Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

prewar Marconi

This has been up a couple of days. Anyone know the story?
http://cgi.ebay.com/1938-Marconi-707...item2c5cc4c404
Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Saw that 'un...Don't know the histoire'...Bet it'll go for Megabux, though.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Saw that 'un...Don't know the histoire'...Bet it'll go for Megabux, though.
Being totally ignorant about these won't stop me from venturing a guess anyhow. I'm betting it goes for around $12K.

What am I looking at that says "Pyrex Brand"? Is it the CRT or something covering it?

John
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Pyrex makes/made laboratory flasks, beakers, stuff like that, & as such, had lots of experience in commercial/industrial glassblowing. They MIGHT have made the envelope for the CRT...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Yes, that is most likely the CRT, and the Pyrex glass also used in the prewar USA CRTs has been a big obstacle to rebuilding them.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

The EMI pre-war CRTs were made from Pyrex (borosilicate) glass. Virtually all later CRTs were made from ordinary glass. Being Pyrex makes it more complex to rebuild these CRTs. The only company in the world that can do this is RACS in France and even they have to use some outside services.

When rebuilding a CRT it is usually essential to fit a new "pinch". This is the part where the lead out wires pass through the glass. Sealing metal to glass is a tricky business as the thermal expansion coeffts have to be matched. Pyrex pinches are no longer available so soft glass ones must be used. Soft glass has a different coefft of expansion so a direct join to pyrex would crack. The answer is a graded seal, using 2 or 3 intermediate grades of glass. Making a graded seal takes glassblowing skill of a very high order.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow...The amount of technical "Smarts" that is displayed here & over at AK NEVER ceases to amaze me...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

This set was originally in the collection of Danny Gustafson, who sold it before he died to another collector.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
The answer is a graded seal, using 2 or 3 intermediate grades of glass. Making a graded seal takes glassblowing skill of a very high order.
Or rather, a graded section of neck glass to 'adapt' the Pyrex progressively to regular glass. It looks like this:

Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I like that photo, was it done with polarised light? Whoever did that glassblowing was very good at his job, the profile is very smooth.

Some useful links on the subject:
http://www.transitionglass.com/
http://www.moores-glass.co.uk/graded-seals.html
http://www.robsonscientific.co.uk/qu...aded_seals.php
http://www.glassdynamicsllc.com/Pref...to%20Metal.htm

Last edited by ppppenguin; 05-25-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to All,

Hi jeffrey, Thanks for the super advert for RACS!

Yes, the colored ring photos were taken under polarized light.

Here are other pictures showing the Pyrex to electronic glass transition, this time under ordinary light.

On the left you see the new neck section with "P" for the Pyrex section and 8250 probably a type designation number for the electronic glass section.

The center item show the new electronic glass base assembly with the slender glass tube which will be connected to the vacuum pumps when the CRT is evacuated.

The item on the right shows the CRT's original gun now rebuilt with new cathodes and filaments which has been transfered from its original base (discarded) and mounted on the new electronic glass base. This completed gun assembly is now ready for mounting in the rebuilt tube.

Much skill is needed to rebuild guns and sometimes an entirely new gun must be assembled from scratch re-using the original parts: Wehnelt cylinder, G1/G2/G3 anode assemblies, etc. X/Y/Z positionning of the parts in space must match the original specs to within fractions of a millimeter so that the electron optics performance are satisfactory. This is no mean feat, and for color CRTs (Think 15G..) the amount of work is tripled.

Through experience, RACS discovered an unexpected source of failures when pumping the rebuilt tube: in prewar CRTs, the EHT final anode is a large metal cylinder which goes through the glass and the quality of the seal can be questionable, especially as you are asking a 70 year old assembly to withstand once again the high temperature and pressure ordeal of vacuum pumping.
Also, the anode cylinder is ordinary steel and depending on the conditions of storage, invisible (except under a microscope) rust microcracks and metal fatigue can weaken the through-glass section and make it a failure waiting to happen.

