Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looking for Tube Cameras

Hey all,

Was recommended to post on VideoKarma as maybe you guys could help me out.

I'm working on a production based @ Sony in Los Angeles and we're looking to find old tube cameras, from the 60s/70s/80s to shoot real footage on, for use in the film.

Our film takes place across multiple decades and we would like to add that authentic look, but so far really good working tube cameras have been hard to find, and although I have a few options via private collectors, we're looking for more.

If anyone here has any to rent/buy, or could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 08-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Moved to correct forum.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Looking For Time

Have you tried Harry Poster www.harryposter.com ? He is big into television receivers, but he might be able to help, or point you in the right direction.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Isn't Chuck Pharis the vintage camera guru?

https://www.facebook.com/Chuck-Phari...1740215321759/

http://www.pharis-video.com/
Old 08-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Send a PM to Steve D. He worked at KTLA for many years and has a collection of cameras if memory serves.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys! @ vts and Kamakiri, I will definitely reach out to Harry and Steve, respectively. Thanks for the leads.

And thanks Eric, I've been in contact with Chuck. He's not local to LA anymore but has been supremely helpful and is most definitely an expert.

Really appreciate all the help guys!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

You didn't state what type of tube camera you are looking for. I found a Sony video camera similar to this picture last year at a yard sale in Long Beach CA for $5.00. It probably doesn't work. Unfortunately I stored it in a house up in Big Bear CA about 2 months ago. I'm assuming your looking for large Studio type camera. This type camera was probably used at a college or very small studio?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony-camera.jpg (31.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ther Early Television Museum in Ohio has a few.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/panoramic_images.html

Plus check out their links/resources page for other possibilities. You would need to contact them to discover operational status and financial arrangements, but I do know they're looking to re-do the parking lot, etc. so they have capital needs you could assist with. Pretty sure they'll want stuff back undamaged, of course.

Several features have used what looks like period gear, so you might look on IMDB to see who the various suppliers were.

For example, Grease (film) and Hairspray were set in-period, and had the gear available. Whether it was operating to generate pictures I'm not sure. NBC's recent Grease live cast had some gear they probably just pulled out of their warehouse...

The recent Netflix production GLOW had slightly later gear in action, including what looked like 3/4" machines in actual use.

Calling PBS stations away from major metro areas could, sadly, reveal equipment that was used up until recently.

Chip

Last edited by Chip Chester; 08-23-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

@rld-tv01: Don't know too much about them honestly, just trying to find some of the more portable ones to shoot with. That Sony you have looks like it would definitely fit the bill. If you get around to checking on it, let me know!

@Chip Chester: thanks Chip! I will check that out. So far been tough to find suppliers out here but will keep lool again and check imdb. Appreciate all the ideas!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Have you tried History for Hire? http://www.historyforhire.com/
Audiokarma