Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question about 21FBP22

This tube I have in my set is, with my understanding, not a tube that can get cataracts (glass not bonded to the tube). Was there some oil or something between the tube and (what appears to be plastic) safety cover? On mine its like possibly something drained out? I can see something that has run inside and its making the picture hazy, and on the inside of the cabinet there is something that looks like it leaked out. Can this be taken apart and cleaned out? Do I have to refill it with oil or something?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

its the gasket breaking down. yes it can be cleaned. but leave it be until you get the rest of the set working.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok thanks I had planned on leaving it until then, but was just wondering if I would have a hazy picture forever
Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

its kinda nasty but it cleans up well.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:23 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Yeah, it's some kinda thick gooey oily substance. Cleans up easy with goo gone or alcohol, but it makes a mess of anything it touches. Wear pants and a shirt you never want to wear again.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Yeah, it's some kinda thick gooey oily substance. Cleans up easy with goo gone or alcohol, but it makes a mess of anything it touches. Wear pants and a shirt you never want to wear again.
Well, Nick, I also was going to ask what I will need to clean the donor tube that will go in the "coffin," but you've answered that. I can attest to the nasty nature. The second tube I got from you (with the lesser emission) was so deteriorated that the glass slid around on the ooze as I was carrying it into the house (fortunately had my hand under the face) and now has oozed out onto the blanket I set it on. The blanket now could be used for a stage setting of Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby. Even if there's something that could remove it from the blanket, I wouldn't try to do it in the washing machine.

By the way, once the tube is clean, what's the best thing for gluing the glass back in place?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I use some thin weather strip around the edge of the tube. The stuff that has the sticky on one side. You center the safety glass and use packing tape around the edges. Go all the way around with small pieces. Make sure it's very clean on the tube face and inside the safety glass, otherwise you'll notice the dirt/fingerprints and you will have to start over. Mine was bonded. Still applies to the non bonded ones if you do not want to use that oily gasket again. You could also just tape the rubber to the CRT to keep it from moving after cleanup.

Last edited by mstaton; 12-09-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ah, the good old days. Change a 21FBP22, fire it up, and see dirt between the glass and CRT! It happened to the best of us. Return to Go, do not collect $200. Like mstaton suggested, wrap tape around the perimeter.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Wayne,

I wasn't aware they needed to be affixed, I always figured they were held in place by the CRT support ring when installed. I guess if you wanted it held down by something, you could always put clear packing tape around the outside same as decatting an FJP.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks - will be interesting to do this.
Audiokarma
Old 02-14-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Well, I finally got around to cleaning up this tube in prep for using the safety glass on another tube. I found out the rubber edge gasket itself is fine - just a slightly sticky surface. All the black oozy gunk (most of which is gone because it came out and got on the blanket I was using) is apparently some glue used inside the rubber gasket to stick it to the edge of the glass. The gasket goes over the edge so there is rubber on both sides, cushioning both the tube face and the bezel, I guess.

I cleaned the glass with dish soap and then Windex, but there is still some hazy film, so I will try alcohol next, and finish with distilled water, but it looks like this is much easier than I thought it would be.

CAM00780 by old_tv_nut, on Flickr

CAM00779 by old_tv_nut, on Flickr

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 02-14-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM
M is for Memory

If alcohol fails on the glass try some 'goof off', just don't let much of it get on the rubber...It tends to melt the surface of petroleum based products (and is a good way to remove PVA residue during cataract work).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4