Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
hposter

Pete Deksnis home page

Does anyone know what happened to Pete Deksnis' home page?

The link I try to follow is the latest I could find,
http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/
and it seems to time out.

Wasn't sure if it's a temporary morning headache or if AT&T pulled the plug on their home pages, and Pete needed to migrate....
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pete lost the site the beginning of 2010 when ATT made some major changes.
He didn't have a full backup, but someone had saved about 100 pages from his site, don't know if he is going to start it up again.

Chuck

Learn from the mistakes of others -
You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think AT&T pulled the plug several years ago... I plugged the link you posted into the Wayback Machine and found some archived pages:

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/*...net/~pldexnis/

Is that all that's left of a wonderful site?
jr
Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have about 100 pages of printouts of Pete's website. I gave him a set of copies at last year's ETF convention and kept a set for my own reference. They could be re-webbed by scanning & capturing the text with OCR, and then formatting in HTML. Some quality would be lost in the images, since you'd be scanning printouts rather than using the original image files. Anyhow, it would be possible (through a lot of drudgery) to recreate a big chunk of the site.

Phil Nelson
Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

As jr tech noted, you can find nearly his whole site on archive.org except that almost all of the pictures are missing. If/when Pete is going to restore it, he can get the text parts there.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to All, Hello Harry,

Over time, i've saved about 200 documents from Pete's site, html text and photographs. If you want a zip compacted file i can Mail to your address. Size is 9.22Mb.

I gave Pete the data last year for an eventual rebuild project.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM
hposter

RCA database... CT-100

Out of the saved material, did anyone get the CT-100 serial number database, or is it at any other web site? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I scanned a printout (from 2008) and posted it here:

http://antiqueradio.org/art/RCACT-10...umbers2008.pdf

It doesn't reflect later updates, if any were made.

Phil Nelson

Last edited by Phil Nelson; 05-31-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:02 PM
console lover

I do know that the CT-100 database is still being maintained and updated, but I don't know if it's currently published anywhere online.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hposter View Post
Out of the saved material, did anyone get the CT-100 serial number database, or is it at any other web site? Thanks!
Harry-

That is one of the items that is accessible from archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/200805261...mbers_List.htm

It is a capture from May 2008, though, and there are no newer captures than that date.

The CT-100 I bought recently, number B1111566, is not on that list.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

First, let me thank everyone who helped recover pages from my now-extinct CT-100 website. Fact is, the site will never be completely recovered without a direct link to the guy sitting on the archived ATT material. (it's been tried to no avail)

BACKGROUND: The site was built over eleven years starting in 1999 using a 'wizard' provided by ATT that generated the html code. Later years had some of the features written in WORD and saved in htm. These few items *are* archived in large measure on my old desktop. All the wizard-produced code was stored only in the ATT servers. But I figured, so what? ATT isn't going out of business...

WHOWOULDATHUNKIT: Briefly, the ATT division/section that hosted my site and my <pldexnis.att.net> and <THE_SET.att.net> email addresses was apparently sold to someone who kept the once-golden ATT name and shaved away what they didn't deem profitable, namely the division/section that hosted my site and email.

TODAY: While barely 25 megs in size, my CT-100 site was a maze of links and low-byte jpegs. In practical terms, it can not be rebuilt. The best I hope for are that core pages, written during the progression of my CT-100 restoration, will be posted again.

One could properly ask, were customers given an opportunity to download sites before the ax hit? I have shared my circumstances with some of you. Point is, the site is gone.

RECOLLECTIONS: Most of the editorial content consisted of personal CT-100 recollections: the very first caretaker to respond was Steve McVoy who, in his pre-ETF days, restored a CT-100 and Philco TV-123; both are now on display at the museum in Hilliard. Years before I ever met him, Bob Galanter had provided a tidbit of his youthful encounter with color television. John Folsom and I speculated in 1999 that probably only 50 Merrills remained (we were about 1/3 right). Bruce Buchannan and Scotty Avaid were talking and experimenting with early concepts of 15GP22 rebuilding. John Folsom had the first 15GP22 20-pin stems manufactured by 2004. Dave Abramson shared vintage color experiences for the site as did Steve Dichter and Steve Kissinger and Marlin Mackley; Ed Reitan phoned a CT-100 happening in 2002. All this and much much more is now vaporized in cyberspace. Depressing.

But we trudge on. I have been offered space on existing sites. When CT-100 restoration pages are again on line, I will post the URL here.

I very much appreciate your interest.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Deksnis; 06-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
I do know that the CT-100 database is still being maintained and updated, but I don't know if it's currently published anywhere online.
Yes, the databases are being maintained; they are not yet on line anywhere though.

Pete
Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
The CT-100 I bought recently, number B1111566, is not on that list.
Chris, it is on the updated list and will appear there when published.

Pete
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
M is for Memory

It is a real pity you lost part of that great site of yours.

If they did not give you warning that the site was being nixed, then in your shoes I'd have raised a legal stink with both old and new owners.

Tom C.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pete, if you'll send me the databases I'll put them on my site temporarily if you wish.
Audiokarma