Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony 20" WEGA

I was at a flea market the other day and someone had two Sony's they were trying to sell. One was a common as dirt late '80's mono 19" Trinitron with a woodgrain plastic cabinet for $25. They were good sets and I actually used one for years; but, they are common enough that I think I could find one for less if I really wanted to.

The other one was a silver cased 20" flat CRT WEGA from 2002. A set such as that would probably be the only thing from the SPC era that I might buy to keep; but, not for $50. I think these WEGA's had their share of problems; but, they appear to be better than most anything else from the SPC era. I don't recall seeing too many smaller screen WEGA's, either. I guess it was because they were more expensive and most people were willing to settle for the $89 china-mart special.

The guy who has these buys and sells houses and his flea market stock consist of things that were left behind in old houses.

He also has two Philco console stereo's that I want. At the beginning of the month, they were $250 and $100. Saturday, they were $45 and $40. I had already offered $25/each; but, he didn't want to come down that low at this time. I'm going to watch them, as well as the TV's. If they come down to something more reasonable, I may get them.

I guess $50 would not be a bad price for the Sony, if I really needed a TV; but, I know I'd have a hard time getting over $25 for it and I know that later model 20" sets can be obtained for less if one looks hard enough.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sonys and Philco stereos.

I bought a 27" Sony Wega at a thrift in 2008 for $50.00. I bought it exactly 5 years to the day it was purchased new. It came with the instruction book and the date of purchase was written on it. It's been used a lot more since I have it, than the original owner.
I also have a 20" Wega I picked up on trash day a couple of years ago. Works great.
I also have a 13" Wega I picked up at the ward yard a year ago. some retard cut the power cord off. Worked great with a new cord.
All the sets have a complete set of input jacks, except the 13" which doesn't have an "S" video connector.
Are the Philco stereos tube or solid state? SS, aren't worth much at all. Philco's tube stuff is pretty decent.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

One is tube, the other is SS.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 27" Wega that I bought new (for more than a 46" LED costs today, ouch). It's been a great TV. I had it repaired under warranty once when it was hit by lightning, but heck, that can happen to anything.

It's still in use in my living room. My wife plays Dance Dance Revolution on it, lol. It sits in the corner with an Energy 8" Subwoofer behind it, connected to the variable output. The two together have a great sound.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 20 inch Sony Wega KV 20FS100 I bough brand new in 2002. It's been a great set with no problems. Heck, even the remote still has the original Sony batteries!
Audiokarma
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legenbass77 View Post
I have a 20 inch Sony Wega KV 20FS100 I bough brand new in 2002. It's been a great set with no problems. Heck, even the remote still has the original Sony batteries!
I think those were still carbon-zinc cells. They won't leak, if they're not dead.
Not too sure about alkaline. When they're old, they leak a clear, corrosive liquid and get a salty film.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I "sorta" still have a big silver 27" WEGA set. I got it in like 2001, and when I went to an LCD, gave it to a family member in LA. NOW, THEY upgraded to an LED Sammy like mine, and I carted the WEGA to some friends down HERE in San Diego.....and that set has really run FLAWLESS all that time.

ONLY reason I replaced it was I wanted to build a home theater PC, and it not only had no VGA in, but using the S-Video into the WEGA from a computer VGA card with an S-Video out...was just TERRIBLE. I don't suspect this was the Sony's fault at all, just that S-Video resolution makes for good TV, but NOT something you want to read text from.

That 'ol Sony still going strong ten years later...and still "in the family" even though it doesn't live in my apartment anymore. It's NEVER been opened up yet for any reason.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Today, they had the 20" Wega in operation and the price had been lowered to $40. I must say that it had a nice picture and I almost bought it; but, decided to leave it there. As I was leaving, another man was looking at it. I don't know if he bought it or not.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Motorola Minion

After their 1973 Zenith 25DC57 got squirrelly, My parents bought the KV27FS100 about 2001.

It had no issues in 9 years of daily use and is now a seldom-used bedroom set. I totally agree these are one of the best SPC sets made in that era.

There was another model KV27FV100 that had a feature that automatically lowered the volume on "louder" channels as you were surfing cable.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-03-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: finish
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
After their 1973 Zenith 25DC57 got squirrelly, My parents bought the KV27FS100 about 2001.

It had no issues in 9 years of daily use and is now a seldom-used bedroom set. I totally agree these are one of the best SPC sets made in that era.

There was another model KV27FV100 that had a feature
I think every early solid state Zenith set got squirrely, early in it's life.
Audiokarma
Old 08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I ended up buying it and it's a model KV-20FS100. Then, a lady called wanting a TV. I told her about the Sony and quoted her $75, in hopes it would scare her off. She says she's interested and is coming over; but, they all say that and then never show up. If she wants it for $75, great. If not, it's going in my bedroom.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I guess I scared her off. Seriously, it would have been better for her to tell me that she wasn't interested instead of telling me that she'd be over in a few minutes. I seriously doubt that anyone else will give me $75 for this set; so, in the house it goes.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

BTW, I saw where my set cost around $279 when new. At the same time, one could have gone to wal-mart and bought a 19" Funai set for under $100. Of course, most people bought the set that was under $100. That's why there are not many of the smaller Sony Wega's floating around.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:01 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
My 27" WEGA was $500 or thereabouts in like 2001. I don't remember it's model number, but was just a big silver BEAST of a thing. I chose the "lower" one that didn't have the PIP and all that silliness. All I wanted then was a REAL reliable set, that would also have S-Video inputs for my Panasonic LaserDisc player (still have).

There were several 27" sets I could have had for under $250, but I realy wanted a Sony since I worked for Sony at the time (writing software for a line of small robots)....and KNEW it would be around a long time