Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Followin' the Rules...

My First Roundie

Got my first roundie today - an RCA GF631M, probably late 1964, 21FJP22 CRT. There's a TV shop that is closing in Virginia Beach, and I got the TV from them - 25 dollars. They even threw in a NOS degaussing Globar that was taped to the CRT face. The model tag in intact on the back. Haven't plugged it up yet. While there, I saw a professional studio photo of the same set - turns out some production company used it as a prop. I'm not sure what the production was - movie, TV or print, but I'll be looking. It's got the wrong legs - mine are squarish and they should be round.

I hauled away two other TV's in the same lot, a FREE 19" Setchell Carlson BW Console(ette?) and a luggable 19" Dumont BW portable for 5 dollars (I offered 10, he talked me down to 5).

So now I guess my 6BK4 quotient is at a "1" - funny thing is, short of a CRT or flyback, I have nearly every part for this set in NOS condition, just waitin' to be used...

Pics and update promised soon. Cheers!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Got my first roundie today - an RCA GF631M, probably late 1964, 21FJP22 CRT. There's a TV shop that is closing in Virginia Beach, and I got the TV from them - 25 dollars.
Wow are you lucky. I live in Suffolk Va. and I had to get my roundie shipped from New Jersey. I hope you get it running, they are great sets.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Uh, looks like my new roundie is a 1965, per RCA's Knob directory.

For everyone's benefit, I posted the RCA 62-66 knob directory here:
http://www.mebeep.com/pix/RCAKnobsCTV6266.PDF

Due to bandwidth restrictions, I'll keep it there until my limit is up. Feel free to post it on any website, no credit needed. I'll scan my other directories later - B/W, Color (rectangular) - and post them to the appropriate Forum.

Cheers

Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Compucat - It was Cox TV in Va Beach. Bill Davenport is selling out - do you know him?

Cheers

Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM
electronics packrat

That would be a CTC-15 or 16 chassis, wouldn't it?

Dumont-First with the finest in television.
Audiokarma
Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Yep - CTC-16E - per Sams. Haven't checked my RCA lit. Had to leave the set alone til tomorrow - I have other obligations.

Obligations - noun, plural. Everything that gets between one and his/her favorite things to do.

Cheers

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Compucat - It was Cox TV in Va Beach. Bill Davenport is selling out - do you know him?

Cheers
No I don't know Bill Davenport. The last time I worked for a TV repair shop was in 1988. I was at All Brands Electronics in Portsmouth. It was owned by Cameron Pitts who is now on the Portsmouth City Council. I had to leave it as a profession because I could'nt make a living at it. I now use my repair knowledge to collect and restore sets in my collection.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congrats on finding your first round color set.
The ctc16 chassis displays a really good picture and it is worth restoring. This screen shot is a ctc16xl chassis.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tvs 004.jpg (37.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
The last time I worked for a TV repair shop was in 1988. I had to leave it as a profession because I could'nt make a living at it. I now use my repair knowledge to collect and restore sets in my collection.
Yea, the late 80's were a tough time - I painfully remember the old GE AA/AB/AC/EC chassis sets, the Zenith System 3 sets with the bad 9-160 sweep modules (and all the variants, -02,-03,-04, etc), the Korean sets (and Sharp!) with the bad flybacks. Thank God for the VCRs - belt kit and idler tire jobs kept us from starving.

Cheers

Old 06-15-2007, 01:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2007, 07:05 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Yea, the late 80's were a tough time - I painfully remember the old GE AA/AB/AC/EC chassis sets, the Zenith System 3 sets with the bad 9-160 sweep modules (and all the variants, -02,-03,-04, etc), the Korean sets (and Sharp!) with the bad flybacks. Thank God for the VCRs - belt kit and idler tire jobs kept us from starving.

Cheers
The Eighties were terrible in many ways but what killed the TV repair business was the widespread adoption of the "disposable mentality" If a set cost anything at all to repair, it went to the dump and was replaced. Long gone are the days were you would have a set repaired for ten to fifteen years before replacement. We collector types are the only ones who still hold to this idea. I actually get a little distressed wondering if I will be able to keep my Zenith roundie working thirty years from now.

I do remember the Korean sets. It seemed like every Samsung that came through the door had a bad flyback. The GEs at that time had their problems but I liked them. They were good performers and had attractive cabinet styles. One thing I did like, however, was that you would still get to work on a tube set once in a while. I hear current TV repair shops won't even look at them.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:05 PM
roundie not so n00b

:angry:

I have always held the belief that large appliances, well no... pretty much anything, should be repaired, not replaced, unless a tree falls on it. Even then I'd probably see if I could make it work, to have around as a backup.

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Followin' the Rules...

An update to my CTC-16 roundie. I finally got a chance to spend an hour (a WHOLE hour!) looking it over yesterday. Looks 100% complete, but it seems my flyback may be toast. Big ol' wad o' wax between the cores, and the HV cage was missing the screws, a clue that somebody else came to the same conclusion. CRT checks good with the B&K 470 - took longer to find the 21" adapter for it than to test it. I've attached photos - I'll apologize for the lousy focus, kinda cramped quarters in the storage room at Dad's shop, and tough to get any clearance for a good camera shot.

Notice in the picture of the back - I have the wrong legs. Gonna have to find the round legs. Dad may have a few in his 30-year stash of parts..

I'll have time this week to fire it off and do some preliminary tests (slow turn on with a variac, B+ checks, and some cosmetic checks). I'll post updates and possibly a cry for help if needed. Til then, here's the pix:

Semper 6GH8's!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 04-28-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Very nice set. My first roundie was a CTC-16 like yours in a chineese cabinet. it worked after I brought it up on a variac, but I've got a growing cataract problem and the need for new power supply caps. Like many of my sets, Its waiting for whenever I get some spare time.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Audiokarma