Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sometimes in the service menu there is a setting for screen type. I recently fixed a samsung 42" plasma, and they sent me the 50" mainboard instead. It worked, but the screen was off the right edge. When I went into the service menu, I was able to select a 42" screen and that fixed my problem.

Strange though, since nothing had been changed on yours, and both boards are out of the same size TV.

Are you sure the picture is shifted, and you don't just have a dead stripe or two on the right side? I mean, if you load a test pattern, what's it look like? Maybe snap a pic if you can.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
Sometimes in the service menu there is a setting for screen type. I recently fixed a samsung 42" plasma, and they sent me the 50" mainboard instead. It worked, but the screen was off the right edge. When I went into the service menu, I was able to select a 42" screen and that fixed my problem.

Strange though, since nothing had been changed on yours, and both boards are out of the same size TV.

Are you sure the picture is shifted, and you don't just have a dead stripe or two on the right side? I mean, if you load a test pattern, what's it look like? Maybe snap a pic if you can.
It's definitely shifted off to the left by 5", but I can still see the whole screen is being ignited evenly when there's no signal. And to confirm; both sets are the same size & model number. The other one had a no-start fault, and this one had a shut off after a minute issue (solved by the first board swap). I sort of remember seeing a funny overscan-looking thing on this one before I fixed the shutdown issue. That's kind of bugging me, in case there's something causing the shift, which also could be loading the power supply and was the reason the board quit. I doubt that though.

Come to think: The only thing I haven't tried, is to use the media box from the other set. I'll be a monkey's uncle if the problem was in the media box, and here I'm swapping boards all over the place between the monitors! I would think logically, since the media box outputs a DVI signal, that the picture size & aspect is set within the monitor, but maybe not? Now I'll have to try.

Charles
Old 05-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

If the monitor accepts a standard DVI connector and signal, try feeding it directly from a computer, or from a Blu-ray or DVD player using an HDMI-to-DVI adapter or cable. If it works connected that way but displays the problem still, you can switch various resolutions to look for clues maybe.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I'm pleased to announce, that the set is now 100% in good order!

It was a fault in the media box, which I did not bother to look into. I swapped the box for the one from the other set, and it's fine. Eventually, I'll troubleshoot the box, just for curiosity sake, and of course to have a spare in case I ever repair the other monitor. That one has a bad sustain board, as best I can edu-guess.

Photo to come, once I coerce the Moorpark College football team to come help mount this gargantuan thing on the wall, LOL.

Charles
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I'm pleased to announce, that the set is now 100% in good order!

It was a fault in the media box, which I did not bother to look into. I swapped the box for the one from the other set, and it's fine. Eventually, I'll troubleshoot the box, just for curiosity sake, and of course to have a spare in case I ever repair the other monitor. That one has a bad sustain board, as best I can edu-guess.

Photo to come, once I coerce the Moorpark College football team to come help mount this gargantuan thing on the wall, LOL.

Charles

I was only kidding, but as it turns out, my wife's nephew is bringing two guys from his fraternity at USC up here tonight, and we're going to hang the set. I'll have the mount already up, and it will be engineered to hold 400 lbs, and will be lag-bolted with 5/16 x 4 inch bolts in 12 locations to 2x6 studs. I'm prohibited from that kind of lifting until my heart valve gets fixed, or I'd probably (FOOLISHLY) have figured out a way to hang the thing by myself.

Charles
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM
M is for Memory

How much ya want to bet that after you hang it the set stays attached to the wall, but the wall falls with the set?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
How much ya want to bet that after you hang it the set stays attached to the wall, but the wall falls with the set?
Believe me, I thought about that... It's a bearing wall with 2 x 6 studs and plywood earthquake sheathing, so I think it should be fine. I sure wouldn't do it on a non-bearing interior wall just held in place with nails to the floor and ceiling joists. It turns out we didn't hang it last night after all, as my wife isn't sure of the height she wants it to be.

Honestly I'd be happier with a floor base, but I can't find one that looks good, and also holds a set of this weight.

Charles
Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

It's a fungus among us... The two 61XBR950s must have exchanged spores, because now there's a little 42XBR950, which suddenly appeared in that room, and now Uncle 50XBR950 is showing up later today, to join the rest and Cousin 55XBR950. Jee-whiz!

Charles
Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds to me that you are now an official flatscreen collector and enthusiast!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
It's a fungus among us... The two 61XBR950s must have exchanged spores, because now there's a little 42XBR950, which suddenly appeared in that room, and now Uncle 50XBR950 is showing up later today, to join the rest and Cousin 55XBR950. Jee-whiz!

Charles
Sounds like a pair of beat up pink GE tube clock radios I bought at a swap meet donation auction for a buck thinking I could make one good one out of them to sell...Sometime later I find in a box of radios I got under similar circumstances another one that I could swear was not in that box before...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good job repairing that set . I bet its built like a tank too . I remember seeing them a ABT Electronics in Glenview IL Back in 2004 and they where like 18.000 to 10.000 grand . My Sony CRT Tube Model KV-40XBR800 I got for free in September 2013 ,she was heavy as all hell like 300.00 LBS , but the picture is very good with Blu-ray and it Also Has DVI Port a early digital connection for the HD ready sets . I have a Channel Master 7001 Converter hooked up to her and I get a very beautiful picture . But the set from time to time will shut down and flash 7 blinks . My service code mode will tell me that Im getting code 4,6,7 . Vertical and Horizontal deflection , that's in the power supply . I have the chips but am not going to do a thing as of now . For the last two months she is working well and me and my dad said if its not broke don't fix it . But it I ever see a early plasma xbr by sony like your for free Im going to take her and fix it . I can see the modem sets are made like junk nowadays and they don't place quality in them anymore , also all of the television signals in HD are 720P and they don't broadcast in 1080P just 720p like I was told at bestbuy, the same go's for Directv too inn HD Im understanding .So why Pay for HD Television with you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound for free from the air Very cool too .