Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

WANTED: E.S.R. Meter

Anybody have a good working E.S.R. meter to let go of please let me know. Or even if you have some advice on what NOT to get as I see a number of them online of course. I don't mess with Ebay because of Paypal, but there are a lot of resources.

I start here because I figure if I go used than most anyone here will be honest enough to be straight with me on condition or any issues with knowledge to back it up. Ebay and the like could be anybody with a load of junk that they invested in or found on the curb.

Thanks all!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got mine from Home Depot by Klein Tools.. Works well..

Last edited by tvcollector; 03-14-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

You got an E.S.R. meter from Home Depot? Wow! I was just there the other day, but didn't even look as I made the evidently mistaken assumption that all that they would have would be digital multimeters; some offering a capacitance test which is not what I need. The E.S.R. meter tells more evidently than simply the value; way more.

However, I still feel like one of the very old capacitor testers that test them under loaded conditions is the way to go except for the fact that the cap would need to be out of circuit where as the E.S.R. meter can supposedly be used in circuit. Anyway, could you tell me for certain if this is a multimeter or an E.S.R. meter. Perhaps I can look on the website.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is the one I bought over a year ago.. It tests capacitance, Resistance, and voltages. I was able to locate a few bad caps in some old VCRS with this tool, but I don't know how well it works with caps that may be fine when cold or leakage etc. I would assume an old Capacitor tester is probably better for capacitors..

I'd say for the price this meter is well worth it..

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...1000/202521270
Old 03-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Restoring Admiral T2301

Keep in mind that ESR meters are virtually useless for testing vintage caps. They can only test electrolyitcs (not paper, plastic or mica) and they use low voltage at high frequency (100kHz). That's great for working on modern high current, low voltage switch mode power supplies. However, they don't test for leakage current at high voltages like you encounter in tube equipment.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

With that being said, I need what I really want anyway; a good old bench capacitor tester that works well. These test for various conditions and under a load, but where will I find one short of Ebay? So many articles led me to believe that the E.S.R. meter was the great, new digital wonder that is essential if you are seriously into electronics. I noticed some limitations in reading some specs that led me to some of the thoughts that bandersen mentioned.

My God, if all this thing does is tests relatively large value electrolytics I might as well just get out the trusty and bulletproof Simpson analog and watch the meter swing! LOL
Old 03-15-2014, 02:20 PM
M is for Memory

Many older tuning eye type cap testers also test ESR. They call that test 'power factor' IIRC.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

If you want to quickly test multiple electrolytic capacitors in-circuit for a general good/bad test (typically in solid-state equipment), an ESR meter is an excellent tool. If you want to test the value of various smaller capacitors (micas, discs, modern Mylars, etc.), one of the digital capacitance meters should be fine. If you want to test capacitors in other ways, or for other reasons, well, maybe there is a value to it, but I have not seen it. Any capacitors that do not fit the first two groups, in my opinion, might as well just be replaced right from the start.

If you want to avoid Ebay, then Amazon has some ESR meters. The only "real" brand name I see, though, is B&K Precision, and their meters are not cheap.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."