Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by grimer; 05-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
The one from 1986 with the orange toothed capstan belt, right?

I used to have one, the loading motor had a plastic thingy which coupled the motor shaft to a longer shaft with a brass worm gear on it, the plastic thingy cracked in half, i managed to glue it back together only to find that the whole loading mechanism was jammed, i finally had to junk the VCR.
That's a different chassis. It's part of the G-chassis family, and it's the one Andy don't like (G-Chassis but with nylon teeth belt instead). It's available from 1987 to 1994. It's mostly found in Panasonic AG models, like AG-1820, AG-1830, etc. The nylon teeth belt runs even slower than the already slow rubber belt. Andy probably would go paranoid if he sees this chassis coming in for repairs. I have a Canon VR-HF800 with this chassis.

I picked the Panasonic AG-2100 that will last forever because it's a 2-head mono, linear power supply (heavy transformer), made in 1984, commercial-duty construction, Panasonic was rated #1 in reliability, no record function, no tuner, and no clock display on front. A VCR without clock display, tuner, and record mode last even longer as it takes less wear from the power supply and fewer circuit boards needed to run. VCP lasts longer than VCR, depending on the design.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
The funny thing about those 80's Golstar VCRs is that their mechanisms were almost identical in design to Panasonic's. A lot of parts were different, but the basic design was clearly based on Panasonic's. Of course, there was no comparison between the two in terms of quality. A few parts like the main cam gear were exactly the same. I wonder is Goldstar bought the design off Panasonic, or just copied it?
Goldstar copied this chassis from Panasonic AG-1800 and AG-1810. Extremely identical with exact same belt sizes. The PV models that you regularly serviced before used larger belts and were not truly identical, although they were similar.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:58 AM
slave to 3 equines

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
That's a different chassis. It's part of the G-chassis family, and it's the one Andy don't like (G-Chassis but with nylon teeth belt instead). It's available from 1987 to 1994.
Mine had "Jan-86" dates on the motors.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

VCRs and Betamaxes of bygone years

I got 4 RCA VBT-200s from 1977-78 and my VBT-200 from 10/23/77 works just like it did 30 years ago when I was trying to copy a Macrovision-coded tape for a friend of mine and I had failed to get good playback on the newer VCRs, but the copy had good playback on the VBT-200 as well as my 1982 Panasonic Omni-Vision. I also got a few 1984-86 Sony Betamaxes that play pretty good with my large 1500+ collection of Beta tapes which date from the original 1975-76 K-60s, yes, w/1970's TV shows with the original 1970's commercials on them to the latest 1990's L-750s. I also got these 1970's Betamaxes-
4 Sony SL-7200s-1 is new in the original box!
4 Sony SL-8200s-1 is new in the original box!
4 RARE Sony BII-Only SL-8600s-1 is new in the original box!
1 1977 Zenith Betamaz-like the SL-8200
1 other 1970's Betamax
My parents still have their original 1988 RCA VHS VCR they got as a Christmas present in 1988-just the remote is long gone though. It didn't really have the best picture for recording in EP/SLP speed, but it was a pretty good machine. It's at my grandmother's in Kirkland Lake now.
I also have, yes, both an NES and a Super Nintendo and LOVE the Mario Bros. games and Tetris:-)
Also, I am looking for any 1970's, 1980's and 1990's Beta and VHS tapes that have old commercials on them too that people may also want to get rid of for my trading and collecting hobby too-please and thanks.
Those new VCRs as everyone just about says here sure don't last and don't compare to the older VCRs at all.
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

One of the things I always look for at the flea market are boxes of old home-recorded video tapes. The oldest I have are some beta from around 82 that I bought along with a Sears top-loader. (that still works quite well) A bunch of 80s stuff I'd like to find on tape.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

The well known and SLOW G-chassis! I've got 2 Magnavox VCRs with that chassis, and what's odd in these is the video head drum, where the motor is INSIDE the drum with a brass sleeve full of oil instead of ball bearings, think fluid dynamic bearing from a newer hard drive.

I've also got an AKAI that I've never even seen anywhere, it looks like it has it's own chassis design too.

Got 3 Panasonic PV-1545's from 1984, one has a bad power supply, other has a really dim level meter and the third works pretty well but the power supply is showing signs of going bad...

A Panasonic PV-1730 where I already had to pull apart and reoil the brass sleeve in the video head drum, and works fine but is pretty beat up and shows signs of needing new heads soon.

Also got some nice 1990's Sonys, but looking for that direct drive Hi-Fi stereo one mentioned earlier in this thread.

Finally, got a professional Panasonic deck with a modular chassis that only records in SP speed with a nice direct drive mechanism.

