Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:20 AM
kingspec

Lightbulb 1966 GE color tube 21FJP22A

Hello, new member here...

I'm not actually an old TV buff, but have been into electronics for many years. Instead of tossing this old tube, I decided to check on the Internet to see if it might have some interest and value to someone. Here's the story:

In July of '66, when I was 13, our whole family went to the local Woolco (Woolworth's answer to K-Mart) in search of a new television. We had been watching a b/w Zenith, and listening to the sound from an old Pilot sitting on top. The Zenith died two days before this Woolco trip, and my dad finally gave-in to the whining.

The salesman was good and with extra encouragement from his family, my dad bought the largest television combo in the store--maybe in the world! It was a GE in a furniture-grade cabinet, Early American maple, with a turntable on one side and stereo amp/tuner on the other. It was our first color tv, and we were so proud--neighbors would come over on Sunday nights to watch Disney and Bonanza.

In about 1975, after three of his four children were grown and moved away, my dad won a 25" RCA that became the #1 set in the living room. The GE was moved to the den and seldom watched. By 1980, it was in a spare bedroom, covered with a bedspread and used as a horizontal surface to store untold knic-knacks.

Dad died in 1986, and a year ago I moved my mother (Alzheimers patient) into our home. I'm in the process of renovating her home to put it on the market. One of the pieces of furniture my mom wanted to keep is, you guessed it--the old solid maple GE. I've removed the guts, and building-in a 31" in place of the round tube. The stereo system died years ago, so those parts will not be reused.

So, I have a tube that appears to be in perfect shape, and, as far as I know, was last powered-up around 1980. The power cord was missing, and not having the time to rig one up, I didn't mess with it. The chassis is in one piece and the flyback looks to be fine.

My question is, do I have junk, or a "treasure?"

Thanks,
Kingspec
Old 05-13-2006, 03:13 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingspec
My question is, do I have junk, or a "treasure?"
For me in Germany, such a combo would be a treasure. I believe that such a nice television combo does not exist here on the entire continent!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:43 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I'm sure someone here will take the parts off your hands. If the CRT is still good, it would be a shame to throw it out.

You'll have to tell us where you are since it will be very difficult to ship the CRT and probably not worth the cost of shipping the chassis.
Yes! The tube is definitely worth placing in the hands of someone who can use it... If you're in SoCal, I am interested!!!

Charles
motocrossKXrider@yahoo.com
Old 05-13-2006, 08:52 PM
kingspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye-Halbert TV
Yes! The tube is definitely worth placing in the hands of someone who can use it... If you're in SoCal, I am interested!!!

Charles
motocrossKXrider@yahoo.com

I'm near the Denver metro area...don't know the weight, but it's HEAVY. Would likely be expensive to ship.
Audiokarma
Old 05-14-2006, 12:43 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Yes, I guess that would be a bit expensive, and also it likely would get busted...

Charles
Old 05-14-2006, 07:36 AM
AK Member

My Daughter and Son in Law live in Golden, CO and we're going to be visiting them around the first of June. She's already storing a Muntz B&W set for me and I'm sure I could talk them into picking up the remnants of the set. We'll be traveling in a Mini Van and hauling it back would be no problem. I'm about to start restoration of an RCA CTC-11 and could but the tube to good use.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:24 PM
kingspec

Going to a good home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bassham
My Daughter and Son in Law live in Golden, CO and we're going to be visiting them around the first of June. She's already storing a Muntz B&W set for me and I'm sure I could talk them into picking up the remnants of the set. We'll be traveling in a Mini Van and hauling it back would be no problem. I'm about to start restoration of an RCA CTC-11 and could but the tube to good use.
Randy, it's yours! Glad to find someone who can use this tube. All I ask is that you keep my email and post me a pic of the unit when you get it up and running.

Have them give me a call anytime. I live near Frederick (north of Denver 30 miles), but my mom's house (where the tube and other gear is located) is in Northglenn. They'll know where that is--less than 20 miles from Golden.

Dan King
303-776-4070
303-910-3837 (cell)[/COLOR]
Old 05-15-2006, 06:08 AM
AK Member

Thanks Dan, I'll get in touch with NR-1 Daughter and let her make the arrangements with you.....
Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

Thanks Dan!

Thank you for being so generous with your parts and that really sweet rememberance!
Audiokarma
Old 06-07-2006, 10:12 PM
AK Member

I'm on my way back home from Denver and picking up the tube, "Thanks Dan". Also while in Denver I found an extremely nice 21" B&W Zenith High Fidelity Console in a Mahogany cabinet that is next to perfect, it's a 22 tube set with 2 5U4's and an RCA replacement tube. The 21FJP22, the Muntz 21 inch table set, and the Zenith are in the back of our Town&Country along with all the luggage for a 3 week vacation, an Alaska cruise, and my Wife's power wheel chair. Needless to say I'm making full use of the outside rear view mirrors.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:55 PM
<--1956 300B

OUCH! Did you utilize the roof luggage rack?

polaraman
Old 06-08-2006, 07:54 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
OUCH! Did you utilize the roof luggage rack?

polaraman
Not yet.....She won't let me put the chair on the roof.....

Looks like you made quite a hall....I just gotta get me one of them Dodge PU's

RB

Last edited by Randy Bassham; 06-08-2006 at 07:57 AM.