Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Music under the news sounds weird but I guess back when they were doing it it seemed very natural. It brought to mind Frank White, "The Southern Sportsman". That syndicated show (it couldn't have been very widely syndicated) ran through the 80s and featured old Frank narrating films of his latest hunting or fishing expedition. None of the footage had sound so along with the narration was this catchy little tune that I can hear in my head like it was yesterday. My wife remembers it well, too-we often joke about it. Hey, in this 3 station market Frank coming on 7:30 Saturday night was a big deal! "brought to you by House Autry" and what brand of dog food did he sell?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:21 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy
<<even the vaunted Bonanza is filled with mediocre acting, cheap sets, poor lighting etc.>>
The biggest Bonanza laugh I got was in one scene where a DC-9 flew overhead on the Ponderosa . I wonder if the producer noticed it, or if they didn't want to pay for a retake?

Similar thing in The Big Valley... I saw a really nice shiny Winegard color TV antenna ontop of one of the buildings in the 1850s Stockton, CA backdrop

Charles
Old 07-09-2006, 03:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

The same thing used to happen in Australia in the 60's & early 70's when I used to live in Sydney & I remember watching the news on ATN-7 & the news used to always run music under the news stories as was common practice at the time, Then in around 71 or 72 that came to an end.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a complete set of Capitol Records "Needle-Drop" recordings. We used these snippits of music as background music for commercials, our local shows, and other things. All the music was licensed to us for broadcast. MUCH of this music was used on network shows, and many of the early Hanna-Barbera cartoon shows, too I am fortunate to have been there when they were trashing this stuff. I got as much as I could cram into my truck...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I agree TV these days does suck. I remember when I was 10 when UPN and WB started buying up what was left of independent channels. I can remember in Minneapolis, for several months (similar to the "CW" ads WB channels run now) seeing "Your channel 7 is going to be the WB7!" Or whatever channel it was.

In Orlando the only independent channels we have are 52&45 (both religious) and channel 27 (which FOX now has either a controlling share in or wholly owns). 52 is junk and is either all religious shows or informercials. (I love how they show infomercials during primetime.) 45 is actually a decent channel, as they play Ozzie&Harriet, I Love Lucy, old Disney animated movies, etc. during prime time, just like they might have during the 50s.

Two years ago, channel 27 was wholly independent, and I can remember watching lots of local TV either late at night or during prime time. I can remember "The Family Auto Mart Show", which was an infomercial put on by a local car dealer, that actually was entertaining, "The Appliance Direct Show", a show by a local appliance store that had to be entertaining to compete, and "Having a Beer With Mike." Now the only time I watch channel 27 is when Southpark is on at 11pm. The majority of their shows now are old FOX rejects.

It's a shame, but That's the way it was, Monday, July 17, 2006.
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
AK Member

Nostalgia's fun, but consider the following:
Quote:
"You will see a procession of game shows, violence, audience-participation shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western badmen, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence and cartoons. And, endlessly, commercials--many screaming, cajoling and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you will see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, try it."
Newton Minnow said that in 1961... so yes, the rose-colored glasses are 'on' here. That said, I definitely had a 'thing' for Susan Saint James on 'McMillan and Wife'!

Last edited by ManFromPorlock; 07-20-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Too bad Rock DIDN'T...
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
ARC Tech-109

Ok Ive read this entire thread and agree, todays TV is nothing more than throw-away crap that isnt worth watching on a throw-away cube set. The only thing "modern' I care to watch is Law & Order and thankfully my Magnavox Astrosonic overscans enough to hide that worthless watermark. I use the commercial breaks to expel my used mtn.dew or grab another cold can.
My fondest TV memories before age 10 are watching Hawaii 5-0 followed by Adam-12 during the weekday evenings and weekends were World of Disney and Wild Kingdom all in bold Living Color on our Zenith Chromacolor set. If I got lucky and my dad wasn't watching football I could watch the fake wrestling matches with the MadDog, Andre The Giant and Mean Gene then follow it up with ABC's Wide World Of Sports. After school I would do my homework to the likes of Scooby-Do followed by Superman and whatever else the old KMSP-9 could string into the film chain at the time. (Screen Gems?) We had no watermarks or sliding titles like CNN, no "cram it down your throat" advertising infomercials or commercial clock, everything just happened when it did.
When I was 11 or 12 I had my own color set, RCA CTC-22 and could watch the Brady Bunch or M*A*S*H re-runs in my room with my mom sitting in my bean-bag chair sewing or whatever while my dad watched the monday night football games... mom hated football! I loved the old Plymouths and Olds Vista Crusier wagons on those shows, call me wierd I dont care!
Today the only thing I will watch on daytime TV are re-runs of 5-0 followed by Magnum PI and Little dump on the prairie. I have a Sony KV-4000 at my bench where I work and I hijack the shop antenna, everyone including the managers know better than to interrupt 5-0. At home I will watch the local news if I get home in time and Law & Order, nothing else is even worth the time of warming up the set to watch. One of the local channels was running the old Superman series but cut them short of the first color films for whatever reason, I have a soft spot for these because Noel Neil and my grandmother were best friends at Washburn High.

