Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-5 on e-Bay

Looks like a nicely restorable RCA CTC-5 upright console.
e-Bay item# 2153056631
Old 01-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Banned

Steve,

I'd jump on that if only I could (old white men can't jump). Nice looking set!

Rob
Old 01-06-2003, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Rob,
I don't jump very high either any more. That CTC-5 is the "Wescott" super series. Fairly compact for a 1956 color set. And the seller has an additional chassis and pix. tube to boot. Someone near Joisey should grab it.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:56 AM
wvsaz

WOW!! It went for US $1,145.00 !!
I wonder what that black stuff is at the bottom of the CRT?
Old 01-13-2003, 02:34 AM
Banned

wv,

Wow is right!

That black is room dust which gets attracted to the CRT faceplate due to the electrostatic chatge in its vicinity. 25,000 volts! My CTC-5 had done exactly the same thing, I guess there is airflow in that region, perhaps from the adjustment door. Here is the CTC-5 I had before Tim got it and cleaned it. The other set that does this badly are the 16" metal shell RCA B&W consoles

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2003, 09:34 AM
wvsaz

Rob,

I used to have a 17" RCA b&w console (KCS-47 chassis) with a rectangular metal cone tube. The areas between the safety glass & cabinet, safety glass & mask, & mask & tube were all sealed tight by rubber gasket material. The stuff tended to disintegrate if you took it apart. I wonder if these metal tube color sets had a similar arrangement that was not replaced after a tube change?
Old 01-13-2003, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Big bucks

Hi Rob,
You and I discussed a couple of months ago about the steady rise of prices for these early color sets. That two edged sword. We can now command more for the sets if we sell them. But, it is becoming increase-
ingly more expensive to collect them. By the time you add in shipping and then the costs of parts ect. to complete the restoration, it will become very difficult to stay in the hobby for the average collector. I'm not sure what the answer is. I guess what ever the market will bear will be the rule.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

wv,

Yes, kcs-47 is the chassis of the sets I was thinking of. I have two of 'em, but they have 16" round metal crts. Both were really filthy behind the window. In these sets there was a plastic molded insulating frame that the crt set into which from the front was the mask you see behind the glass when looking at the set. I cannot recall the details of any rubber gasket in there.

I haven't pulled the metal CRT out of a color set yet, so I haven't seen how they did this, although I eventually will be as I have to exchange the CRT in my CTC-4 as part of the restoration.

Rob
Old 01-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Banned

Re: Big bucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve D.
Hi Rob,
You and I discussed a couple of months ago about the steady rise of prices for these early color sets. That two edged sword. We can now command more for the sets if we sell them. But, it is becoming increase-
ingly more expensive to collect them. By the time you add in shipping and then the costs of parts ect. to complete the restoration, it will become very difficult to stay in the hobby for the average collector. I'm not sure what the answer is. I guess what ever the market will bear will be the rule.
SteveD,

The auction price of this CTC-5 is already way more, even before shipping than I can presently afford to pay for such additions to my collection. I guess the answer to your question about what to do is to go out and buy as many of these as you figure you will ever need...now (as in this year)!

Rob
Old 01-13-2003, 03:07 PM
wvsaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
wv,

Yes, kcs-47 is the chassis of the sets I was thinking of. I have two of 'em, but they have 16" round metal crts. Both were really filthy behind the window. In these sets there was a plastic molded insulating frame that the crt set into which from the front was the mask you see behind the glass when looking at the set. I cannot recall the details of any rubber gasket in there.

I haven't pulled the metal CRT out of a color set yet, so I haven't seen how they did this, although I eventually will be as I have to exchange the CRT in my CTC-4 as part of the restoration.

Rob
Rob,

That insulating frame when viewed from the back had a wide gap between its outer lip and the tube's metal cone (mine used a 17GP4). When the sets were made, RCA stuffed a thick piece of light colored foam rubber into that gap. By the time the CRT needed replacement the foam rubber was often dried out and rotted. The frame and safety glass were bigger than the front opening in the cabinet, so in the hidden portions they applied a thin black adhesive rubber strip to seal the air spaces. That stuff turned into a black gooey mess with time. AS built, I don't think the glass surfaces ever got dirty until the integrity of the seals was destroyed.

Btw, that KCS47 chassis is one of the best I've ever seen, performance-wise. It had a full 4 Mhz video IF bandwidth, and full DC restoration. Beautiful, razor sharp picture. Are yours working?
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Banned

RCA kcs-47

wv,

I have one on display which I watched a bit but it needs recapping badly. The other is unknown, haven't tried it. I also have a spare original unrestored chassis I pulled from a console as well as the metal crt in unknown operating condition.

Rob