Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

AAARRRGH!! Speaker

Got my Predicta speaker re-coned by JMAC. Looks great, nice job. Went to install it, was soldering the leads on when... ****!!! I slipped and stuck the iron through the cone!! Argh! I used about a months worth of cuss words in one minute. Ever feel like slapping yourself while banging your head into the wall?!!

Just thought I'd share with those that might understand. I'm still mad as hell. It is a small hole but still! I just paid $50 to have it fixed. Looking around, I see Kraft paper and contact cement recommended for the repair. What weight paper should I use?

Off to bang my head some more.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ugh, that sucks.

Reminds me of when I was 16 and had my first car. Trunk subwoofers were all the rage. I built a huge box for two 15" woofers. I spent a bunch on them. When it came time to install them, I was too lazy to get the drill for pilot holes, and thought I could just use drywall screws and run them in with a screwdriver. Well, you have to push a little to get them started. Of course, the screw folded over, and I jabbed my philips right through the surround. So I feel your pain.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Administrator

A soldering iron hole won't affect the sound. Just run it as is.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Use something no heavier than the cone itself, if it's an 1/8" diameter hole. Start by auditioning old-time grocery bags or lunch sacks. Or... got any old crappy speakers around? Harvest from them. Keep the patch pretty small, to preserve that kickin' hi-fi response.

Try to fold down the cone material from the front, and put your patch on the back. If you're lucky, all the pieces will fit and leave little to show. The 'artists pack' of sharpies should have the proper black/gray/brown to complete the masking... plus it's behind a grille, right? Not fully visible like a hi-fi speaker.

Back in the 're-coning JBL' days, you always had to hold the tip of the screwdriver to prevent the magnet from grabbing it. Holding tip of soldering iron was more of a challenge.

Good luck!
Chip
Old 03-24-2017, 02:46 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Holding tip of soldering iron was more of a challenge.
FSSSSsssss! Takes a LOT of finger tip leather and or determination to do that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
FSSSSsssss! Takes a LOT of finger tip leather and or determination to do that.
I've had teeth extracted without anesthetic, I've bitten myself with the 10kV on a late 40s ten incher, I've been the lucky recipient of more than a few RF and radiation burns, but by far the worst pain known to man is a hot soldering iron burn...
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
I've had teeth extracted without anesthetic, I've bitten myself with the 10kV on a late 40s ten incher, I've been the lucky recipient of more than a few RF and radiation burns, but by far the worst pain known to man is a hot soldering iron burn...
Oh yeah, I've been burned twice by soldering irons. Got a big blister on the middle finger of my left hand last time. I was using my other hand to hold the board so it was bound to happen. The other time I was jabbed in the back of the hand by someone else when he wasn't paying attention. To add insult to injury it was my iron.

Also, I've been bitten four times with line voltage. The first time I was a lot younger and got curious about a surface-mount light switch without a cover while shoeless on a concrete floor. The second time was because of a challenge from the super. He had scrapped a couple of motel sets and had a radio from one powered up with bare wires. He could hold onto a live line no problem, but that was probably because of all the booze in his system. The last two times were just because of carelessness, lesson learned. It may not be as painful but it's close. At least that pain doesn't linger.

Finally, never try to catch a falling soldering iron, you'll never catch the handle.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry to hear that. As long the voice coil is not ruined.I would just patch it up with some fingernail polish.I've been using it for years.Also I used Testors model glue at times.

Foot note: I've been there with soldering iron burns.Just make sure you are not wearing shorts working on something.You will be surprised when dropping an hot iron on your legs or something else down there.

Last edited by centralradio; 03-24-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I usually use coffee filter paper and diluted Elmers wood glue. When dry, touch up with a black sharpie, if patch visible through the grill cloth.

jr
Old 03-25-2017, 07:44 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I usually use coffee filter paper and diluted Elmers wood glue. When dry, touch up with a black sharpie, if patch visible through the grill cloth.

jr
There ya go!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma
Old 03-25-2017, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK, I'm getting over it. It's only a small hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
. Start by auditioning old-time grocery bags or lunch sacks. Or... got any old crappy speakers around? Harvest from them. Keep the patch pretty small, to preserve that kickin' hi-fi response.
Hehehe! Yeah, wouldn't wanna mess with the kickin' hi-fi response these speakers are famous for! Thanks, I needed a laugh. It sounds fine as is and I'll try the coffee filter and Elmer's just to prevent expansion of the hole from the booming bass in episodes of Honey West.

At least it was a straight up accident. Unlike driving a shark tooth screw into my finger last weekend, felt it hit the bone. I literally screwed myself. That wasn't an accident, that was a stupident!

Thanks for the advice commiseration.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 PM
David Thomas

I've used GC 10-302 "Radio TV Service Cement" for speaker repairs for years. Believe it or not, this stuff is still made. I just found it online at MCM Electronics for $8.99

The bottle I have now is at least 20 years old, and almost empty. I think I'll go ahead and order another bottle while it's still available.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 PM
The Resident Brony

+1 for coffee filter paper mache.