Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Califone 1155 stereo transcription record player

Here's a solid state Califone model 1155 stereo transcription record player and PA from 1974. When I got it, the amp was dead and I found two open traces on the PC board - one in the B+ line and one in the output stage. After I fixed that problem, the output transistors got very hot in short order. That was due to a couple of 8.2 ohm resistors that had gone way up in value (one measured 32 ohms and the other one measured 55 ohms). It's a good thing those traces were open because that's probably what saved this unit from needing serious repair. Had they left it on with those bad resistors, the output transistors would have shorted and that would have likely taken out the driver stage.

After I replaced those resistors, things cooled off; but, it still didn't perform very well. I found many more resistors that were way off and after replacing them, along with the electrolytic capacitors, it sounds much better. The cartridge is an Astatic 133 and even though it works, it sounds like it's dying and will need to be replaced in the near future. I may install a magnetic cartridge and a preamp.

I think this was the last model from Califone that would play 16" records. Later models of this unit would only accept up to 12" records.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 AM
Peanut Head

I would certainly go with a magnetic cartridge upgrade. What size speakers are those? 5x7, 6x9's?

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

6x9.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

At least, the turntable doesn't have that "kiddie phono" look!
Can we see pictures of the amp?