Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Beautiful piece of equipment. I worked for a Zenith dealer from 63-70 and may have the original sales literature. Will scan and post if i find it.
Exponential mid-range horns. Found only on the top end combos.
Micro Touch 2-gram tone arm and the flip up adapter for 45 rpm records.
That veneer on top is thick enough to lightly sand if needed.
A furniture refinsher like Formbys and #0000 steel might be all it would take.
And it certainly takes 4 men to easily carry it. Just try to imagine trying to get one of those monsters up a flight of stairs.
There should be a label on the picture tube with an EIA code on it. 274 would be RCA and 1101 would be Rauland if my fading memory is correct.

Last edited by John Adams; 06-16-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 PM
M is for Memory

I need a napkin for the drool pouring from me! That thing is SWEEEEET! I think that every collector that would like a roundy combo would prefer that one.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
I'm starting to run out of room...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
I think We all are!
You mean, some of you still HAVE some room?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
please share with us what functions the two remotes can control....
Two remote controls for the same TV can cause fights!

From the picture, it looks like one is the original and one was a replacement bought perhaps when the first one had problems. I have an RC Magnavox set with the original remote control and a second one new in the package.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-17-2012, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith TOTL Roundie Combo

MSTATON said:

"Looks nice! I heard(on VK) that Zenith bought CRT's from RCA(relabeled Zenith) early on until they produced their own. That would explain the RCA type cataract. Someone else will confirm or deny this info but I did get that info here. "

WKAND Replies:
Ah-ha! This explains the Hi-Lite labels on the CRT's in some of the Zenith sets I've seen.

MSTATON said:
"Make sure and recap that amplifier before power up. those germanium transistors are getting hard to find in matched pairs."

WKAND Replies:
Where would germanium transistors be used in a 1965 Zenith amp? I have one that looks identical and it is all tube (tuner and amp) including rectifier tubes. Was not aware of the transistor use in those sets.

Last edited by wkand; 06-17-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Left off marks
Audiokarma
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

The amp is definitely solid state. A bunch of TO-3 parts mounted on two big heat sinks......no tubes to be seen. I haven't taken the amp out to look, but I'm sure it has solid state rectifiers for the power supply. The radio/tuner that's mounted above it is a tube unit.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

WOW! That Zenith looks very impressive, must have been top of the line in its day, a thing of beauty!
I would love something like this myself but here in New Zealand they only made a limited number of combos like this so the chances are finding one around here are pretty rare. Plus only made black and white combos, not colour ones.
Cheers Glen

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 06-17-2012, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I own pretty much the same set.

So, I can shed a bit of light here.

Mine is a 7500W4, it is a 1964 model. It has a 25LC20QS chassis for the TV. It has the 8LT25 SS amp for the stereo. It has an 11L8T25 tuner. The TUNER is tubes...BUT the PREAMP--on the tuner is SS--under that shield. Plug-in transistors.

I drove a good way to get my set in 2003. The tube in mine, like yours--is quite good--but with BAD cataracts. The tv worked the last time I tried it. The stereo did NOT work right, when I got it. One of those caps on the amp at the rear--the coupling caps from the P-P outs to the speakers...was open. I change it out, with a 2200/35 and mounted it UNDER the chassis--to preserve the "look". I also changed one pair of the Germanium outs--from a similar amp I had.

Mine does work, but it has an intermittent power switch. I sometimes fire it up. It is in the basement here at the house, NOT in my storage garage.; Me and ONE other guy carried it out of the store I got it at. I DID have help loading it i my van--and down to the basement, but only ONE guy--and my hand truck too. Maybe my back was better then...

\My remote does not work right--it is that big chassis over the HV cage. Likely it needs a couple of caps--I will get to it "sometime".

Last edited by rca2000; 06-17-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
M is for Memory

I have a '64 Zenith SC remote monochrome 'lugable' and it needed to have one of the slug tuned coils for filtering the signals for only one of it's functions retuned in order for that function to work. That may be all that your remote receiver chassis needs done....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 PM
"Book em Dano!"

MSTATON said:
"Make sure and recap that amplifier before power up. those germanium transistors are getting hard to find in matched pairs."

WKAND Replies:
Where would germanium transistors be used in a 1965 Zenith amp? I have one that looks identical and it is all tube (tuner and amp) including rectifier tubes. Was not aware of the transistor use in those sets.[/QUOTE]

You could get them with different amplifier options. I saw the big heatsinks, that's how I knew what amp it was. Magnavox had several amps in the same year including push pull tube, single ended tube and SS. I've worked on several Fisher SS amps with tube drivers(on the amp).
Audiokarma
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

According to the previous owner, he was listening to the radio up until just recently, when he said one channel went out. Hope it's not the output transistors. Any idea which SAMS I need for this set?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder who made that micro-touch.It looks to have a sizing apparatus similar to a collaro.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I believe the Sams that covers the tuner pre and amp is 682-13. Verify your chassis numbers on the amp chassis #8LT25 and the tuner pre #11L8T25. The record changer is covered on H.S. 660-14.

I don't see a sticker on the TV chassis but maybe on the back it will list it. If it's a 25LC20, H.S. 705-4. 25LC30, H.S. 722-4. For appearence both chassis's look the same but I'm leaning towards the '20.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama99 View Post
I wonder who made that micro-touch.It looks to have a sizing apparatus similar to a collaro.
Voice of Music. Belt driven too. Nice turntable with that 2 gram "micro-touch" tonearm!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Quote:
I believe the Sams that covers the tuner pre and amp is 682-13. Verify your chassis numbers on the amp chassis #8LT25 and the tuner pre #11L8T25. The record changer is covered on H.S. 660-14.

I don't see a sticker on the TV chassis but maybe on the back it will list it. If it's a 25LC20, H.S. 705-4. 25LC30, H.S. 722-4. For appearence both chassis's look the same but I'm leaning towards the '20.
Yesterday 06:07 AM
Thanks Marty. I'll go take a look this evening.
Audiokarma