Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:48 PM
chryslerguy

Smile #802 Philco radio for 1948 Chrysler...

Hi Group: I have a #802 Philco AM radio from a 1948 Chrysler that is missing the 4-pin vibrator. Would like to install an original mechanical unit, rather than a modern solid-state (foolish, some would say.....). To help locate the correct unit, I have the following questions; hopefully some "groupies" have experience with vintage car radios:

1) Are vibrators ground-sensitive? (Chryslers of this period were positive ground, and 6-volt).

2) Are all all 6-volt vibrators created equal in terms of applicability?

3) I have access to an Oak V-6648 vibrator. The tube-chart on the radio case says the original vibrator was an "83-0026." Anyone have an interchange manual that could verify substitution?

Thanks for any assistance! Bill.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
AK Member

I've got several of those Philco 802's and an 801 which only had one audio output tube, my 1948 Dodge has the Motorola radio model CR-8. The vibrators used in these sets were not polarity sensitive. If you are replacing the vibrator make sure to replace the buffer capacitor also, it's rated at 1600 volts and the capacitance is critical. I think nearly all 4 pin 6 volt vibrators are interchangeable, but I could be wrong. Other than the vibrator power supply these radios are serviced just like any other tube set and have many of the same considerations such as replacing capacitors and filters. They are nice performing sets but tend to run down the battery pretty fast if the motor's not running. I'm in agreement with using an original vibrator, I just love to hear it fire up when I push the power button.