Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
AK Member

1970 radio identification

In the summer of 1970, I bought a radio through a Popular Mechanics magazine (I think it was this magazine). The radio was 12"-14"L,~8"H and 3" or so in depth.The radio had AM, FM and SW and quite possibly a second SW. There were 2 antennas, they were opposite each other on the top of the radio ( about 1" from the opposite sides)and they pulled straight up without rotating. The band selector knob was on the right side and the other controls were on the right front. Also, the frequency window ran the lenth of the radio (closest to the top). The radio was encased in black leather or simulated leather. In the back of the radio, the battery cover unsnapped so that the owner could get to the batteries or store the power cord.I have looked on e*** and haven't found anyting that comes close to this radio. I don't think it was a popular brand ie: RCA, Zenith etc. Any help will be appreciated.

Kelsey
Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Are you searching on eBay with the term "multiband" ??? There's a few that fit your description, but hard to tell the date(s) they were produced.

My brother got one of these multiband radios for Christmas in the late 70's. I saw it in his garage the other day....still playing. It was made in Hong Kong IIRC.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Are you searching on eBay with the term "multiband" ??? There's a few that fit your description, but hard to tell the date(s) they were produced.

My brother got one of these multiband radios for Christmas in the late 70's. I saw it in his garage the other day....still playing. It was made in Hong Kong IIRC.

Cheers,
Yes I have looked on ebay but I have not seen one that even comes close to the one I bought back when I was a young man. A week ago, I called a public library and they have Popular Mechanics that go to the year 1970 and even older than that on microfiche. I plan on going to the library sometime and try to find the radio in an advertisement.

Thank you for your help.