Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Nic

Getting TV and Radio ready for sale

Hey All,

First time on this site! I just recently bought a 1950's house from the original owner who built a 1950's tube tv and radio into the wall. I want to get it ready for sale, problem is that I don't know if it works because the power cord has definitely seen better days and I don't want to fry my gizzard plugging it in. Do you think buyers would be more interested if everything were in it's original condition or if after I monkeyed with it. If it's better with a new chord any suggestions / advice on this?

Thanks! - I attached a picture

Nic
Old 01-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Banned

Cool!

Welcome Nic,

One doesn't see many of the old sets that were built in surviving these days. It was popular once and was often accompanied with an owner installing a larger picture tube on an older chassis with a small 10" round tube for example.

What are you trying to do. Fix up the set to re-sell the house with it installed, or sell the set?

If this set is not a color TV please let me know and I'll relocate this thread to the vintage B&W TV forum. If it IS a 50's color set (hard to see) I'll gladly buy it off you (in case it is a 22" Westinghouse)!

Last edited by Rob; 01-24-2004 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Hello Nic,

This looks like someone took apart a TV and home-brewed it into the wall rather than a set that was designed for the purpose, as such I don't know if it would have much value beyond it's parts.

What does the front look like, is there a brand name?

Eri
Old 01-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Nic

Thanks!

Thanks Rob,

Tonight I'll write down all the info I can find on various parts and make a post tomorrow.

Until then!

Nic

Oh - I'm getting the TV ready for sale, not the house.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Nic

Eri,

See reply above. I'll write more tomorrow.

Nic
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Nic

I scanned the set and discovered that it is a Truetone set. The serial number on the back was Q276987 (if that helps at all). Any advice as to where to look to get the information that you may need?

Also, what do you think about the power chord situation?

Thanks!

Nic
Old 01-28-2004, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like it uses a detatchable power cord...as a test you can borrow a cord for an electric mixer (like you use for cake batter)
and try that. The set probably has old paper caps that most likely would need replaced for proper and safe operation.

Also: WATCH OUT! It looks like a hot chassis set--the power line may be connected directly to the chassis! I don't see a power transformer. If you're going to test it don't touch any parts of it while power is on.

Not to be pessimistic but this equipment has, in my opinion, very little monetary value. The only person who would be interested would be a die-hard TV enthusiast who is willing to build a new cabinet, or can use parts such as the CRT or tubes, and these are very few and far between. I personally would not pay more than $10 or $15.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Nic

Here's a picture of the front. You can see the radio tuner to the left.

Nic
Old 01-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Nic

Chad -

Thanks for the warning!

Sounds like a lot of hassle and risk. It might not be worth it. Our county historical society asked a while back if we would be interested in donating it. I guess that might be the best option.

Nic
Old 01-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Banned

Nic,

Chad is right. Virtually no monetary value there, just some historical and nostaligia type interest for a very small audience. IMO the value of this set would be greatly enhanced from a historical perspective if you could donate it to the local museum along with the wall it is built into. That I think is key to giving this set historical interest. Without this wall I think you have a bunch of practically worthless parts.
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2004, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nic, yes that would be good to donate it to someone who can use it for its historical value.

Also, are you familiar with CRT handling procedures...the picture tube can shatter with explosive force if dropped or struck, so make sure it is handled carefully while removing it...it should be stored in a closed box with padding around it...it should not be left in the open without some protection.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Nic

Rob - Chad

Thanks for the advice. The whole wall is coming down anyhow as part of a remodel. So giving it to them is no problem.

Maybe they will want the curved, red 1950's bar that is also in the room. The original owners must have been real swank in their day! The coolest folks on the block.

Cheers,

Nic
Old 01-29-2004, 12:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its ashame these don't have any value-this is kinda neat, looks real clean, and you don't see many Truetone televisions.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Nic

Yea, I was quite surprised to learn that, too. Yet, the museum has agreed to come with a crew, remove it from the wall and handle all shipping and packing. We will then get a nice non-profit tax benefit where we get to write in our estimated value of the items donated.

It's a win-win situation. AND they are going to take that bar too!

Nic
Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Banned

Wow Nic, that's terrific news!!!!
Audiokarma