Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
AK Member

Zenith Space Command Remote/ Adam-12

I recently purchased the classic 1960's TV series Adam -12 on DVD. In the season 2 episode # 20 " The Bomb" (3-14-1970), a bomb is left in a storage area of an electronics plant. The bomb squad tell Reed & Maloy that the bomb is controlled by a device and they have to find it fast. They search the lockers and come across a box that looks suspicious, when they open it a Zenith Space Command remote is show. The idiot plant guard say's "hey it's one of those clickers that changes the channel on a set and goes to push the button, and they stop him. The bomb squad then disarms the bomb. They push the remote button and it registers on their frequency meter as the operating device.

I just thought It was interesting to share.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

ha thats cool. What kind of space command was it? Was it a 600? Slightly off topic, but space command remotes were like the only remote you'd see on older TV shows. Quite often, I'd see someone change channels with a zenith clicker and clearly the TV itself was not a zenith.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

On an episode of trapper john, md; I saw someone changing channels in one of the hospital rooms with an old Zenith clicker remote. They didn't actually show the TV; so, I don't know what it was. I do know that I've never seen a wireless hospital TV remote of any kind. They were all wired and connected to a jack on the wall.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
ha thats cool. What kind of space command was it? Was it a 600? Slightly off topic, but space command remotes were like the only remote you'd see on older TV shows. Quite often, I'd see someone change channels with a zenith clicker and clearly the TV itself was not a zenith.
It was a Space Command with 2 buttons. I stopped the frame and they had a piece of brown tape covering the name Zenith. They found it in a lunch box.

I noticed the same thing about Space Command usualy the remote being used on old shows. I think a time or two I saw what looked like a Admiral Sonar remote used.

The bomb squad sure has come a long way. All they had back then was a cart with a shield built on it with two holes cut out so long metal hooks could pick up the bomb.