Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Late '40's Magnavox

Several years ago, my former neighbor inherited this Magnavox radio/phono console from his late-Aunt. When he first got it, I asked him to please give me a shot at owning it if he ever decided to part with it. He said I could have it when he died. Fortunately, he is still with us; but, they are getting ready to move into a smaller house and he asked if I wanted the Magnavox. I happily accepted and he said the only stipulation was to give him first chance to buy it back if I fixed it and decided to sell it.

This is an 8-tube AM model with a two-speed (33 and 78) Webster 256 changer that uses a cartridge that tilts for 33 or 78. The lever for the cartridge is on the rear of the tonearm and this lever also adjust the tracking force for LP or 78. I measured the tracking pressure and for 78, it's 13 grams. For LP, it's 10 grams.

Below the main control panel, there is a removable wooden panel where an optional Magnavox FM tuner can be installed. I suspect the chances of me finding the correct FM tuner are about as great as money falling out of the sky; so, I may have to use a stand-alone tuner for this model.

The cabinet is in decent shape, except for the top being a little rough. He told me that this was positioned under a window in his Aunt's house and he thinks the top got damp from the open window.

BTW, he said his daughter wanted it; but, all she wanted it for was to gut it for a TV stand. He told her that he promised it to me first and he knew that I would fix it and enjoy it. I'm glad he gave it to me because I have every intention of restoring it and I'm tired of seeing nice vintage electronics ruined for some modern purpose.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 PM
electronics packrat

1948-49. I used to have the same one in a maple cabinet and one in the Chinese Modern style cabinet that had the FM tuner. I also had the Chinese Modern style in a walnut cabinet, also with FM. I had to let them go when I moved halfway across the country some years ago. If I ever find another one, it will never get away from me.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello I have the 1947 Regancy Magnavox it has a Delco add on tuner boy does this thing rock and I have another late 40s Maggie not sure on the model....
Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Motorola Minion

That speaker may be a Jensen, probably the best to be had at the time.
Also looks like two 6V6 for outputs.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
That speaker may be a Jensen, probably the best to be had at the time.
Also looks like two 6V6 for outputs.
Magnavox made their own speakers at the time.
That model is the smaller console that year. The larger one used the parallel PP 6V6 amp and power supply, mounted on the bottom. Also had two, 12" electrodynamic speakers.
Rather impressive!
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

These were very excellent mono era consoles. Yes, this is a Magnavox speaker. It's as good or better than a comparable class Jensen in that era too.