Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

One other thing,

I seem to be having trouble telling which way is up with these pictures. They show up normally on my phone, sideways when copied to my desktop, but then when I flip them so they show up the right way the Internet shows them sideways again!

How are you guys seeing the pictures?
Old 01-13-2016, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

They show up correct to me. I've noticed this problem when using Photobucket sometimes. I can rotate it 20 times and it will still be wrong on my screen.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
It's not a developmental tube, since it has that orange dag in it that makes it a 21AXP22A same as the CTC-5's had. If it is a date code, 9th week of 1963 means the set was run for a good long time. Couldn't have been run for long after it was put in though, since it tests like new.

I have seen one other example of a code like this on a 21AXP22. It could be a replacement part number that RCA Service Company used.

Another thought is that it may be a RCA Industrial Tube Division code for 21AXP22 type tubes. Back in the day, IIRC RCA had an industrial division that did contract work for the government, military, and industry. RCA even had a computer division. I am sure you have seen RCA vacuum tubes, that were labeled with a number different from the same tube in the consumer division. Often those tubes had a different type of base and an alternate tube number. Perhaps RCA Service Company got 21AXP22 tubes out of the parts warehouse for the industrial division after they were no longer available from the consumer products division parts warehouse. They probably used a different code number in the industrial division so that they could charge big dollars to the government for replacement parts. Sort of like the $1000 toilet seat and the $500 screwdriver, making claim that it was a special "industrial Grade" tube so it cost more.

Maybe it is better than a consumer grade tube. It tests like New, so maybe it was a better quality than the regular consumer division tube.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 01-15-2016, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps a RCA factory second sold for use in a 21 inch test jig?

jr
Old 01-16-2016, 06:13 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

No idea Bob, I guess anything is possible and i wouldn't put it past Sarnoff's RCA to bilk the government by passing off consumer grade stuff as MILSPEC- he wouldn't be the first, and definitely isn't the last.

Maybe there will be more identifying marks on the bell once I get it removed for cleaning, like a different label pasted on or something.