Oh, I got a couple portable units kicking around too!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

My old Panasonic AG-1830 video faded into oblivion because of the electrolytic capacitors in the video module among others I am sure, I gave up on it (I have a brand-new upper drum in the package, thinking it would last forever when I ordered that from Panasonic about $90 at the time...) , I have a Mitsubishi HS-430U I keep going because it will play my few years accumulation of old linear stereo tapes I recorded on a Panasonic PV-1780 I think it was, one generation before Hi-Fi audio and MTS Stereo, when simulcast stereo was popular on cable and with TV and FM stations. Had JVC HR-S5800 and HR-S6700 VCRs in the system for a while but they can get unreliable from little use. Then I bought a Mitsubishi HS-U770 which the mechanism plastic FL guides cracked and failed, and I had to put in a whole new updated mechanism, so it still works, that's one still in operation today. I picked up a JVC HR-S5900U for less than $100 that is so simple mechanically is has little to fail and makes a very nice pic. Cheap but effective. Works every time. I have lots of S-VHS tapes I've recorded off of C-band satellite and OTA since '89 when I bought the AG-1830. Have about 75 Beta tapes but I have no Beta machine to play them on any more. I repaired VCRs for a living, most all brands in and out of warranty for almost 25 years.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

VCR collector...

No AK members know what I do, but I am more of a VCR collector than a TV collector. I have more than 50 VCRs. Some are part units. Most are Hi-FI, high-end units. I have so many things to say about VCRs, but no one is interested in VCRs anymore. I hate keeping everything to myself. Need help, ask me, and I may know the answer.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog1983 View Post
I've also got an AKAI that I've never even seen anywhere, it looks like it has it's own chassis design too.
Akai made their own VCRs up until 1989.
Audiokarma
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I seem to remember a couple of Akai branded VCRs from early-mid 80s that were rebadged JVCs, the JVC HR-7650 was one, don't remember the model #s of the Akai versions. We (employer at the time) were warranty service for Akai in those days. I worked on my share of those 7300-7350 Akai two piece portable beasts that were definitely unique to Akai.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM
slave to 3 equines

I have an Akai HIFI stereo VCR, model VS-606 EO, it works at the beginning of the tape but as the supply reel gets smaller the VCR transport seems to be labouring and often goes into emergency stop routine. is this a simple fix?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
I have an Akai HIFI stereo VCR, model VS-606 EO, it works at the beginning of the tape but as the supply reel gets smaller the VCR transport seems to be labouring and often goes into emergency stop routine. is this a simple fix?
If it's the mechanism I am thinking of it has a rubber idler between the reels that drives the TU reel which is probably slipping as the TU reel fills up with tape it senses that and shuts down.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

waltchan, I also collect VCRs for some reason, and mainly the higher end Hi-Fi stuff just like you! I focus on the 1980's Hi-Fi VCRs, but do also have some 1990s ones.

There is 3 I would like to fix but don't know exactly whats wrong with them...

1. Hitachi made RCA with Hi-Fi but only 2 heads, has the brush type motor that drives the capstan and reels. It seems to be really confused, sometimes the buttons don't work at all and sometimes they are all mixed up i.e. you push play and it goes into rewind. I remember when I could get it to play it would have color interference on the screen that got worse and worse as it warmed up, and also the front clock display goes out at that point too, I believe its the power supply, but I don't know where to find another.

2. Akai that looks more like a tape deck, the loading motor doesn't respond to any commands however the motor is good.

3. NEC made Yamaha that I think needs new caps in the power supply or new power supply itself. When cold, interference patterns all over the screen, noisy Hi-Fi and only one channel works, after its warmed up it works fine!

I got some others like a JVC made Teac that keeps losing its right channel output, I need to learn how to fix these annoying electrical problems, I am good with the mechanics of VCRs...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog1983 View Post

There is 3 I would like to fix but don't know exactly whats wrong with them...

1. Hitachi made RCA with Hi-Fi but only 2 heads, has the brush type motor that drives the capstan and reels. It seems to be really confused, sometimes the buttons don't work at all and sometimes they are all mixed up i.e. you push play and it goes into rewind. I remember when I could get it to play it would have color interference on the screen that got worse and worse as it warmed up, and also the front clock display goes out at that point too, I believe its the power supply, but I don't know where to find another....
Probably filter caps failed in DC-DC converter circuit on display board causing interference and clock failing some had discrete parts in that circuit later models had a DC-DC converter module. Also as I recall some the Tape End and/or Take Up sensor phototransistor could fail and cause oddball operation like going into Rewind when you press Play etc.
Quote:
2. Akai that looks more like a tape deck, the loading motor doesn't respond to any commands however the motor is good....
Some old ones had a sensor incandescent bulb that when failed nothing functions. Several variations of old Akai so not sure.

Quote:
3. NEC made Yamaha that I think needs new caps in the power supply or new power supply itself. When cold, interference patterns all over the screen, noisy Hi-Fi and only one channel works, after its warmed up it works fine!...
Electrolytic capacitors in PS, tuner circuit, video circuit etc... fun! You need a good ESR meter to check caps with because replacing them all would be quite a chore.
Audiokarma