Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2002, 03:27 PM
Admin

Old Cho Cho trains

Hye Kam Heres those pics. I cant really tell ya much other than what writen on the cars themselves.

Dave
Old 06-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Admin

Pic 2
Old 06-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Admin

And the last one. My guessi s the Loco is and American Flyer. I cant find anything writen on it but the coal tender had Amrican Flyer and Northwestern and the number 287writen on it. I think the Loco was a 4-6-4 but hte rear trucks are missing. On the Overland Express car it clearly marked on the bottom and sides American Flyer. On the Passenger cars It says American Flyer Lines number 955 and 951. The last car is I think an old Hopper that I think is Marx it has fake trucks moulded into the side of the
car and the real trucks would sit behind them. The trucks are missing from both ends of this one. Almost all the cars have surface rust covering anythin metal. I also have atleast 40 Pieces of Lionel track but theres rust covering alot of them. And lastly Theres 3 transformers.

1 Marx #319
1 Marx #1249
1American Flyer #1 1/2

I used to do the HO scale thing for years with my dad so I know a thing or two. Mostly I just knew enough to stay the hell away from anything O scale or Marklin. Too much money for this broke SOB. None of the stuff I listed here is in great shape but some of the cars could be restored I am sure of. Thanks for any help

Dave
Old 06-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Okay....

Question number one....which pieces are metal and which are plastic? Plastic pieces would tell me that it's probably post-1955 era. The AF stuff that was in the 1960s was pure garbage, and it doesn't appear that yours falls into that category).

Lionel stuff I know quite well, AF I know the basics. Of the lot, I'd say that the green pullmans are worth the biggest buck, the engine (if plastic) an offhand guess would be $75 or so, if you can hook up a transformer and get a piece of track to test them, that will help you move them.

Generally if you're into trains, the most wheels on an engine, the heavier it is, the bigger price it will fetch. The cars, the better constructed, cooler-looking stuff birngs the top dollar. With rare exception for the really rare stuff.

Beginning to sound kinda like vintage audio!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:15 AM
AK Member

Cool

The loco is a 4-6-2 "pacific" type. It has smoke and "choo-choo" sounds, operating headlight and the lever inside is for direction control. It looks like the metal bell is missing from above the headlight. If I remember right the wire coming out of the tender had a plug on the end that went into the loco under the electric motor. The trailing truck swiveled like the pilot truck on that little "button" inside the bottom of the cab. Other than that, it looks complete to me. Here's one in "E-" condition for $65 (no pic) http://www.amerflyer.com/leventon/list_used.htm
The combine I don't recognize, and the green ones look like they light up.
FWIW American Flyer runs on AC not DC voltages.
Lionel bought A. C. Gilbert (parent co. of AF) in the early-mid 60s(?) to eliminate the competion. Occasionally Lionel will reproduce new ones at BIG prices.
Brad

Last edited by steamshooter; 06-27-2002 at 07:31 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2002, 10:54 AM
AK Member

Choo Choo Trains

Hey Grumpy, I had that exact engine and coal car in your first pic when I was a kid, unbeleiveable!

I'm telling you just looking at them brings back memories.... like that electrical smell of my transformer when it was ready to blowup and running full throttle around the corners trying to keep from crashing or... trying to crash!

Wow, I wish I had them now. They somehow got filtered down in my family, cousins or something, but I do still have the little red caboose from my set. It's sitting in my son's room now along with all his action figures.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:08 AM
AK Member

Grumpy
I told you wrong, it's the drawbar for the tender that hooks over the "button" on the back of the loco. I think I have one of those packed away. Dad bought a s&%tload of AF around ' 65 or so for $75. Still get it out to play, especially Christmas! Some little boys never grow up. I give it a thumbs up
Brad
Old 06-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Admin

Thanks guys for all the info. I used to be pretty heavy into trains and Slot cars. I loved this stuff too. It just got way to pricey way to fast!. If the stuff was in better shape I would Keep it and teach my little ones about it. My EX wife lovrd trains and wanted me to put an H O scale set in her kitchen. Of course but the time I got done It circled her whole kitchen (17X10) on top of her cabinets. I went out and bought an new Atherns 4-8-4 Steamer and loaded her with all food brand Boxcars. It was the coolest thing. Of course she thought it was a bit outta hand but it the kiddies including me thought it was awesome. Anyhow back to these cars. All of them are Plastic includng the steamer so I knew they werent that old. I think they would be great for someone whos looking for fixer uppers. I was kinda hoping to get more than the 10 bucks I got in all of it. Ya think I will have any trouble.

Dave