Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv

We all tend to view the past with rose colored glasses.

Anthony
Or the color balance on your set has the red gun a little too high and the blue gun a little too low....
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
IBut we do have a good independent uhf station down here in LA - ch56 (until I read this I didn't know how good I had it, I thought they were more common)
During the day it shows old detective-type shows: Matlock, Rockford, Perry Mason, Kojak, Hawaii-5-O, etc.. and at night: the Alfred Hitchcock Hour, followed by the Twilight Zone (the original), nothing but infomercials after 10PM, and on most of the weekend though.
Are you referring to KDOC? I like that station.

David
Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Are you referring to KDOC? I like that station."

That's it. I was just reading about all the old shows people wished were still on in this thread, and thought many of them are still on ch56. I also really like those old Twilight Zones. You must have a good antenna to be pulling that in out in Thousand Oaks.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Frenchy

Agree that KDOC is a pretty cool station on weekday mornings with Rockford and Matlock and Quincy and such, great shows to watch when nothing good on the other stations. Columbo once a week too!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
AK Member

The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

http://www.janda.org/b20/News%20arti...stwastland.htm
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Boy, ain't THAT the truth....<sigh>
Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Here in Pittsburgh from the early 1960's to the early 1980's, we used to have a horror show hosted by a man named "Chilly Billy" Cardille and it was called "Chiller Theater" on late Saturday nights on Channel 11, WIIC, now WPXI. If you see the old movie, "Night of the Living Dead," Chilly Billy is the TV reporter, IIRC. Anyways, they would use to have skits and stuff as well as talk about space aliens, UFO abductions, and othere paranormal stuff. I remember as a kid, eating pizza, downing pop and so on as we watched it every Saturday. There were others like that too, when we first got WOR on cable, they had something similar as well as WPTT, Channel 22 when it started up as an indy UHF station in 1978.

Today, we have an indy UHF station, low power, channel 59 here in Pittsburgh that show old shows like "Streets of San Francisco," "Hawaii Five-O," old Lucy shows from the 1960's and so on so it still exists here in Pittsburgh. On channel 59 on Saturday nights, there is a horror show hosted much like Chiller Theater used to do although it is more like a 21st Century version and it is called "The It's Alive Show" (www.theitsaliveshow.com) where they show much the same crappy movies Chilly Billy did although there are skits and even short horror films by local Pittsburgh producers. It brings back a lot of memories when I was a kid as well as there are some references to Chiller Theater and there is even an auto repair commercial hosted by a midget who used to be on Chiller Theater (or it could be his son) who now owns an auto repair business. The main host is "Professor Emcee Square." It's a real riot and hoot. I'm ready to get some pizza and pop and enjoy myself, bring on the acid reflux!

I know here in Pittsburgh, we still have the mentality and though processes that are still very much in the 1950's or even the 1930's. Sometimes that's bad, other times that is good. There is a joke out there that if the world is coming to an end, move to Pittsburgh, you get an extra 50 to 70 years to live.

Last edited by NowhereMan 1966; 06-22-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
2weelchpprpilot

Detroit area

My faves growin up--

Howdy Doody

Soupy Sales

Morgus Presents (not necessarily in that order) DAMM !! I missed the 11:00 news!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:09 AM
2weelchpprpilot

Cool "Takin a trip?"

how could I almost forget this one--Then Came Bronson '69-'70 starring Michael Parks whose character rides 'the long lonesome hwy' on a Harley Davidson Sportster (with the sleepy eye on the tank), with nothing more than a bedroll strapped to the handlebars and the clothes on his back, a leather jacket and the infamous watchmans cap tilted ever so slightly down his forehead not quite touching his shades.

