Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

If I ever plan to travel to the US some day you guys will be the first to know.... I expect a 'full demonstration' of a colour roundie, a Zenith porthole and one of those cool RCA Projection Sets and more plus a road trip to an old TV shop thats been locked up for 30 years...Am I asking too much??....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
If you are ever in the US, I'm sure anyone here would be happy to show you one. Working condition no doubt.

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 AM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Thanks for those photos EM From what I've seen of your early sets the picture quality looks really good and such natural colour, those colour bars pretty much say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Shoot! My prediction came true faster than I thought possible.
Hmmm, now what other nice nice things can I predict..... mmmbuhahaha

Nick, if he passes on that Philco, and the price is right I could probably give it a home.

Glenz, here is a couple photos of my roundy running.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing....

Tom C.

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 AM
sampson159

love the pics!that roundy looks as good as it did when new.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:00 PM
M is for Memory

Those pics are before I had and fixed a vertical failure. The gray scale is slightly off now but still good. I also have always had what I think are drive bars that I have to get around to trying to fix. The focus tends to vary with scene content (which also reaks havok with convergence). Most of these problems don't show in photos, but are just bad enough to bug me in person so I still have work left on this set.

Glad you liked the pictures.

Tom C.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
WOW! That was my first thought and then I was like, nah, those NEVER show up. Those are great sets but I hear that they are a bit hard on the flyback, watch your cathode current and you should be fine, assuming ths fly's good.
Awesome 5 score too! I'm happy for you!
You were right about the flyback it's bad not much hope for this set I guess now I see why the set had so little use and from what I read in other trends it is almost impossible to find a fly for one of these I also read only Zenith made the flys for these. I have to wonder if there was none available back in the day and maybe that's why it was taken out of service with such low hours. The fly in it looks barely used except for some wax on the bottom of the cage and the tubes in the cage are original and still look new not darkend and dusty like you see on other old sets. I seen that someone had checked with Moyers and they had none to.
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do some research, you will find a flyback you can sub in there if you are willing to spend the time. It will most likely require changing the bracket and maybe changing some of the wiring around but it can be done. Zenith is one of the tougher ones to sub so look at other Zenith sets for something similar.

Last edited by ctc17; 07-17-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
It is a 29jc20
Congratulations, and I am envious! Been looking for one of those for a LONG time.... That's the early one with the two 3DG4 B+ rectifiers. If it ever comes up for sale, please keep me in mind...

Charles
Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
You were right about the flyback it's bad not much hope for this set I guess now I see why the set had so little use and from what I read in other trends it is almost impossible to find a fly for one of these I also read only Zenith made the flys for these. I have to wonder if there was none available back in the day and maybe that's why it was taken out of service with such low hours. The fly in it looks barely used except for some wax on the bottom of the cage and the tubes in the cage are original and still look new not darkend and dusty like you see on other old sets. I seen that someone had checked with Moyers and they had none to.
Perhaps SOMEONE, somewhere, DOES have a "spare" 29JC20 flyback, .. that worked the last time it was fired (in 1989), maybe even in a nearly complete chassis.... hanging around unused.....
Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Perhaps SOMEONE, somewhere, DOES have a "spare" 29JC20 flyback, .. that worked the last time it was fired (in 1989), maybe even in a nearly complete chassis.... hanging around unused.....
....perhaps someone does. What is the Zenith part number? That'll speed things up, as a lot of us have parts, but to what chassis they go to, I dunno. With no Sams for your set, and no part number, I am unable to help, and my parts stash is quite large. Have you run the part number against Thordarson and Triad cross references?

I'd love to help, but something to go on would be nice...

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
....perhaps someone does. What is the Zenith part number? That'll speed things up, as a lot of us have parts, but to what chassis they go to, I dunno. With no Sams for your set, and no part number, I am unable to help, and my parts stash is quite large. Have you run the part number against Thordarson and Triad cross references?

I'd love to help, but something to go on would be nice...

Cheers,
Thanks..That would be cool if someone did have one the part number is S-53620 I am checking a couple of places to.
Audiokarma
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I checked, and don't have either the 95S-53620, or the 895-00737 replacement specified by Zenith in their 1983 parts catalog listing.

Cheers,

Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Followin' the Rules...

More digging reveals the S-56538 is the listed (in 12/1969) Zenith replacement for your S-53620. Triad D-327 replaces the S-56538. My Thordarson guide lists the Fly 274 as a replacement for the S-56538 as well....

Cheers,

Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM
"Book em Dano!"

The first in the bunch to work

This is the first set out of the ones we picked up in Seattle. It is a CTC-16XL from 1966. I removed the cataracts and reinstalled the CRT and cleaned out the cabinet. Not too dirty. The chassis was very clean. It needed several tubes. All the caps check good. There was some bad solder so I went over all the boards carefully and re-soldered anything that looked flaky plus all the grounds. I cleaned all the controls and tuner. I was rewarded with a raster and a very decent picture. It will need a convergence touch up. I checked the cathode current and its about 208ma, I made a permanent jumper for convenience on a small terminal strip. I made some minor adjustments to the vertical height, horizontal centering and grayscale. I set the HV to 24KV as per Sams. The electrolytics stay cool even after several hours of running. This is a very easy chassis to work on. Much easier than the CTC-9. here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03247.jpg (88.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03248.jpg (92.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03257.jpg (77.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03255.jpg (73.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03258.jpg (98.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like the CTC-16, very easy to work on. I routinely replace the HOT coupling caps (think there are two a .01 and a .0068 IIRC), the 1kv caps on vert and audio out transformers (white ceramic tube caps). The .0082 1kv vert out plate cap. I do the 1kv just cause I cant really test them with my cap tester.

Then there are the 3 .01 coupling caps in the 6GU7 grids on the chroma board. the one that is right next to the tube and a power resistor ALWAYS test weak, the other two generally test ok, but I replace them anyway.

I also like to replace the .1 video coupliing cap to the 12xxx video out tube, and the .1 in the AGC (just because AGC is a pain if its not right). All the hi value lower volt brown drops are suspect, but if they sit right next to a heat source I like to check them.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I will order all new caps sometime in the future. right now it works very well.
Audiokarma