Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Making some progress on day one:

Cleaned the chassis with some electrical contact cleaner the boards look better, but still need to go in with a Qtip..

Fine tuning gears.. Not sure if that green plastic brook.. It sorta flops around with fine tuning, though it does turn the gears, but not sure if its turning the inside parts...

Old 04-10-2015, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

The two 'fingers' that slide inside the tuner are broke off and gone.
Maybe somebody with a stash of old tuners could come up with a good slider assembly to donate. (It comes with the gears attached.)

Last edited by old_coot88; 04-10-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

If anyone has an extra slider assy I would be interested..

Here's more progress:

Betron is liking this pic tube even more so, only at 5volts
Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ive got a bunch of these. If this is what you need I'll mail you one, but i'm not sure what part broken on yours, do these look the same?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those outside the box does, but I don't know what it looks like on the inside.. I suppose I could crack open the tuner and see... They mentioned something about fingers that slide inside the tuner...
Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just looked and I see the hole where the gear goes in, but nothing behind it.. There is a metal piece thats sorta coiled a little around the shaft, one end going into the tuner and looks to have two other feet that aren't going anywhere, maybe that is suppose to force the gears to make contact?
Old 04-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Motorola Minion

Is that a Standard-Kollsman tuner?

If you need the FT gear, it is not too hard to find. The fingers OldCoot refers to are on either side on the gear slider assembly, just out from the tuner shaft and click into slots in the tuner sheetmetal.

Standards usually had a 6HB7 tube and were used in GE and Mags, not known for good fringe reception IMAO.

Oak tuners were used in Motorola and some others, also not real good in comparison to Zenith and RCA
Old 04-11-2015, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking at reference photos from my previous GE roundie restore, it looks to have the same thing pretty much

I'm looking at the springy thing with feet that's around the shaft, looks like it's suppose to apply some tension on that plastic gear assy.. Looks like it could have been knocked out of place during shipping, especially seeing the condition of the cabinet.. I'll look more into it Monday when I have more time to look into it
Old 04-13-2015, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

I took out the whole clunker and removed the gear assy, I ended up breaking one the of the teeth, the little gears that are attached on each side and goes through and turns the mechanism is very wobbly, So I think there were issues already with it.. I'm going to need a spare from you.. I'll take a few if you don't mind parting with a few..

I put the clunker back in and powered the chassis up again, and still working fine and still can hear audio coming in from a channel.. First time removing one of these clunkers..

Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

pm sent
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2015, 10:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Paul..

Finally got the cabinet in the house, hooked up pic tube and HV, and was greeted with a pic.. Black bar at the bottom convergence is way off it looks like.. Haven't checked any of the tubes yet.. But I'm getting good results so far..

Old 04-14-2015, 12:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I left it running for a while, and the original flyback in it started to smoke.. Screen went dead.. I left the room and started to smell a burning smell... These things smell like burning firewood with an odd stench, I thought the house was on fire..

Waited a while and powered back up, and probed the HV and it goes up to 5000kv before falling.. I removed the HV cover and poked around, there's wax drippings and I felt around the donut and felt a bump on the bottom of it.. I heard Shango on Youtube, chisrtv i think on here, is able to fix these, if so, let me know how much you want and I'll mail it to you... I've also got three Thordason flys for CTC15 which I assume will work in this unit.. Still rather have the original repaired if it's repairable..

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-14-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:20 AM
M is for Memory

Never leave the room with a set on. You want to be able to jump at the power switch if things go noticeably wrong.

I hope you did not kill the fly.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-14-2015, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was probably cooking for a good minute before I realized.. There's no obvious marks on the Donut other than the bump on the bottom which was probably there before... Perhaps maybe it took out a tube instead? Tested the 6BK4C 6BK4B in the HV section and fails grid emissions and the 3CU3 is weak... Does anyone know how to get a hold of shango066 from Youtube?

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-14-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just looked at my NOS Thordason Flybacks which are FLY-277.. They call for Magnavox Part numbers 361046-1 and 906152-501.. The Sams photofact lists the Magnavox part #361084-1(B) which calls for Thordason FLY-305 which I don't have.. So unless I either #1 have someone fix this one, or #2 find a Thordason FLY-305 I guess the project would end right now... I called Moyers and they are looking in their warehouses...