Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, but I'll bet I know who was/is The Boss.....<grin> -Sandy G.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Up and Coming Bottlehead

Location: Lakeland, smack-dab in the middle between Tampa and Orlando, Florida!
Women who appreciate vacuum tubes are a rare breed!

Besides you, Paula, my mom is the only other woman I know that even knows what a vacuum tube is, let alone appreciates them and the equipment that uses them. Though she's not technically inclined, she does know a 5U4G from a 6K6G!

When she was a little girl in the early '40s, her folks had an old Philco AM/Shortwave/Police band console radio that she loved dearly. In the early '50s they bought their first TV and the radio sat in the basement for years, neglected and alone. When my mom married my dad in '60, her parents later cleaned house and the radio was sold, unbeknownst to her.

For years my mom was always on the lookout for another Philco console that resembled the '37 model her parents had...since my dad has a little business on the side restoring antique tube radios, finding "diamonds in the rough" that have any potential for restoration don't always make their presence known, or you stumble across them when you least expect it. After all these years, my mom discovered the same model Philco her parents owned at an antique shop in NH...it was in ratty shape, but doable (the wood cabinet cleaned up perfectly, so no finishing was ever needed, and looks nearly new)! My dad completely repaired and restored the radio last year, and now my mom proudly uses it everyday listening to an oldies station there in Hartford! It brings back those fond childhood memories when her family gathered 'round the ol' Philco listening to Amos & Andy!

Old 04-16-2004, 10:24 PM
AK Member

Re: Women who appreciate vacuum tubes are a rare breed!

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the nice story about your mother and the Philco!

Quote:
Originally posted by jt1stcav
Besides you, Paula, my mom is the only other woman I know that even knows what a vacuum tube is, let alone appreciates them and the equipment that uses them.
She sounds like a very interesting woman.

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is this the way all of us start?

Taking things apart around the house, or other peoples houses, for that matter, and then ,hiding them, 'cause we were unable to put them back togehter again? I know that is how it started with me, as a child. And no, my curiousity was NOT well received, at my house, either.

Of course, now, I no longer take something apart, that is familiar to me, like a modern tv set or stereo, "just to see what makes it work", I already KNOW what makes that stuff work nowdays, so it is "old hat", most of the time!!

Nowdays, on my job, if a tv does not need to be taken apart, i dont do it. too much unneeded work. ( Though I DO confess to taking apart a plasma set,sometime ago, to see inside of it, that worked ok).

Last edited by rca2000; 04-17-2004 at 12:47 AM.