Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
The Devil Inside

Picked up a few more radios

Methinks some of the ones I have are going to have to go...

Found a garage sale today with two interesting radios - A Fisher 100 FM Microceiver and a Zenith X390 clock radio with a 7N06 chassis. The Fisher is an odd design with five separate FM tuning dials and knobs - each knob is also a pushbutton, it allows you to preset five stations and tune between them at a button push. The Zenith is only the second AM/FM tube clock radio I've run across, the other was also a Zenith but utterly trashed. Picked them up for $5 each.

The Zenith looks just like this one: http://radio.mcdougallshome.net/old-...istance-radio/

Last edited by Sam Cogley; 05-18-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Sam, if that Fisher 100 works, you're going to be amazed by the sound. I have one as my main "bathroom" radio, and two more for parts/repair. There was also a second speaker as an option. I've seen exactly one of those speakers in the last eight years.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

That Zenith is a '67 ("x" in model number) that uses a '66 designed ("N" in chassis number) chassis. Zenith made tube radios as late as '69.

Not bad at all for $5/each.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:27 PM
The Devil Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That Zenith is a '67 ("x" in model number) that uses a '66 designed ("N" in chassis number) chassis. Zenith made tube radios as late as '69.

Not bad at all for $5/each.
Interesting. The tube layout chart on the Zenith is dated 1959. I haven't fired it up yet, I'll give it a full rehab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdude View Post
Sam, if that Fisher 100 works, you're going to be amazed by the sound. I have one as my main "bathroom" radio, and two more for parts/repair. There was also a second speaker as an option. I've seen exactly one of those speakers in the last eight years.
The Fisher works fine (except for the AFC, which makes the signal worse). Great sound for a little box. It has a bit of damage on one cabinet edge, the AFC knob has a broken spot (I'll fill it in with some epoxy, shape and repaint), and two of the brights are missing off of the larger knobs. It had a cable for the extension speaker, but the speaker itself was nowhere to be found - I even asked the seller. I might do a complete cabinet rebuild with real walnut veneer - I have JVC/Delmonico AM/FM MPX table radio in the garage that needs the same treatment.

If the Zenith is indeed from '69, it's rather humorous that the (presumably) more expensive Fisher from the same era has vinyl "veneer" while the Zenith has real walnut.

Last edited by Sam Cogley; 05-20-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Actually, your Zenith is from '67 ("x" model line); but, Zenith made a tube radio as late as '69 ("z" model line). Unlike many other manufacturers, Zenith made some quality "last gasp" tube radios.
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2010, 04:47 PM
The Devil Inside

Anyone know how to get into the Fisher 100? I pulled the three screws on the back but nothing happened.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Hey, Sam!

Sorry it took me so long to check back into this thread. Kind of embarrassing to admit, especially since I used to help mod this forum, but I rarely come back over here anymore.

There are four screws, three on the back and one on the bottom. Take out the one on the bottom and the chassis should push right out the front.

I'm assuming you already figured that out, though!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

its been a while bit IIRC i had a allied 333 that did the same thing, AFC made it worse, I think its how the discriminator coil is adj. the AFC looks to adj the LO until there is null at the output of the discrimator indicating its tuned to the IF frequency. If the discriminator is not set right this null take place somewhere above or below the IF frequency.

I think I was able to make minor tweaks in the secondary of the discriminator until switching from AFC to non AFC did not effect the signal strengh or sound when the non afc is tuned perfectly. Of course any time messing with IF you need to be sure which side you are adj the afc line secondary should swing from pos to neg quickly when adjusting the secondary of the discriminator.

again its been a while....
Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
The Devil Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdude View Post
Hey, Sam!

Sorry it took me so long to check back into this thread. Kind of embarrassing to admit, especially since I used to help mod this forum, but I rarely come back over here anymore.

There are four screws, three on the back and one on the bottom. Take out the one on the bottom and the chassis should push right out the front.

I'm assuming you already figured that out, though!
Actually, I hadn't. I've hauled the 100 outside to listen to baseball several times, but haven't done any work on it. Do you notice that the volume on yours wobbles around with signal strength?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

No, it's quite steady.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 AM
The Devil Inside

Obviously mine needs some work...