Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

[Community TV Pt. 1] Decisions, decisions.

Sooo.... after the positive response in my previous thread I figure I'd give this a nudge out the door.

First things first:

1. Do we have someone interested in being the builder for this set? You will require alignment equipment and experience!

2. Can we decide on a set to build? Ideally, it should have NOS parts that are easily/cheaply obtainable (or worst-case, substituted with new parts of equivalent value).

Vote/voice your opinions below. Votes will be held if we can't agree on a single person/model.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hard to think of just building a copy of a set. I'd say try to take the better parts of certain brans and try and make them work together. For example, Zenith flybacks were very reliable, RCA were not always. RCA color circuits are reliable and simple. The color injection on Zenith can be a problem.
More later, work calls
Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM
M is for Memory

I like the idea of a delta gun color predicta with ultra sonic remote, and maybe a Zenith chassis circuit with RCA color demods, and stereo sound.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Not sure how I got here.

not to derail you, but a good thing to consider as far as community stuff would be a few tools that you may only use once a year, Like community/rental crt tester, alignment things, stuff one might only use once or twice in two years. Maybe a really good crt tester and it could be rented for 30 days returned, and kept by one person???? really good wood case..... Well that is what I think as far as a community thing goes.....
Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

What would really make this interesting is if we would use only tubes in current production, wherever possible. I understand that some tubes, like HV rectifiers, would be impossible to find.
But there are many tubes in production for audio use that would work in video circuits, and were used in TV sets in the past. EF86 pentodes, 12bh7's, 6FQ7's, big tetrodes like 6L6GC's or 6550's as Horizontal output tubes, etc...

These links are just an example of the variety of tubes in production today.
http://www.tubedepot.com/elha.html
http://www.tubedepot.com/jjtesla.html
http://www.tubedepot.com/sino.html
http://www.tubedepot.com/sovtek.html
Audiokarma
Old 09-19-2011, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi, about the current-productions tubes: I'd recommend that you avoid Sino and JJ. Having used many (most) brands of modern tubes for hi-fi, these are the only two brands which have given me trouble(redplating, arcing, general loss of fidelity after a very short time).

I can wholeheartedly recommend some Chinese and Russian tubes however--Electro-Harmonix, Tung Sol, Genalex, Sovtek. My main hifi amplifier just got a new matched quad of EL34B-HT from Ruby Tubes (chinese Shuguang) which sound superb.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I see I'm not the only one to see JJ tubes expire. Getting back on track, I think some of the larger audio output tubes (KT90, KT120) are rated at rather high plate voltage making them a possibility for sweep output tubes.
The next question is what flyback for use with them.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Hi, about the current-productions tubes: I'd recommend that you avoid Sino and JJ. Having used many (most) brands of modern tubes for hi-fi, these are the only two brands which have given me trouble(redplating, arcing, general loss of fidelity after a very short time).

I can wholeheartedly recommend some Chinese and Russian tubes however--Electro-Harmonix, Tung Sol, Genalex, Sovtek. My main hifi amplifier just got a new matched quad of EL34B-HT from Ruby Tubes (chinese Shuguang) which sound superb.
I totally agree about JJ when it comes to octal power tubes and rectifiers. Some of their small signal tubes are quite good though, and their newly engineered ECC99 dual triode is an interesting animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
I see I'm not the only one to see JJ tubes expire. Getting back on track, I think some of the larger audio output tubes (KT90, KT120) are rated at rather high plate voltage making them a possibility for sweep output tubes.
The next question is what flyback for use with them.
As far as sweep tubes go, there is an actual sweep tube in current production, the 6KG6/EL509/6P45S, made in Russia by SED/Winged C. It's a robust, well made tube. OTL amp guys love them. http://www.sed-usa.com/index.asp?str...&strPage=EL509

Last edited by fsjonsey; 09-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

While I like the idea of using current-production tubes, the main issue I have with that is it necessitates essentially building a circuit from scratch... which requires additional skills to design and select proper component values.

If we have folks here who are willing to help out with that, then we can certainly give it a go!

Regarding the flyback - that is indeed an issue, as we must either adapt the circuit to use NOS or build our own. While more common, I think using an SS flyback would be "cheating"... what's the general concensus for that?