Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca vbt200

I finally got around to working on that RCA VBT200 I picked up along with that Quasar "great time machine". First, I replaced that dead tape sensor light. Still wouldn't play a tape. Then, replaced all the belts ... still wouldn't play a tape. Then replaced idler tires, then it would rewind and fast forward and it would almost play a tape (it would get stuck trying to load the tape). Then cleaned out some hardened grease, now it plays tapes!

Next, there was no sound. But this turned out to just be caused by a dirty switch that activated when you hit record. Cleaned the switch, then had sound.

The final problem is weird. The picture is sort of horizontally jittery. And the color is smeared out, the red more than the others. The smeared out red also seems to shake at a different rate than the rest of the picture. Occasionally, the picture goes all red (I took a picture of this, shown below).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2350 2.jpg (87.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Adam; 02-03-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

The video outputs fine if I just use the VCR as a tuner, and cleaning the head does no good. The next step I'm thinking of is to start looking for bad e-caps in the chroma playback circuits. But I hate to do any unnecessary soldering on these boards which seem very delicate, replacing good caps which I just think might be bad. (I already started to lift off a trace in replacing that tape sensor light)

Last edited by Adam; 02-03-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi there. Late reply so apologies. How does the picture look if you play back a color-bar tape?