Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Mike Drown

Please help identify this Zenith early color set

I was wondering if anybody could help me with information about this Zenith color set that I have in my collection. It has a massive Blonde-wood cabinet with an unusual type of construction. The wood sections are attached to a cage-frame, with the cage-frame providing the main structure, not the wood joints. There is a date that has been stamped inside the cabinet, and it reads November, 1953. It has the 15 inch CRT, but I’m not sure exactly which type it is without disassembly. Unfortunately I can’t find a photo with the control door open, but it has knobs that are appropriate for a 1954 model Zenith tv. The controls are stacked vertically since the chassis they are attached to is mounted vertically.

I acquired this set several years ago from a long term Zenith dealer in a small town that went out of business. Previous inquiries about the set have provided the following information, and I would really appreciate it if anyone can help by confirming if the information is correct.

I have been told that Zenith made no more than 50 of these sets (in two separate production runs) as prototypes to demonstrate the new color system (mine would have come from the second run). Some of the sets were delivered to the FCC for testing of the color system, and the others were sent to regional Zenith distributors for demonstration and display purposes. Some of the sets were supposedly also used to show the 1954 Rose Parade at private parties hosted by the distributors. Apparently the sets were supposed to have been returned to Zenith to be destroyed. I’ve been told that about 6 of the units have survived. I’ve also had someone claim that one of these units was sold to WGN-TV in Chicago very early, and that sale date would make it the first NTSC color tv to have been sold, predating even the RCA’s.

Any information that would confirm, deny or add to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks…Mike
Old 08-14-2003, 04:06 AM
On Land

Mike,

You've got a rare one there!!! Does that beauty play? We'd all love to see some more photos if you have them. perhaps some close-ups and a shot of the inside.

Charlie

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Mike- It's junque. Can't be fixed. Send it to me-I'll take care of it environmentally responsibly & all. <grin> Seriously-Whoa !!! How does it feel to have the TV equivalent of Henry Ford's 1896 Quadricycle ?!? Or the 1886 Benz "Patent-Moternwagen" ?!? 'Cos that's about what you have there, podner. Congratulations-hope you can get it working. This is probably the best place to come to get advice on it as well. -Sandy G.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned

Awesome!

Mike,

That is a most beautiful and rare early color TV. These 1953 models were generally described as 'FT' for Field test sets. RCA had a precurser to their own CT-100 called the Model 5 that was made to the tune of 200 copies and these were used as you report yours was to show the Jan 1st, 1954 Rose Bowl Parade color telecast at selected venues. The Model 5 looks identical to a CT-100 except it has a criss-cross woodwork grille latice instead of the rectangular pattern of the CT-100.

There are several vintage TV collectors here that are fortunate to own early 15" color sets, myself included. I'm sure they will all report in when they see yours. I think I can speak for us all in welcoming you to a very exclusive and small society and asking if you'd be so kind as to post many more pictures, especially of the insides.

Awesome!

Rob
Old 08-14-2003, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

WOW!

Mike,
I am constantly amazed at the sets that show up on this site. The Philco 15" prototype and now your wonderful Zenith. I see a listing for your 15" Zenith on Ed Reitan's site.
He provides a list of very early production and prototype color sets.
Audiokarma
Old 08-14-2003, 10:23 PM
Administrator

I would think Steve McVoy of the Early Television Foundation would have some info on that set.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/index.html

I had never even heard of a Zenith color set that early! But then there are a lot of things I haven't heard of

Eric
Old 08-15-2003, 01:13 AM
Mike Drown

More photos forthcoming

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to my search for more info on this set. I really appreciate the enthusiasm and interest from everybody!

I was going through some photos the other day, and found this view of the Zenith that was taken soon after I bought it, about 10 years ago. Upon finding the photo, I thought I would share it with you, and hopefully find out more about it. The set has been in storage since I bought it. (don't worry, it's under plastic in a temperature-controlled, dry building!) Needless to say, I have acquired "a few" more tv's since then, which means the old Zenith is "a couple" of layers behind newer acquisitions.

Within the next week or so I will go to my storage place and clear a path to the Zenith and take some detailed pictures of it and post them on this thread.

I'm going from memory when I describe the set, but the cabinet is in very good condition, and all of the knobs seem to be present. There appears to originally have been two individual chassis in the set, but unfortunately, what I assume to be the power supply chassis, is not there. There also is no back-cover, however, given that it is a prototype, it may not have ever had one. The front doors of the cabinet have a beautiful etched pattern that has an art deco look to it. I also remember a traditional looking Zenith w/lightning bolt decal on the bottom-front.

Thanks again for all the help! If there are any questions, feel free to contact me, and check back in a week or two for more photos.

Mike
Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 PM
Mike Drown

2 more photos of my Zenith prototype color set

I found two more photos. Sorry I haven't had a chance to go take more yet.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Mike Drown

Okay, not sure why the photos didn't show, so here's another try.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Mike Drown

second photo
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2003, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great Zenith!

I don't have info, but I think you have us ALL drooling. GREAT SET!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Banned

Here, here!