Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Analogue is Awesome

It makes me really sad when I see stuff from the 80s that is messed up!!!

The first ANALOGUE release of the terminator on VHS (Both Cinema 84 and HBO Video releases) use the PAL master and not the NTSC master! (You know what that means (Too fast ))

THE ANALOG AUDIO ON THE TERMINATOR IS AMAZINGLY GOOD but I dont like its not right speed...... I have had this tape 2 times and got rid of it both times.....

The 1991 release IS THE RIGHT SPEED but that IS NOT ANALOG and looks like crap!!

Im thankful to have this movie recorded off analog cable in the 80s.... ITS GEORGEOUS.. The audio isnt as good as the first official VHS tape but its the RIGHT SPEED....

Is there any type of machine you can use that you can play this PAL version tape in and it will OFFSET the recording so it will be right?? (In other words you will copy the cinema 84 tape TO ANOTHER VHS tape and it will be in NTSC speed (The right speed)) Only problem is the audio may drop somewhat......

Ah well.......... Just putting this out there in case someone knows..... (The NTSC videodisc of THE TERMINATOR is correct I believe)
Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

What do you mean by speed.Tape speed SP LP EP.

Some of the later produced VHS tapes are recorded on LP and I found some even recorded on SLP/EP.

The linear audio on VHS on some machines sucked unless its recorded in HiFi.The EP tapes recorded on the linear tracks sound like AM radio or a kids rim drive reel recorder with the Wow and Flutter..

The Panasonic AG-W1 VHS World Wide Hi-Fi VHS VCR Recorder or similar would copy the Pal to NTSC if the tape does not Macro encoded on it.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Stuck in the past!

I have two different releases of this but I'd have to get them out to see which ones they are. I was pleased with both actually. Beats watching the dvd even tho the last dvd I had actually preserved the mono one channel audio out the center channel speaker.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not VHS, but the very first DVD of the film has the original film audio in proper 1.0 Mono anchored in the center channel. It's the DVD from Image Entertainment in the old style cardboard "snapper" case. Subsequent DVD/Blu-ray editions either have incorrect split-mono stereo or really incorrect 5.1 audio with fake surround effects/replaced sound effects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71QQRZPATYL.jpg (39.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Yes well by the time DVDs came out I would expect the proper NTSC master is on an NTSC disc!!

The first 1984 terminator release IS GEORGEOUS AUDIO but they used the PAL master for some reason which in my opinion is no good!! (I dont wanna hear/see it @ the wrong speed) .... (Must have been a mistake,I dont know why they would do that intentally)
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Does anyone know if they make a PROFESSIONAL VCR that you can alter the speed + or - a little bit and make a copy so the vid/audio will be @ the right speed? (Either that or OPEN a reg vcr and adjust SP MODE speed down a little)

I think they did this cause the movie was put on a 105 Min tape and the movie is 108 Mins..... I just ordered the VERY FIRST release (Brown Guard) and I am hopefull that one will be correct..... But if it isnt,I would love copying the tape @ A SLOWER SPEED to make it right on the copy........ (With as little level drop as possible)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM
M is for Memory

Even if a machine with such ability/defect were to exist you can't slow video tape speed down much(read that as 'a humanly perceivable amount') or color sync will be lost, followed by H and V sync*...Ever watch a selectavision player where the turntable belt was going bad and the screen was monochrome with the screen divided into 3 vert stripes, one tinted red, one green and the other blue (and no other semblence of color)?...I have, and that is what happens when you try to slow down analog play back speed even a tiny amount. Sync pulse timing depends on tape/disc speed being exact, bleep with it and things stop working fast.

*This assumes a CRT TV, if you are using a flat panel set there will be more rapid and complete loss of picture as the digital signal processors are even more finicky about getting correct sync.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Is the audio pitch too high or too low?

It was (is) common to play 24fps film at 25fps for PAL broadcast/recording. The 4% higher pitch is noticeable, especially if you have heard the correct version.

It is hard for me to believe that any copies would have been issued with the 24 fps speeded up to 25 fps for PAL and then that master upped to 30 fps to "convert" to NTSC, which is what you seem to be claiming. The pitch would be very high.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Yup its slightly too fast.. (Pitch higher than it should be as the speed is off)

That makes sense I guess Electronic M......... Seems kinda sad

Last edited by Dude111; 06-19-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:14 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yup its slightly too fast.. (Pitch higher than it should be as the speed is off)
(
In this case, I sure would like to know what the video conversion from the PAL master to NTSC looks like. Normally NTSC uses 3:2 pulldown to convert 24 frames to 60 fields, and while this produces judder, the motion irregularities due to 50 field to 60 field conversion usually are worse.
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Well to be honest the video looks excellent on the official tape.... Would be nice to be able to manipulate it and make it slower on the copy and not affect the video......