Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA remote control standard SC-601

Basically this unit will substitute for the remote control and transducer. It produces a signal at all the frequencies listed on the 2 dials, modulated or not (notice later the addition of the 2nd dial and set of crystals for the frequencies for remotes, which according to the chart on top are for CTC 38-71 sets).

All I did to it was recap, replace the missing screw terminals on the front, and clean some rust off the chassis. Pictures show it working. This is an unusual unit and I haven't found any information on it, even looking in the old RCA test equipment catalog I have. Date on the front says 12/66, which makes sense as it doesn't produce the frequencies corresponding to the older CTC 9-10-11 remote you see me testing it with in the pic. The 5th pic shows the unit producing its own signal, in the 6th it shows what it's receiving from the remote.

Last edited by Adam; 11-24-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:18 AM
David Thomas

Nice piece of equipment. I'd guess those are pretty rare (I know this is the first one I ever saw).

Nice scope you got there. I used to have one just like it that came from the Magnavox engineering department here in Knoxville back in the late 80's. It was a real work horse!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up that scope at an electronics surplus place in Berkeley, CA in spring of 2002 - it still has the University of California sticker on the top. At the time I had no idea how to use it, I just picked it up because I thought it looked cool. I had some trouble with the HV about 3 years ago, but otherwise it's been my only scope for all that time, and it's worked great. Not bad for a 50 year old piece of equipment!

I've picked up a few of the different plug ins too. I have 2 L's, 2 K's, the M - 2 of the channels don't work, and the CA.

Last edited by Adam; 01-12-2014 at 11:15 AM.