Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Did you fix it yet?

I have a friend with one of these Vizios, exact same symptom. He was about to discard it, drop it off at the local SA after getting a $350 est. at a shop offering "free" estimates.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

No joy yet. I was hoping that the voltage measurements on the 3 terminal regulators might turn up a dead one, but they all seem to be producing voltages that are within reason for these devices. It is possible that one or more of these chips is not producing the correct voltage, but I have no way of telling without a schematic. I expected to find an indicator of the expected voltage on the board or chip number ( such as LD1117 3.3 for a 3.3 volt regulator), but no such luck! Still researching...

jr
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Convergence freak!

Sounds like all voltages are there, and nno backlight huh. Take a flashlight, look into the screen turn it on, any light changes, can you see anything in the panel like words from a menu? On the optical digital audio out, does it light up? I would say inverter bad, possibly not getting audio cause you cant see the menu for changes, these sets mute audio until a source is recognized.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would an inverter problem affect turn off of the set? ... it must be unplugged to reset it to the "off - standby" mode (amber light on front panel logo)

Thanks,
jr
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Convergence freak!

Nope, actually sounds a little like a scaler board (video). But oddly you should still get a backlight. If both are affected, usually power supply issue. The inverter/backlight and video board are two seperate things only joined by the power supply, and brightness of the backlight on some models are controlled by the video board..
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

My comment doesn't really pertain to the repair of this set (as I know NOTHING aboyt the repair of the newer stuff) but man... from what I've heard, those Vizeo's are pure crap. My brother has one in his bedroom he got a few month's ago. A 30 something inch 3D. It went dead... store sends someone to pick it up and deliver a new one. People dropping it off make a comment that they sure have been busy with the pick-ups on this model. And.. the new one was bad out of the box.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vizio is like a lot of other names. Some winners, some losers. I use two Vizio 26" LED monitors on my PC, never have a lick of trouble out of them.

Now, the GV47L, GV42L, SP42, VP42, P42, JV50P, VO(series), VX37L, L32, L37 and many others are huge piles of sun-baked excrement. Sure they look OK when they work, but the "when they work" is hit-and-miss...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
...Vizio 42" LCD set (GV42LHDTV) that does not turn on...
Curious if you've had any progress getting this thing fixed.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

No, they went out and bought a S0ny, so I did not play with it anymore!

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, It *could* have been one of the "easy" things !
jr