A late 70s GE will also suffice, or any System 3. This roundie has too much class!

Kamakiri's list really says it. I've joked before (well, halfway joked) about having to close my "Radio & TV Rescue Mission". For too long I drug home whatever wayward electronics happened to cross my path. Many of them I can now not even give away. Yet, if some yahoo on CL were to threaten to turn that Airline color combo I have into a fishtank, somebody would grumble. Heck, somebody might start a thread and it could go on for 3 pages. Meanwhile I can't get my $15 out of it. Oh, well.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Tim is, as usual, spot on. We can weep, wail, & gnash-Or is that Studebaker ?- our teeth over "The ones that got away', or just shrug our shoulders & try harder next time. Or maybe be a bit PROACTIVE-Most of us have friends, neighbors, relations who are older & MIGHT-Themselves- have a friend, neighbor or relation who is harboring an ancient treasure just WAITING to be discovered & saved..Often, its free for the "Come 'n' Getting" of it, or you might have to help Papaw clean out his attic/basement/closet. They're OUT there, fellas-And in my experience, a good portion of the fun IS the chase...I've also found that "One attracts Two attracts Four", & so on. I never, in my wildest dreams, thought I'd be able to amass the number/variety of radios that I've been able to-but once I started, seems like a LOT of 'em found ME. I hate losing one, especially a good example, but there's always another one next weekend fixin' to turn up...
Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison64 View Post
This is the exact reason why I stopped checking Craigslist. To many flakes. Fruits and nuts. I once posted I had free firewood ....for free idiots kept calling and wanted me to deliver and stack it... then there was the Guy who had a tube caddy packed full of good TV tubes.$75.00,said he was willing to negotiate on price, 2 he's later I get there he is not there,I ask his wife and she said he would take $60 ... but he now was keeping the tubes (must have found out about values of sweep tubes) anyway that was the final time I ever plan to check Craigslist
About a year or so ago.....I would have agreed with you about CL. At the time, I had lost out on several things from CL--including a CTC-81 DA Rca tv, a CTC-10 and a Philco 7" set--ALL ended up"disappearing, or being "sold out from under me". I began to feel that "CL IS a POS, and a waste of my time, even though I HAD acquired a couple of nice GE tube stereos with P-P 7355 amps from there, before that--plus the JOB I still have. BUT, those "losses", especially that Direct Addy RCA--kinda soured me on CL.

Still though...I "kept looking for things on CL... and by last fall--some things had CHANGED for me in that regard!!

In September...I FINALLY, after looking for over 20 years--was able to get one of those NICE 1973 RCA console stereos, The BIG one, with the last "good amp and speakers" they made--and it was NOT hundreds of miles away--only about 40---and cost VERY little--in fact I could have gotten it for free--but gave $25 for it, since it is in VERY nice shape--and I felt bad for the older people who I got it from--and they seemed VERY pleased with that. Then in early December--I found the GARAGE I now store all of my stuff in--it is MUCH nicer and MUCH larger that those 4 storage units I had and MUCH more convenient--since all is in one place--and it was LESS expensive too!! That stereo and all else now reside there--and I have a LOT of room left for "more goodies".

And a few weeks ago--I acquired a NICE looking CTC-40 combo and a NICE Philco BOL R/P console, from CL too--for less than $100 for both.

And just yesterday--I FINALLY, after about 30 years of searching--got a NICE RCA stereo console with the VERY rare RS-246 amp, only made for ONE year-1970, and since I was at the ETF anyway yesterday--I did NOT have to drive much out of the way to get it. It"almost got away" from a couple of "mishaps" regarding miscommunication with the owner, including one when I was only FIVE miles from the house....and REALLY thought I would end up going home"empty handed"--but things got resolved---and it is in the van---waiting to go to the garage. Like the big VRT-84 from last Sept...the cabinet of the VMT-68 is just TOO NICE for me to strip---and it WILL stay intact--and protected--in the garage. As a bonus--the "hang tag" was there, and a 1970 RCA stereo brochure--which I would have gladly paid probably $ 10 or so for ALONE--but it was in the record well of the console--and so was the owners manual!!

Not too mention...in sept.. I ALSO found a JOB for my best friend on CL..one that has worked out for her BEAUTIFULLY--and which she LOVES!!

So--I DO like CL. Sometimes you DO get "stung" but sometimes--it works out VERY nicely. I would have to say it is a modern form of the "tradin' post" paper that i--and probably many others--used to get things from in years past. .

Not too mention--"mishaps" can happen ANYWHERE--regarding us getting things. One happened to me yesterday at the ETF. I bought an early '50's Sylvania halolight set from a guy there, and was getting ready to put it in my van--when another guy let me know HE had bought it a few hours before ME!! Now--I did NOT "act mean or say" too bad--it is mine now" or such--as has been said to ME a number of times in those situations--but I made sure things got resolved, got back my $30 from the seller--and let the other guy take the set---which DID rightfully belong to HIM in the first place. I DID want that set--but he NEEDED it--to restore another one, and it was his rightfully anyway.

So--in the end--"sometimes we "catch the fish" and sometimes"they get away". Like others say--it is NOT worth hurting a friendship or such--to get a vintage tv, stereo or radio or such for. Like this last RCA stereo--they often DO-- just"pop up"--when we LEAST expect them to--in this case--a few days ago.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:09 PM
sampson159

rca2000-glad to hear that you are not bitter or angry over some of the cl deals.i have hit and missed on cl myself.there have been some really good ccIIs i wanted but never got a response.a roundie every now and then i miss.sometimes the hunt is more exciting than the kill.cl is a useful tool to me.ebay is allright,but the vk forum is my favorite place to buy and sell.
Audiokarma
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

damit that is almost the model i have been looking for ,mine was close to that one, it got destroyd in the flood of 1996 and this f@#@head going to just destroy it,when he could sell it to someone !!!!! i don't get some people
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

I think I'll start buying old fish tanks on CL and install color TVs in them. Bwahahahaha
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
I think I'll start buying old fish tanks on CL and install color TVs in them. Bwahahahaha

Awe, but you'll piss off the vintage fish tank collectors!

You have my vote for quote of the week BTW.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I tempted to buy an aquarium DVD to show on my vintage sets.