Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:28 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

If I got this thing for my social group, I would feel ripped off, even though it was for free!

On the other hand, there were many industrial films that were really entertaining and/or educational. When Channel 32 (now the FOX station) in Chicago first went on the air, it did a cheap but wonderful program showing these films, introduced by Richard Christiansen, Chicago Tribune theater/film critic. Some of the best showed how something was manufactured, without words. Two I recall were Oreo cookies and Western Electric telephone cable. There was also the occasional commercial message, but with some redeeming humor. The most popular (yes, there were repeat requests) was titled "A John Is a John Is a John" and touted a ventilated toilet to remove foul odors from the bathroom.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My, my, my...How things have changed....Can you see a Worst Buy or Circus Shitty displaying a lordly device like that '61 RCA nowadays ? i remember "Department stores"-a strange, outmoded concept nowadays-when I was a kid, & I'd always make a beeline for the TV dept...They'd have the big RCA/Zenith consoles-"entertainment centers" tastefully displayed w/lowered lighting, & they were always adjusted properly-no pink or green faces-and the salesMEN always wore suits/sport coats, & were usually pretty knowlegable about their wares. Lotsa times, they were older guys, as old or older than yr Dad, not some punk-ass kid looking for dope money. God, why did 1962 ever have to end ?!?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:08 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

This set is amazing.

More speculation...

According to the narration, it's an "...electronic wireless wizard remote control" with seven functions. A few years after this design, some consumer remotes were made with ultrasonic chimes struck by a small hammer when the user pushed a button. The tone was detected by a microphone and processed in a transistorized base unit.

Maybe this one gets its 14-functions with an ultrasonic transistorized tone generator in the remote ? and all or mostly tubes in the receiver/control unit? with plate relays driving dc motors?

It's gotta be an interesting schematic.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:06 PM

I just watched it again, and in the one distant shot where you can see the front of the remote, it seems to have a central dark spot on the face, which could be an ultrasonic transducer.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:26 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

a schematic...

It confirmed some speculation and provided more information.

Seven ultrasonic function blocks are clearly visible in the remote (tint, volume, on-off, etc.) and in the receiver, although there is an eighth in the receiver for the hard-off function. Only tubes (no transistors) are visible in the receiver, and it appears that dc motors are used. Can't decipher how the fine tuning works though.

There seem to be seven, not 14, ultrasonic tones used.

How then is the up/down function accomplished? Pulse/CW? Pulse/Pulse? (Either one with a simple f-to-V converter and threshold detector?)

In another email, Steve indicates that a transistor was not obvious in the parts list. Puzzle is still: what's the active device in the remote? There must be one there somewhere.

The drawing with relays and tubes showing is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remote receiver layout.jpg (41.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Pete Deksnis; 06-28-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
My, my, my...How things have changed....Can you see a Worst Buy or Circus Shitty displaying a lordly device like that '61 RCA nowadays ? i remember "Department stores"-a strange, outmoded concept nowadays-when I was a kid, & I'd always make a beeline for the TV dept...They'd have the big RCA/Zenith consoles-"entertainment centers" tastefully displayed w/lowered lighting, & they were always adjusted properly-no pink or green faces-and the salesMEN always wore suits/sport coats, & were usually pretty knowlegable about their wares. Lotsa times, they were older guys, as old or older than yr Dad, not some punk-ass kid looking for dope money. God, why did 1962 ever have to end ?!?
Such is life...
Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Pete,

What leads you to believe that only seven tones were used?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:01 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut
Pete,

What leads you to believe that only seven tones were used?
Wayne,

The schematic is too course to interpret circuitry, but you can see concentrations of circuits, and they always appear in a group of seven, never fourteen. You can see it in both the remote unit and the receiver portions of the schematic .

If you look at the receiver assembly drawing posted above, you see the seven-in-a-set occurring there too. Take the seven circles along the bottom in line with the power transformer. There seems to be a frequency associated with each one. "OFF ON" COIL 43.32 KC and "VOLUME" COIL 28.2 KC or something like that. Hard to be exact and say for sure, but I assume they are the L in LC tanks used in circits that separate/detect the tones.

If each function used two frequencies, I'd want to see twice the coils...?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Active device in the remote is a 2N408 PNP transistor, and a sonic transducer. I am not sure howe the reverse function works but for reverse there is +6.5 volts on the emitter of the oscillator transistor q2001. What really looks like a nightmare is that only one motor with a series of slip clutches is used in the reciever to control the functions. The functions are plate driven relays from the 12az7 tubes. There is also a motor reverse relay. I'm glad I didn't have to service one.

Bill R.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Banned

I am very surprised that nobody here

was around one when it was new. I guess all you guys are too young!
It would seem lke somebody would have an RCA manual for it.
Apparently information from a past that is not so far away is already lost?
For example; The technical info needed to reproduce or repair those 15GP22's. I am surprised this info is not available from RCA or somebody. It makes me wonder about all the other information that is being thrown away or lost as those who know die off.
Audiokarma
Old 06-26-2006, 01:12 PM

Is it possible the remote unit has 2 oscillators, one variable frequency to choose function and one devoted to "reverse"?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Wayne

Well I can see the remote generating 14 tones easily enough. But what about detecting them in the receiver; there seem to be only seven inductors covering that function. I suppose a latching relay could be used to switch between function and "reverse."
Old 06-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

not 1961

that's a late production ctc 9 the sets from 1961 had the new vista insignia on the picture tube bezel. that is possibly a late 1959 or 1960 commercial
Old 06-26-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis
Well I can see the remote generating 14 tones easily enough. But what about detecting them in the receiver; there seem to be only seven inductors covering that function. I suppose a latching relay could be used to switch between function and "reverse."
I was thinking something like:

Any one of six tones, that function "up"
7th tone only, ON/OFF
Any one of six plus the "ON/OFF" tone simultaneously, the corresponding function down.
Requires the remote control to have one oscillator with 6 frequency selections plus one more with ON/Off frequency only.

Can someone post the schematics in addition to the receiver layout?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like the base frequency of the oscillator is 43.25kc. This is the freq. used for on/off. The rest of the frequencies are as follows:
Channel 42.0kc
Fine tunning 40.75kc
Volume 39.5kc
Brightness 38.25
Color 37.0kc
Tint 35.75

I think old tv nut is right. looks like reverse is a combination of the function frequency and the base frequency used for on/off. There is only one oscillator.
It also appears that the reverse function is am versus fm for the other functions. In the receiver reverse is picked off at the microphone passes through the agc stages then to the reverse detector (Half of a 6aw8 wired as a diode), then to a buffer anad is rectified to drive the motor reverse relay.
I have the schematic in the field service guide, but right now my scanner is down.

Bill R
Audiokarma