Now can anyone confirm that the entire Hawaii 5-0 series was coming out on DVD? Wish it was laserdisc as my Magnavox goes nuts over the "anti-copy" crap in the vertical bar, oh well maybe those rose colored glasses will come in handy, at least NO WATERMARKS!

Someone here made the mention of watching Ren & Stimpy would be best watched on a roundie? Ok to each their own like my old MoPars but the only thing I could salvage out of that series would be a LOG commercial, even my kid won't put up with Ren let alone Bevis and Buttplug. Actually he's not a kid anymore but spent a considerable amount of time watching TV during the 90s growing up. I actually got him hooked on 5-0 and now he tapes it for me so I can watch it on a period correct set minus the worthless commercial aimed at the low-life unemployed couch potatos, since when can you get a 4 year degree in just one year with all those operators standing-by? My kid works for the railroad dispatching overnight (CPR MN Disp) so he's home during the day.

Can anyone identify the Motorola radio series used in McGarrets car? I can and I have 9 working copies!

Ok Im going to find a good disc to drop into my VP-1000a and get the fireplace going, Empire Strikes Back is in order tonight on my Astrosonic.

Better late than never post from ARC tech-109
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
For the Love of the Music

Red face Agree!!! I miss everthing you mentioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
I suppose it's nice to know that this on-screen trash is hated world-wide, although I wouldn't wish it on anybody!

I'll add to your list of complaints the following...

1) I miss when local newscasts were only 30mins or maybe an hour. Now they're at least 2 hours, and sometimes 3 hours! Still there is about 30mins of "useful" info. The rest of it is made-up BS, "Channel 7 on your side, etc." These investigative reporters are always taking on some story about the widda' lady who paid $5000 to have her furnace cleaned. Does nothing to infom me, but I guess I'm supposed to get the "warm&fuzzies" for some hipocritical TV station that runs 10 hours of get-rich-quick-scam infomercials all weekend.

2) I miss re-runs of good shows like Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Adam-12, Leave-it-to-Beaver, Bonanza, etc. on the independant UHF channels. Now, they run the same crapola 90s "urban-oriented" sit-coms day after day.

2a) Because the UHF channels are no longer independant, we no longer have "The 8 O'clock movie", Perhaps we'd see "Bullit, The 7-ups, Freebie & the Bean, White Lightning, Blues Brothers, etc." All movies I remember seeing on UHF TV. Now it's an endless parade of sit-com/reality excrement from UPN, WB, FOX and whatever half-ass network just got started last week.

3) I really miss the local studio programming from the really cheesy UHF Channels (like old WGPR-62 in Detroit). Often they were laughable dance shows full of high-school kids. These were typically loaded with tons of low-rent graphics, just flashing words on the screen like "wow, fresh, hype".

4) I HATE all syndicated junk shows like Oprah, Dr. Phil, Jerry Springer.

5) Test patterns vs. infomercials (Mostly as it relates to late-night DX'ing)

6) Occasional screw-ups, like seeing a promo card fall down in front of a camera, and then people running around trying to fix it.

7) I miss a lot of the old artwork/styles of network promos. For example, I remember ABC (US) kept their very 70s-ish "Saturday Night At the Movies" promo well into the 90s. (I'm surprised that the very old-looking Law & Order show title/song seems to continue unchanged)

8) The NBC logo that was just a red/blue triangle that looked like an "N".

9) Commercials where REAL dogs chewed bubble-gum in order to "talk" vs. today's scary-looking computer animations.

10) All that garbage about HDTV on shows that would suck just as bad if broadcast on a 35-line mechanical system! Who needs 1000 lines to watch "Happy Family"???

Well guys, that's my top ten. What can you add?

I feel bad for guys a young as Doug, who can't possibly remember when TV wasn't as crass and "corporate". At 31, even I know that I was at the end of that good era.
I loved the old independent stations. Channel 41 in Kansas City! Good sitcoms that are funny. Todays Sitcoms are NOT funny. I hate shows like Access Hollywood. Who gives a s*** about this actor knocking up his wife or girl friend. Most of them will split in 6 months anyway. Yech! My lady friend doesnt understand why I dont give a damned about crap shows like these. In NY its in the 7-8 time span. Used to watch the Untouchables.

The screen icons suck to. Its bad enough to have ABC or CBS but the local affiliate adds theirs too. Too much. Since my 1989 Sony died I broke down and got HD TV. It has a zoom feature on it. You can pull the picture in so its not distorted on regular TV. Cuts out the stupid Icons! It does occasionally cut the tops of peoples heads.

News shows. Why cant the old independents like WWOR (used to be WOR) channel 9, I still call them WOR and WYNY Channel 5, still call them WNEW and the rest at 10 PM run an hour. A half hour is more than enough followed by a good old sitcom. I thinks its a way to keep people employed. At least at 11 PM the networks run only half hours--if you can stay up that late.

One gripe I have is CBS and NBC have three versions Law and Order and CSI. I dont watch the others. Law and Order on NBC and caught CSI Miami. Never watched the NY one. Cant handle the girl in that one having been in the NBC show Providence. ONE version of each is enough. And the reruns. Enough! TBS runs the hell out of Law and Order. Give it a rest!!!!

I think ABC ran out of shows to run so lets run the hell Grey's Anatomy. I like this show but not 100 reruns of the show. Enough!

Finally program director who keep changin when a show is on. PICK a time a leave it there. You get used to it and these morons change it. Leave it alone already!! Boston Public, I liked it on Sunday. Vegas in Mon night, Now its Fri. These over paid idiots cant think of anything to do so lets change the time. Enough.

Great post. I feel better now. Going to sign off now. I have had the radio on during this whole post! Great station on AM from Canada CHWO AM 740. Plays lots of cool stuff from big band,jazz, top 40. Ran a sound track of a Bugs Bunny cartoon last night at 11 PM eastern time.

Eric
Old 09-28-2006, 08:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I worked for many years for a little Nashville indie station, WZTV, from its start-up, until 1982. We ran lots of shows, I Love Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Twilight Zone, Wild Wild West, Have Gun Will Travel, Hazel, I Dream Of Jeannie, The Monkees, The Flintstones, etc. etc. etc... The Honeymooners, The Partridge Family, Wonder Woman, Ben Casey... The list goes on and on... Oh yeah. How long since you've seen Petticoat Junction? We had a set of brand new prints!

We also ran Star Trek... Hey Pete! It was 5 commercial breaks in the shows, not 3.

We NEVER cut anything, ever! Our shows and movies were shown in their entirity.

Being that we didnt cut the shows at all, the film distributors sent us brand new prints of almost everything we played. One glaring aside was "Speedracer," which were some of the worst prints ever!

We maintained a huge library of Paramount features that were beautiful. Many prints were in Technicolor. Any prints that didnt pass my standards: excess scratches, splices, bad color, etc. were replaced. Period.

We ran a movie every weeknight at 8PM. Cinema 17. Good days, then.

We never forced a commercial break in a TV show, ever. Commercials always went where the show producers intended.

Now, FOX is on ZTV. Its just like all the others. I'm so sorry.
Audiokarma
Old 09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
guru388

I'm so old I remember "SKY BLUE TUNING" on my first Sony 12" color set.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Now can anyone confirm that the entire Hawaii 5-0 series was coming out on DVD?
I am especially interested in that information.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

This week's example of why I buy DVDs to watch television rather than the networks is a classis one.

Our network 9 here has the rights to the mega HBO/BBC series ROME.

First they cut scenes and combine episodes to fit one and a half hours into one hour and then they pull the series after two episodes.

Is it any wonder people are turning off network television to spend time on the internet or watching DVDs!

On a happier note, as a teen in the late 60s I saw, and was blown away by, a British televison series called "The Caesars" in living black and white. (It is similar to the very well known BBC series of the 70s "I Claudius").

It disappeared...the tapes were lost or erased ...all that remained were kinescopes. I am not sure if it 625 or 405 line.

Now the series has been put on DVD. it will be interesting to see how the series stands up after all these years.

Oh dear is this nostalgia setting in...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebee23
This week's example of why I buy DVDs to watch television rather than the networks is a classis one.

Our network 9 here has the rights to the mega HBO/BBC series ROME.

First they cut scenes and combine episodes to fit one and a half hours into one hour and then they pull the series after two episodes.

Is it any wonder people are turning off network television to spend time on the internet or watching DVDs!

On a happier note, as a teen in the late 60s I saw, and was blown away by, a British televison series called "The Caesars" in living black and white. (It is similar to the very well known BBC series of the 70s "I Claudius").

It disappeared...the tapes were lost or erased ...all that remained were kinescopes. I am not sure if it 625 or 405 line.

Now the series has been put on DVD. it will be interesting to see how the series stands up after all these years.

Oh dear is this nostalgia setting in...
I remember a time before the advent of colour television when the TV networks would at tell you when when a series is finished & ad's were always shown where the producers wanted them. TV shows always started at the published time in TV guides where as today the TV guide is more like a TV guess as shows are staggered to start anywhere from 5 - 30 mins from those published times, The only shows that start on time are news programs. TV shows are now edited to allow at least 15 mins of ads in every hour, TV shows used to be at least 50 mins in duration (Without ads) & now they are about 42 mins. There was a time when late night TV there was actually programs, Now there is infomercials or quizshows that are financed by calling a 1900 number to get on air.