The workaround is to either remove the EHT contact altogether and fill the hole with Pyrex or leave it there but totally resealed with new Pyrex. The EHT contact is then recreated on the CRT's base which is entirely potted in a EHT resistant compound. Tubes with EHTs of up to 12KV have been modified in this manner with no risk of arcing at the base. A male/female adapter is supplied by RACS to mate the enlarged potted base to the CRT's original connection to the TV. The EHT connection is brought out separately on a high-insulation wire to mate with the original EHT rubber-cup contact.

The last two photos show the renecking process where the new neck cylinder is fused to the CRT's bell assembly and the gun sealing at the other end.
About this last photo, it is interesting to note that when the temperature is right, the straight sides of the glass cylinder cave in under the pull of gravity to come into contact with the stem/base assembly. Once fused, the excess glass just falls off under its own weight.

For those interested by the entire CRT rebuild process, my PhotoBucket slide show documents the entire process from start to finish:

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...RACS%20France/

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

Last edited by jhalphen; 05-25-2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

A couple of things bother me . First , the supplied spare tubes , , , , I see a rather newer looking octal there . And is that a mounting for some kind of Tuning Eye setup , , , I dont see one on the tv . Well anyway , beyond the spare tubes , Wont being missing the speaker be a major hit to its collector value ? Yea , Im sure a suitable substitute most certainly can be found , but points off for not being 100% original ? Also , how hard would it be to find/manufacture the broken knob/switch ? .

Course , none of that really matters , , , its at $3150 with 4 days left , , I'll bet it hits 5K easy .
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
A couple of things bother me . First , the supplied spare tubes , , , , I see a rather newer looking octal there . And is that a mounting for some kind of Tuning Eye setup , , , I dont see one on the tv . Well anyway , beyond the spare tubes , Wont being missing the speaker be a major hit to its collector value ? Yea , Im sure a suitable substitute most certainly can be found , but points off for not being 100% original ? Also , how hard would it be to find/manufacture the broken knob/switch ? .

Course , none of that really matters , , , its at $3150 with 4 days left , , I'll bet it hits 5K easy .
I remember the 707 from some years ago. I recall the following details on this set:

The octal valve (tube) base was introduced to the UK about 1937. The Marconi 707 uses a KT63 for the frame (vertical) output and line (horizontal) output. The KT63's US equivalent is a 6F6!

If I recall correctly, there are four octal tubes in the 707: the frame oscillator, frame output, the line oscillator and the line output.

The 707 is an early superheterodyne for vision and sound. When this set was built, Alexandra Palace broadcast the BBC vision signal carrier (45MHz) with full double sideband modulation. The AM sound carrier was at 41.5MHz. In the Model 707, the sound IF (for AM sound) was 4.5 MHz and the vision IF was 8MHz. The earlier Marconi EMI TV models were TRF vision and superhet for sound only.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
I remember the 707 from some years ago. I recall the following details on this set:

The octal valve (tube) base was introduced to the UK about 1937. The Marconi 707 uses a KT63 for the frame (vertical) output and line (horizontal) output. The KT63's US equivalent is a 6F6!

If I recall correctly, there are four octal tubes in the 707: the frame oscillator, frame output, the line oscillator and the line output.

The 707 is an early superheterodyne for vision and sound. When this set was built, Alexandra Palace broadcast the BBC vision signal carrier (45MHz) with full double sideband modulation. The AM sound carrier was at 41.5MHz. In the Model 707, the sound IF (for AM sound) was 4.5 MHz and the vision IF was 8MHz. The earlier Marconi EMI TV models were TRF vision and superhet for sound only.
Ah , so there is an octal or few in there , , , well that explains the newer looking tube . The bidding seems to have chilled a bit at the $3150 price level , , its been at that number for almost 24 hours .

If I spent $3500 for a new big screen , I'd be in the doghouse for a while , , , , , ,

But If I spent $3500 on an awesome antique that I'll never watch , , , they'd have me commited to the nuthouse !!!!!!

Sure would look good in my old radio room ..........................
Old 05-29-2011, 10:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I suppose all prewar sets fetch good money these days. The 707 eventually sold for US $7,601.54.

Is the buyer on this forum?
Audiokarma