The basic premise of the show is that he quits his job after his buddy commits suicide and he buys the Sportster to roam the countryside to clear his head. He stops only long enough to work for food and gas. He does help out some people along the way and sometimes he has to kick some ass and other times gets his ass kicked. (winsum,loosum)

I was 16 yrs old when the show was on TV. I knew as soon as I finished High School I was gonna buy me a bike and head on down that 'long lonesome hwy' . And I did . And I never stopped. ('cept for food and gas)
Old 06-23-2006, 01:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Don't forget KDOC was the home for Gene Scott after he lost KHOF ch30. KDOC will do anything to make a buck.
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2006, 05:01 AM
The Goodbye Look

All those cheesy horror film shows that every city seemed to have with their local talent introducing them always reminds me of that old SCTV skit with "Count Floyd".He would always be showing films like "The 3D House of Pancakes"."Veddddy Sceddddy".
Jimmy
Old 06-23-2006, 05:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
That's it. I was just reading about all the old shows people wished were still on in this thread, and thought many of them are still on ch56. I also really like those old Twilight Zones. You must have a good antenna to be pulling that in out in Thousand Oaks.
Local cable carries it as part of their package. But, I did have some friends who actually worked a sports shoot for KDOC a couple of years ago. Their studio still uses Sony DXC-3000 cameras. I thought only the studio I worked for still used these 18 year old cameras. It made me smile.

David
Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember.....

I remember as a kid traveling all over the country with my parents in a 6000 pound station wagon (guzzleing 29 cent-per-gallon gas), listening to lots of local radio stations, and watching lots of locally produced TV shows. Now everyone watches the same stuff everywhere. There isn't any local personality to the programming; It's all the same homogenized crap. Except for the guy in the "Severe Extreme Pinpoint Weather Alert Center". And he still gets the forecast wrong about 135 percent of the time.

Those quicktime clips of the old NBC identification almost brought a tear to my eye.

I miss watching "Dobie Gillis" re-runs and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with my dad on our old Hoffman Black-and-White. It had a steel cabinet and a steel swivel stand that squeeked so loud the people next door could hear it. We used a bent coat hanger for antenna.

A few years later, we would watch "Sea Hunt", and "The Rifleman" every night after dinner.

Watching the Gemini space launches on that set was really exciting, even I didn't understand the underlying political importance at the time.

Anyone remember "Moona Lisa's Science Fiction Theater" (1960s) on KOGO-10 in San Diego? She showed some of the worst movies ever made, and they were great!

This stuff all seems so long ago, but I remember it so clearly. And I miss it.

Geez, suddenly I feel old.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:04 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bourquin
Geez, suddenly I feel old.
Yes, I feel so too. I remember television in the 1960's. No movie or tv show was interrupted by commercials. Every broadcast was announced by a lovely girl or fine-dressed man. But most of all, the tv presentation breathed a kind of calmness which is completely absent in today's television.
TV shows like Star Trek and Bonanza were family events, and everybody was talking about it.
But one exception I found in the present: the soccer game between Germany and Argentina yesterday was the most exciting television event since the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989. People are celebrating throughout the whole night.
And for me, this week was exciting in a personal manner too: our third child, a little daughter, was born on wednesday. Today, mother and child will return at home. And the weather of the weekend will be hot and sunny. Summer has really arrived. So we have much to celebrate here.
Eckhard
Old 07-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Frenchy

<<Yes, I feel so too. I remember television in the 1960's. No movie or tv show was interrupted by commercials.>>

Maybe a bit of rose colored glasses here - I am not sure about movies but didn't most regular tv shows still have commercials? Maybe not as many, and not as many breaks, but they still had them dispursed in the shows. Even the mentioned Bonanza and Star Trek, if you watch a dvd they have obvious spots in them where commercials would go.
But now they are getting really bad, I hate stuff like what TBS does to Everybody Loves Raymond, they run an episode, then cut out the credits so they can squeeze in another commercial, then start the next episode while squishing the picture up and running the credits from the PREVIOUS episode on the bottom of the screen! I'm suprised they don't just run two episodes side by side, then run a 1/2 hour of ads!
Also hate promo animations cable shows put on the bottom of a show all night long, those are very annoying and piss me off.
Audiokarma