Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Nice decks!! Nice youtube video!!

At one time, I had a VTR/VCR that was a transition between R-R and cassette machines. As I recall it was a National. The tape was contained in a small cassette with only ONE reel inside... when it was loaded the machine would thread itself around the heads and to take up reel (5"?)contained under the top cover of the deck. It was color. Do any of yours load that way?

jr

I found a picture of it, Lab guy has everything!

http://www.labguysworld.com/Panasonic_NV-5110.htm

It was more fun to watch the thing thread itself than the ONE cassette that I had.
Ahh those National/Panasonic cartridge machines. I personally don't have any of those decks but I do have some cassettes for this machine, there was one National NV-5120A VCR on Ebay here in Australia last year but I unfortunately missed the auction. Anyhow I've learned from someone that because these cassettes are EIAJ format just like a standard EIAJ open reels, you can take the reels out and play them on a colour EIAJ standard reel-reel VTR. Very interesting format indeed too. I would love to one day own an operational National cartridge machine like this.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video View Post
Were those intended for home use???

Quote:
No, I don't think that they were intended for home use, although some may have ended up in homes.
Here ya go.. AMPEX at Home!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ampexvtr-1.jpg (92.3 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg ampexvtr-2.jpg (94.9 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 10-10-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm looking for Ampico-kid's VCR. I used to record cartoons on it when I was 5!
I found a Panasonic PV-1100 on the curb a couple weeks ago. After meticulous cleaning, it seems to work pretty well without any rubber part replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panasonic PV-1100 1.jpg (54.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Panasonic PV-1100 4.jpg (101.2 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-11-2009, 01:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Here ya go.. AMPEX at Home!
Wow, that Ampex is cool. I tried to find more info on it but could not. Wonder how many they made?
Old 10-11-2009, 01:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
Here are some of my old video recorders I've collected over the past 7 years:

Philips N1512 VCR SP 1976
Philips N1700 VCR LP 1978
Grundig SVR-4004 1979
VCR tapes 1970s
Sony CV-2100CE 1967
National NV-3020E VTR 1973/74 (recently gave it back to the former owner as I now have a Sony AV-3620CE VTR to transfer reel-reel videos)
Excellent collection!
Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Two fun reel-to-reel monochrome oldies:

1972 Sony AV3400, 1/2" tape, 5" reels... picture1
1966 Ampex VR660, 2" tape 12.5" reels... picture2

jr
My compliments on the VR660, a rare one. Is yours in working condition?

David
Old 11-16-2009, 03:01 AM
TeeVee collector

I have a Philips N1500, said to be the worlds first home VCR as we know them today; it could be connected to any TV, it was easy to operate and it had a recording timer. It's driven by two brushless AC motors - the same type as used in record players. On each of the drive shafts there is a metal disc with a coil which is used to slow it down to the right speed. This is the same kind of electromagnetic brake system used on some trucks and other heavy vehicles. My N1500 is only partially working, missing the wire from the threading system and only displaying an unsharp B&W picture. I also have a N1502 in great condition and i also had a completely worn out N1700 which i gave away to another collector.

Then there's the VR2020; The Video Compact Cassette, also known as Video 2000. This was supposed to compete with Beta and VHS, but had some technical difficulties in its early days. The players still looks futuristic: LED-displays, a lot of buttons, brushed aluminium, brushless (and virtually noiseless) direct drive DC motors etc. By the time they got things sorted out, it was too late, and the format quickly died out. V2000 never got official stereo specs, and as far as i know were never made in NTSC version. I am not too impressed with the picture quality, but the system had other advantages. For instance, up to 16 hours recording time in SLP-mode, noise free still and picture search and incredibly well-built machines. Unusual to the format is the tapes that can be turned over and used on both sides. The cassette looks like a over sized audio cassette, and despite the "Video Compact Cassette"-name, these cassettes were a little bit bigger than VHS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3588.jpg (112.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3225.jpg (104.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Bad Smelling Toad

Quote:
I remember reading once that Hugh Hefner had a 2" Tape, quad head color Ampex at his home,...
I may be way off base on this but I think he had one in his b727 (or was it a dc-9 he had?) too.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Bad Smelling Toad

I remember seeing some Ampex model offered in some 60's radioshack catalog.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Going back to an earlier post regarding the Ampex 660 2" VTR, these machines were not entended for home use. I ran several Ampex 660B 2" VTRs back in 1969 when I was in college. We used them in our broadcast center at college. They were intended for ETV use and for closed circuit television. Even though they produced an excellent B&W picture, they did not meet broadcast quality standards for broadcast OTA use.
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

G'day all. On this page http://1970scountdown.atspace.com/vintagevideo.html of my site http://1970scountdown.atspace.com/ is pretty much all of my vintage video gear I've had over the past 8 years of collecting.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM
AK Member

vintage VCRs.. so many.

heres a few that i have that ive gotten around to photographing.

in fact, it would probably be better to just look at the flickr set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2225077...7606472117657/
Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Very cool, toledogeek! You actually have tapes for your Great Time Machine, I see.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Very cool, toledogeek! You actually have tapes for your Great Time Machine, I see.
i do, nothing too interesting im afraid, most of a jfk documentary, and half of gone with the wind, and the rest are blank.

while not "rotating heads" i finally got one of my 2 BNIB magnavox VH-8005 working. word to anyone attempting to restore one, do not assume it can be fixed by adjusting pots/recapping. the two moving mirrors get frozen in place by age and mis-aligned by transport. so if anyone has one of these out there, half-working, and it tracks loudly, this is likely your issue. its not in the service manual, or sams. unfortunately, i ruined one player before realizing this.

performance is, well, as advertised. it works ok on modern, defect free CAV discs, adequately on CLV, and poorly on anything USA discovision. which from what ive read, is all i can really expect out of this machine.

the way that these machines were made, i expect many more problems. my working one has a build date of september 1982, one of the last made, but has modules from as early as february 1979. the other machine, from 1981, is similar. this hodgepodge of modules from different factories and times, and the plug-in-module nature of the machine, makes it destined for unreliability.

pics to come soon, keep watching the flickr. this was an over 1-year on again-off again project. but quite the learning experience, i know more about laserdisc now then i'd ever thought i'd know.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

That is also interesting news about the Magnavision players, and thank you for the repair tips. I have a VH8000 in its original box, and I would like to get it working some day. (I don't remember what it did when I tried it after I bought it a few years ago, I'm not sure if it even started spinning the disc.)

I worked for a store in Illinois when the players and discs were first introduced there in October 1980, right about the time the news of all the problems was spreading. Our Magnavox distributor gave us the full original Discovision catalog of 200+ movies, but when we went to place an order, the actual list available was about 25 titles, and a couple of weeks later it was about 11, I think. This was all still before any Extended Play (CLV) discs were manufactured, other than the original three titles that were already long gone by then.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma