Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Score !!

A waitress in a restaurant told me her husband had a LEATHER Zenith T/O & would I be interested ? Uhh, YEAH.. So today I went to see it, & came home w/it. Turned out I knew the guy, he's a Gun Buddy, as well. The leather is in VERY good shape, just a couple of "Nits". A bit dirty, I guess I'll get some Saddle Soap, clean it, & then give it a goin' over or 2 w/some neutral shoe polish. Haven't even plugged it in, the guy told me it works. Gave him $260, not a GREAT deal, but this is the ONLY one of these I've ever seen "In the Wild". Plus, it was local, I didn't hafta worry w/United Package Smashers, hell, THAT'S worth a lot, right there.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi, Sandy G!

Keep us posted about your "new" Zenith. I remember having seen Transoceanics down here in Cuba. That was in my youth, I am not sure if that was before or just after they discovered the wheel. Some pictures, please!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

She WORKS !!! Well, not TOO well right here, inside my house, plus we have our ALMOST daily Summer Thunderboomer goin' thru..And its STILL daylite here, I'll see what she'll do w/all the antennas up & all that. This one is a Tooob T/O, they didn't have the snazzy leather ones after they went to Soiled-State in 1958. They DID however, keep the Tube ones in limited production til 1962. You never know-These Transistor thingies MIGHT be a Passing Fad.. That, & maybe Zenith was trying to use up stocks of tubes. A similar thing was that the old "Roundie" color TVs were in production til at least 1970-5 yrs after the "Rectangular" CRTs were introduced. You could buy a 21" Roundie color set-which had been the Top of the Heap for less than $300 in 1968-69. In 1963-64, they'd have easily been 2X that..
Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations on acquiring yet another Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio.

Those really bring back memories for me in the way that we found out what was happening in the rest of the world and how one could stay in touch when traveling, even when traveling to the more remote parts of the world.

They were built like a piece of luggage and it was clear that they were to be taken with you when you traveled, whether it was to the park, beach or around the world.

Yes, how about a picture or two?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Motorola Minion

Great find Sandy

Does it have the 1L6? I understand there is a solid state replacement for the hen's-tooth-rare tube.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-06-2015 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling!
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Great find Sandy

Does it have the 1L6? I understand there is a solid state replacement for the hes-tooth tube.
Yup. 1L6 all present & accounted for, SIR !!