Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 AM
No time for this hobby

I have a top of the line Zenith Stereo VCR from the early to mid 80's. My wife bought it for me new when we were dating for over $500. I used it every day until about 1995 because of the stereo option and I still use it quite often. Here are the problems I've had with the machine and the maintenance and repairs I've done:

I spose I should clean it some day. This thing is better than a Timex. Probably keep it until I die, I use it now for my older sets. I will follow up with a model number tommorrow.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs5061 View Post
I have a top of the line Zenith Stereo VCR from the early to mid 80's..
A post-Beta Mid-'80s Zenith VHS? Probably one of the JVC-made machines. JVC originally manufactured Zenith VHS VCRs, until Goldstar bought out Zenith.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
No time for this hobby

Its a Zenith HI-FI HQ Model VR2225. Heavy too! It's made in Japan but still has the Glenview IL. address. Most likely JVC.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in, I still have many vcr's, including one I bought a few months ago that is more of a prosumer machine to play tapes that have tracking issues.

I'm just an analog girl living in a digital world
Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Mark

Welcome to VK stacyellenk! If you say you're an analog girl, then you found the right website
What other analog goodies do you have? Any old tube tv's?
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Welcome to VK stacyellenk! If you say you're an analog girl, then you found the right website
What other analog goodies do you have? Any old tube tv's?
Nope, just my Sony Wega that I still have from the pre-flat screen/HD era that I bought in 2002 I do also however have a Beta machine that I bought on Craigslist a few years ago and had restored so that I can access some of those tapes that I have as well.

VHS is my analog passion for video, but other than that it's all about music for me - i actually make my way over here from Audiokarma, where thanks to the help over there I'm now the owner of a 70's analog stereo setup.

I have hundreds and hundreds - and hundreds - of videotapes, so I've made sure that I have enough vcr's to support them. And thankfully I am in L.A. so there is a VCR repair shop down the road from where i live.

I appreciate computers and the technology, and being able to carry around video and music on my ipod etc. but I will never give up my analog media.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I use VHS HiFi for audio...

My main audio machine is a Mitsubishi built Eletrohome model......sounds fantastic !!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 AM
AKA Hotrod at ARF

I still use a VCR but I don't watch too many movies. I don't like the DVD format at all. In fact, I am still PO about the whole digital TV transition and plan on picking up some more VCRs and a couple of agile modulators because I am going to stay analog.
Rod
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Avionics Technician

Yep - just last night the wife and I were watching a DVD player I purchased brand new about a year ago, and cleaned the lens about a month ago. Started hanging up, stuttering and broke into that wonderful digital checkerboard pattern. Looked at the wife and said, "That's why I went back to VCR's".

Hi-Fi VCR's come in handy for recording long periods of time off the radio, like if you play in bands and need tons of songs to learn and add to your song list.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Analogue is Awesome

VCRs are the way to go my friend
Audiokarma
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Scanning The Skies

I, personally, do not trust those DVD recorder things as far as I could throw one! I own a DVD recorder as does a friend of mine but hardly use it. I always use my machines (Panasonic) to record from digital satellite and a separate FREEVIEW digital terrestrial box.

The main advantage of a VCR over a DVD recorder is, when a DVD recorder comes across a bad disc....it just gives up therefore losing the programme you want to record. A VCR does not give a hoot about a bad bit of tape and just carries on regardless.

I have a stockpile of machines (about 22 last count) and even though we will be the last area to switch to digital full-time here in the UK, September 2012, I will continue to use VHS as long as I can.

Last edited by soundman2; 09-11-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman2 View Post
The main advantage of a VCR over a DVD recorder is, when a DVD recorder comes across a bad disc....it just gives up therefore losing the programme you want to record. A VCR does not give a hoot about a bad bit of tape and just carries on regardless.
That is so true. I've had a particular machine, a Funai-built DVD recorder, throw its hands up in the air (by way of an error message on the screen) after 10 seconds of recording a disc it didn't like--in this case, some Memorex DVD-Rs... though it certainly loved the Verbatims I regularly use. OTOH, that recorder has clocked at least a thousand hours of recording since it is used for tape transfer of old education videos for the department I work for, so they can abuse the discs instead of the tapes that are approaching 25 years of age.

The 1999 Sony SLV-M11HF I use for the transfers is a dream to use for this task because of the insanely fast wind/rewind and its picture quality. The 2000 Panasonic NV-SJ200 is also used for the few mono PAL tapes in the collection.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:50 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have an 8-year-old Panasonic Omnivision VCR that still works every bit as well as the day I bought it. Also have VHS videos I recorded from TV (old TV series and movies from the '50s through the '80s, plus a few professionally-recorded movies and travelogues) that still play well today, most of them (except the professionally-recorded ones) now at or approaching 25 years old. I do not own a DVD recorder, although I do have a Memorex DVD player I bought some 2.5 years ago that still works very well (despite a warning I read on one of the TV repair websites that recent-vintage Memorex DVDs have a capacitor that will swell and split open within nine months of initial purchase; the one in mine hasn't yet, knock on wood ).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 AM
Scanning The Skies

It's good to see others have the same mind-set when it comes to VHS. Surprising enough the vast bulk of my VCR's have come from the local dump or "tip" as we call them in the UK. Many people are now buying those PVR machines with HDD units in them and that includes SKY Plus satellite units as folks just throw their VHS machines.

Another thing I love about VHS is that you don't have to tell the machine how many hours recording you want on a disc as there are only 2 speeds SP/LP (or on Panasonic VHS machines EP) never used it myself but I understand that it slows the tape to a THIRD of normal speed enabling 9 hours recording on an E-180 cassette. No finalising needed either.

Some people I know have actually laughed at me for still having VHS in use, but I like to see it this way. All those with the fancy DVD recorders will probably cry their eyes out when the laser dies and all they can do is throw it away.

Whereas my VHS recorders will still be running like a dream.

By the way, has anyone noticed the rising prices of blank VHS tapes - a conspiracy I think!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

VHS Camcorders

Does anyone here still uses a VHS camcorder to record home movies (either full size or compact)?

Last edited by site123a; 09-19-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Audiokarma