Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

'83 Midland (Samsung) 13" color TV

This TV was in a house they were cleaning out and I started to pass it up for the $10 non-negotiable price they wanted for it; but, I'm sure no one else would have bought it and it would have ended up in the garbage. So, I bought it.

All it needed was it's controls cleaned and adjusted. I have an idea that this set was likely sold by Western Auto because the guy who lived in the house before moving to a nursing home used to work for Western Auto and there was also a '70's Truetone stereo there that I bought. I seem to remember WA dropping the Truetone name in '81 and then they started selling Midland branded products.

As you can see, it's a rebadged Samsung. Twenty years ago, I recall seeing a lot of Samsung TV's from this vintage and most of them had either weak CRT's or toasted flyback transformers. Most of the bad flybacks that I saw in these failed by working one minute and then literally blowing up with smoke and an odor the next minute. However, this set does not look to have had extensive use; so, maybe it has some life left in it. For a cheap 30 year old TV, it has a nice picture.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:14 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I saved a WA freezer from the early 60's. Just needed relays and works great. I work for a appliance repair shop and they were just going to scrap it. Much better than those cheap Chinese Haier branded ones. Nice set and in great shape also. It's been years since I've seen a Midland tv.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

i just watched your video on this it & looks like a nice tv