Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

This QEX Portable TV & VHS

This is at my local thrift.. I tested it the other day, and the tape plays but seems off speed or has tracking issues as it can't keep a clear picture, and there's also no sound.. I think this is a neat small portable TV/VCR with a handle on the top.. I want to get it, but not for that price, If I wait till next Sat, that colored price sticker will be included in the half off sale.. I did a google search with the QEX label and the model number and I can't get anything to come up about this product, even searched QEX and the model number alone and nothing.. Even did an eBay search on Portable VHS including sold/ended items, and nothing.. Was hoping to find something maybe under a different label.. Not sure if I posted this under the appropriate section.. Maybe someone on here knows any info?

Last edited by tvcollector; 09-25-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Even at 20% of the price, I wouldn't consider it!
It looks like it's going to be a real problem to repair it, as those faults are not an easy fix, even on the better makes.
Maybe someone else has a better opinion!
Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bet that was made for a conversion van.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I never heard of that brand before.I would give them $5 bucks for it.$10 the most.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:57 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
I bet that was made for a conversion van.
Could have also been for a big rig with a sleeper cabin. If you ever stop at a gas station that serves truckers you'll see the modern equivalent of that for sale...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Could have also been for a big rig with a sleeper cabin. If you ever stop at a gas station that serves truckers you'll see the modern equivalent of that for sale...
Interesting! What would that be? a small LCD set that plays from a sd memory chip? (which, imho would be cool) I've seen small DVD players before, but a memory chip reading device would seem to be more "modern"... perhaps truckers now just watch their iPhone/iPad devices?

jr
Old 09-26-2017, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic made something similar, which I have in storage somewhere.. It's just like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPO-VIDEOTRO...%257Ciid%253A1

Except mine is not a relabel, it's an actual Panasonic.. It doesn't work right either.. They look to be made for portable applications even though I don't think any of them runs off batteries.. So I'm confused.. I've seen TVs/VCR combos made for vans and vehicles and they usually have mounting on the sides or the top to either hang from the ceiling or mount between seats.. I don't think they ever made a portable VCR to run off D cell batteries or even a battery pack of sorts.. I don't think batteries would last very long running a VCR and TV.. The screens on these are actual small CRTs

Last edited by tvcollector; 09-26-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

If it has an FCC ID code on back you can look it up at
FCC.gov & see who built it & the model number of the
original. Not something I would pay over a fin for.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Interesting! What would that be? a small LCD set that plays from a sd memory chip? (which, imho would be cool) I've seen small DVD players before, but a memory chip reading device would seem to be more "modern"... perhaps truckers now just watch their iPhone/iPad devices?

jr
Love to get one of those.I have loads of videos on my backups to watch.Still looking for a SD/thumb drive video player with RCA comp outputs . I know Hollyweird dont like them but screw them.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Love to get one of those.I have loads of videos on my backups to watch.Still looking for a SD/thumb drive video player with RCA comp outputs . I know Hollyweird dont like them but screw them.
I think a Raspberry Pi with Openelec/Kodi is the closest thing to that (that comes to my mind anyway)

Maybe instead of a VCR a guy could stick a RPi in a portable CRT TV?
Audiokarma
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I have been using one of these since 2012.... there are likely cheaper and better units available today. Thought briefly about building it into a portable tv such as a Sony KV 5200, but that never went anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not affiliated,
jr
Old 09-27-2017, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I have been using one of these since 2012.... there are likely cheaper and better units available today. Thought briefly about building it into a portable tv such as a Sony KV 5200, but that never went anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not affiliated,
jr
Thanks JR .I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
I think a Raspberry Pi with Openelec/Kodi is the closest thing to that (that comes to my mind anyway)

Maybe instead of a VCR a guy could stick a RPi in a portable CRT TV?
Thanks.Not much into Raspberry stuff but I'll check it out.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Still looking for a SD/thumb drive video player with RCA comp outputs . I know Hollyweird dont like them but screw them.
I have a Diamond MP700 that is exactly what you describe, and I use it as a test generator and source of pictures and audio tones for amateur television (ATV, which is TV over ham radio). They seem to be discontinued, but Fry's Electronics stores had other similar devices all under $50 when I bought this one.

Also, Fry's has or had a Naxa-brand digital-TV tuner with composite-video and RF outputs that also has an SD card slot for media.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I have a Diamond MP700 that is exactly what you describe, and I use it as a test generator and source of pictures and audio tones for amateur television (ATV, which is TV over ham radio). They seem to be discontinued, but Fry's Electronics stores had other similar devices all under $50 when I bought this one.

Also, Fry's has or had a Naxa-brand digital-TV tuner with composite-video and RF outputs that also has an SD card slot for media.
Thanks Chris.I'll look into them.Bestbuys are probably afraid of them and offending whats left in Hollywierd since they dont have them.