Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 PM
VK Member

Airline B&W TV

I have this Airline 1948 Model 94GSE-3018B B&W TV with record player and radio. I didn't know if it worked or not so put a 100 watt bulb in series with it and turned it on. The bulb lights bright so does that mean the unit has a short in it or does it pull that much current to light the bulb bright?

What Sams would this TV be in? ...and where can I get one?

Thanks,
John
Old 11-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Hi John, a 100w bulb should dim by half or so if there are no shorts so I would guess your filters are bad.

I have this same set, I think I borrowed a schematic so I don't have one to copy.
The TV chassis is a Sentinel 400TV essentially but there are some substantial differences since the power supply and audio amp is shared with the Radio/Phono.

If your dial scale is flaking I have a restored image of it that can be printed out on a laser printer and put on new glass.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:45 AM
VK Member

Airline TV

Thanks, but my dial scale is OK. Will the filters make the light bright even if they are not shorted? I checked everywhere for shorts and could find none.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Good filters will generally make the light bright initially then start to dim down after a few seconds when the tubes warm up and the filters charge.

If there's any doubt just hook another 100w bulb in parallel with the first one, if it's still as bright after 30 seconds then something is definitely amiss.

If it stays bright unplug it and check the Filter cans and see if any are getting warm, if any are more than room temperature it would indicate a shorted cap.

A short doesn't have to be zero ohms to ground, even several thousand ohms across a capacitor is a short in this instance.

Last edited by Eric H; 11-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
VK Member

Airline TV

I found a Sams at our library but it was in a big thick book so could not get a good copy but enough shows of the power supply anyway and will hunt again tonight for shorts. Thanks for the help.
Audiokarma
Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

What number is the Sams? I might have a spare copy I could mail you.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 AM
VK Member

Hi Bryan, It's in Sams 93A-2.

Well, last night I took another look and found that I had only a 60 watt bulb in series with the set so put 100 watt in series and it still lit pretty bright but not quite as bright as the 60. I changed three of the filters as in the can one had started to spit out a lot. I lelt it on quite awhile and could see no filaments liting but the bulb was fairly bright but not fully bright. I decided to chance it and plug right into the 120 straight away and see what would happen. The radio played really good. I don't know about the TV part yet. In checking tubes I found one 6SN7 that had one section was completely dead. Haven't checked all the tubes yet and there are two filter cans to deal with. Thanks for help and patience, John.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I do have spare copies of that one...if you would like a copy send me a PM with your mailing address. As I recall, those "A" Sams are just schematics, not the whole shebang that was offered for most models.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:59 PM
VK Member

Hi Bryan,

That would be great if you could send me a copy of the schematic. thanks
John Graber
3751 S. Apple Farms Circle
West Valley City Ut 84119-6197