Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Factory schematic for CTC-9?

I'm doing some horizontal oscillator work on a ctc-9b "Boswell". But the Sams for the ctc-9's doesn't jive well with the oscillator board's part numbers and some component values. Does anyone know where I can find a factory schematic for this set, or at least for the correct horizontal oscillator board portion?
Thanks much and Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

This help? From my RCA field service manual. Save it, I routinely delete pics to save forum space.

Last edited by miniman82; 03-01-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey miniman! If that schematic is for a ctc-9, then that should help me out a whole lot. You're very kind and thanks. I still would love to find a complete factory manual/schematic someday if anyone stumbles across one. Again, thanks.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey there Miniman. Thanks again for the CTC9 schematic. It turns out that almost every resistor on the oscillator board is wrong. My chassis is the CTC9B and your schematic should be the correct one for the "B". The horizontal was way off when I got the set, but the Sams for the CTC9's listed different resistors. I would expect that the previous owner used the sams whereas I am expecting that your copy from the RCA factory schematic is more correct. Much thanks again for getting me back on track.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the mid-sixties RCA sold a starter kit for color TV servicing. It included that field service guide, as well as several tubes that were used in color sets. That was the only service information I used for several years. I seldom bought Sams for color sets, prefering OEM manuals.
Audiokarma
Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's the horizontal oscillator adjustment from the RCA field service book.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf horiz osc0001.pdf (169.9 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by reeferman; 12-23-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Use this bigger attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf h osc adj0001.pdf (773.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
Hey there Miniman. Thanks again for the CTC9 schematic. It turns out that almost every resistor on the oscillator board is wrong. My chassis is the CTC9B and your schematic should be the correct one for the "B". The horizontal was way off when I got the set, but the Sams for the CTC9's listed different resistors. I would expect that the previous owner used the sams whereas I am expecting that your copy from the RCA factory schematic is more correct.
No problem, I got this RCA factory book from Wayne but I have no idea if it's possible to order. I think the only way would be online, Ebay or otherwise. FWIW, I routinely find oddities in Sams books, so I don't rely on them. The RCA book has differences too, like with the 21-CT-55. In the RCA book, it's actually a CT-100 chassis which isn't right at all.

The CTC-9 never had any chassis revisions like the others did, so there's only one schematic for it. I looked at the Sams briefly, and it does seem to match up with what I have in the RCA book. Here's a link to it from the ETF site:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/image...Sams-459-1.pdf

Between the 2, you should be able to tell what's right and what's wrong.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for all the help on this one. I even purchased a cd rom with many RCA factory service manuals for older sets. It even covered the CTC9 chassis. I thought I had what I needed, but it turned out that even that book's schematic for the CTC9B didn't match the connections on my particular board. The only schematic that matched my horiz oscillator board (connection for connection) was the one that "miniman" sent me (thanks again buddy). I should hopefully now be back on the best track. I'm still amazed how the Sam's and the supposed factory manual can be that far off on what says IS the schematic for the CTC9B. My board appears to be completely original to the set. Again, my thanks to all who responded. This Boswell is a beautiful set with the original crt. I can't wait to see what she can do.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the link to the Sams. I have what I think is a CTC-9C. Can't look right now because I have moved the set to Florida already. I did purchase a copy of that Sams. It does not exactly list my model number. But I guess that is the best we can expect.
Audiokarma