Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

This reminds me of the TV shop that I cleaned out in Athens, Texas. The only difference is that probably had more stuff in it than this one. I used to have some pictures. If I find them, I will scan them in.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are any of those sets sitting outside the old Roundie Zeniths, (pre uhf), with intact chassis?

Like the 29jc20 or 27kc20, for example?
Old 01-21-2005, 10:07 PM
On Land

No, they're all square sets except for one ctc15 that's toast. There are only 2 roundies left inside... a 15 and a Curtis Mathes. They're both in bad shape, but i will be saving the 15 chassis.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:50 PM
<--1956 300B

Charlie,

Here is that cabinet for the CTC 16. I think that is a tuner that goes with it. It is a lot better than the one you have. I know it is plain jane but it is solid. I can bring it when I pick up the Setchell Carlson.

polaraman
Old 01-21-2005, 10:55 PM
<--1956 300B

Charlie,

It has a few nicks here and there. One stain on the top. A well placed radio would cure that. Let me know if you want it.

Are any of those rectangular sets a CTC 38/39? I need some parts to put mine back together.

Any Montgomery Wards Airline rectangular color sets?

polaraman

Last edited by polaraman; 01-22-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-22-2005, 02:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Charlie,

Is that a pair of old Jensen speakers behind that set, in those big cabinets? If so, i bet someone here would like to have them!
Old 01-22-2005, 06:34 AM
<--1956 300B

RCA 2000,

I got those 2 weeks ago at an antique show. Paid $20 for the pair. The one on the left has a Jensen Alnico 5 speaker. The right is a Altec Lansing 603. I do not know what one is the correct speaker.

polaraman
Old 01-22-2005, 07:35 AM
I love old stuff

Good job, Charlie. People like us will save the history.
I wish I had more money and wish to move from that Communist matchbox that I'm living in.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Awww, man !! Diggin' around in that junk hole would about be like HEAVEN to me... Did I ever mention that I'm a packrat ? Of course, nobody else here is a packrat, so I don't expect youse guys to understand....<grin>-Sandy G.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Sandy G!! I'm a packrat as well..... LOL I'm also in a small 1 bedroom apartment. When I have people over they say it reminds them of being in an antiques mall booth. I don't know if that's a "good thing" or not!!!
Audiokarma
Old 01-22-2005, 10:54 PM
On Land

Today's load

Brought home some good stuff today. There was a cute little RCA set that I listed in the b&w section.

But even better.... brought home tons of knobs still on the cards! I think I had 4 milkcrates of NOS knobs, and two smaller boxes of loose knobs. It seems they're from the late 40's thru early 60's. I went thru them briefly and it looks like they're mainly channel selectors and fine tuners. I sorted thru some of them and filled one milk crate with only RCA knobs. There are many RCA channel selectors similar in style to CTC7 thru 11 sets.

It will probably be at least a week before I get around to sorting them out. I think I will try boxing them by tv brand. Looks like they are mainly RCA, GE, Motorola, Crosley, Westinghouse, Admiral, and Philco. I do not recall seeing many Zenith knobs. Once I get some kind of list going, I'll let you guys know in case there's something in there ya'll can use. I'm sure there will be. At that time, I'll probably put a thread in the TV Partswap forum.

Many of the knobs on cards are quite dirty, and many with mildew. They should clean up well. Looks like those cards sat in that box for many many years before I found them.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I love old stuff

That "Setchell Carlson" is an all tube color tv or an hybrid one? The picture tube gots "delta" or "in line" shadow mask? Uh, those "delta" picture tubes are a bigtrouble maker.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
On Land

Other than the UHF tuner, this set is all tube. Looks like all the tubes in there are pretty common to what you'd find in RCA or Zenith. It appears that most of the tubes are still the original Setchell's.

Don't know much bout the CRT other than it's a 25AXP22 and the red gun's a little weak. I grabbed a spare CRT for it that tested like new.

An inspection tag inside the cabinet is dated Jan. 25, 1967.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 PM
console lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
Somebody has that Stromberg-Carlson 15' color set. I think it is ETF.
The ETF doesn't have one. In fact their website has no reference to the K-1 whatsoever, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's none left. I found this brochure at TV history: http://www.tvhistory.tv/1955-Strombe...n-K1-Color.JPG I get the impression it was not among the first sets offered; more like by the time S-C introduced their 15" set, RCA, Motorola etc were already offering 21" sets.

Last edited by TDRyan; 02-11-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:24 PM
On Land

A day at the shop with Polaraman

Today, I had a day spent with Polaraman. He made a trip over here to pick up the Setchel Carlson color set i saved for him. We paid a visit to a local friend and bought a truck load of Sams that he and I split up. Then, we made a run to the tv shop.

I showed him thru the attic of the old shop, and then we went rummaging thru the old warehouse across the street. It was great to have another collector come along. Having an extra pair of eyes turned out great for the both of us. He spotted many items that I had missed in the piles and on the shelves. He was like a kid in a candy store! By the time it got dark, we had his old Dodge completely loaded with stuff for the both of us! We nearly had to carry some stuff in the cab with us.

After getting back to my house and splitting the Sams between the two of us, we were able to get some bigger stuff from my garage into his truck. He's back on the highway again to make some more stops around Texas, then will be headed back to Georgia. He should be home by Monday with a full load and a very wide variety of items from here, the tv shop, and his other stops along the way.

I'm not going to tell what his list of items includes... I'll save that for him to do in a few days. Trust me though... he's gonna have plenty to keep himself busy with for a good while!!!

Rich, it was a pleasure having you here! Glad we were able to find you enough to make the long trip worth it!

The photo below is him and his faithful Dodge just before he left here. You can't see all of his goodies... much of the load is behind the two consoles and some even in the cab. At least he still has plenty of room for other goodies he'll be picking up in the next couple of days.

Audiokarma