Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Beautiful job on that remote!

Charles
Old 06-26-2008, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Removed the safety glass, cleaned all the dirt/dust off the front of the crt and the inside of the glass, and put that strip that says "color" back where it should be.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Repro Battery Builder

Which VS battery number does it take? Chances are it's a VS133, and there's an alkaline equivalent called the En133. Eveready recently stopped making them, but there's a cottage industry making them. Just check on the web.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:53 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Removed the safety glass, cleaned all the dirt/dust off the front of the crt and the inside of the glass, and put that strip that says "color" back where it should be.
Looks great! Did you have to battle with that black goo? Every time I try to get that RCA safety glass clean, I have thousands of spots of that black sealer goo everywhere from the carpet, doorknobs, faucets, up my nose, and Goodness knows where else!

Charles
Old 07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

1961 Ctc-10

Last edited by eberts; 10-07-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

pictures of the chassis:

Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

This looks alot like the set President Kennedy had in the Oval Office.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
This looks alot like the set President Kennedy had in the Oval Office.
I think it is the same model set, apparently installed by Eisenhower: http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/a...l/Oval_Office/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
Looks great! Did you have to battle with that black goo? Charles
No black goo, someone had been in there to clean it out before me (but long enough ago for lots of dust to build up since). I can tell for sure because they also dented that aluminum piece on top that holds the glass in prying it out. (otherwise the cabinet is in nearly like new condition)

The battery is VS163 Eveready E163, I looked around no 4.2v batteries, but there may be some 4.5v batteries that might work (or if I can find 3 small enough 1.5v batteries).

After taking a good look at the chassis I can see a lot of repairs done before (mainly caps replaced). Also whoever worked on it before kept hitting wires with the soldering iron, melting the insulation in places, not so bad I want to replace them, but still I would have thought he would have been more careful on such a high-end set. That big replacement electrolytic on top of the chassis there, 80mfd 450v, is not actually replacing one of the power supply filters, but rather the 50mfd 50v cap which hooks to the contrast control, I wonder if he really meant to do that or just connected the wrong wire. The thermistor was broken and the wires were just twisted together there.

Was there originally some kind of metal cover that went over the bottom of the IF board? It looks like there might have been something like that there that was unsoldered and never replaced.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
I think it is the same model set, apparently installed by Eisenhower: http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/a...l/Oval_Office/

No black goo, someone had been in there to clean it out before me (but long enough ago for lots of dust to build up since). I can tell for sure because they also dented that aluminum piece on top that holds the glass in prying it out. (otherwise the cabinet is in nearly like new condition)

The battery is VS163 Eveready E163, I looked around no 4.2v batteries, but there may be some 4.5v batteries that might work (or if I can find 3 small enough 1.5v batteries).

After taking a good look at the chassis I can see a lot of repairs done before (mainly caps replaced). Also whoever worked on it before kept hitting wires with the soldering iron, melting the insulation in places, not so bad I want to replace them, but still I would have thought he would have been more careful on such a high-end set. That big replacement electrolytic on top of the chassis there, 80mfd 450v, is not actually replacing one of the power supply filters, but rather the 50mfd 50v cap which hooks to the contrast control, I wonder if he really meant to do that or just connected the wrong wire. The thermistor was broken and the wires were just twisted together there.

Was there originally some kind of metal cover that went over the bottom of the IF board? It looks like there might have been something like that there that was unsoldered and never replaced.
There are a few 4.5v button cells out there that you could get to work.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I read the White House was in disrepair, and falling apart. When Kennedy moved in, Jackie with her magic, made them spend millions to rehab, restore, and decorate the place. They were not too thrilled with her spending that kind of money, she wanted
and got the best material and craftsmen to do the work.
Today they are glad she did that, restored dignity to the White House. Maybe she had the TV tossed out ?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is a series of pictures here: http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/west...ce-history.htm It looks like Kennedy kept the ctc-10, but Johnson had a unit installed that was 3 sets in one console.

The remote does actually turn the tint, color, and volume controls.

I checked all the tubes. None shorted, or so weak that they obviously won't work. The 6AQ5 (audio output) was weak enough that I'll probably swap it out, and the 6EM7 (vertical) was slightly weak, but I'll probably see if there's actually any vertical trouble before changing it. Most of the tubes had been changed in this set over the years, it probably saw at least 10 years or so of service, many tubes have that more modern looking RCA logo on them. It is interesting to note that all the replacement tubes are RCA tubes, I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone actually pay attention to the signs they put on stuff that say "use only ... tubes."
Old 07-06-2008, 01:09 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:

Yes. It had a metal plate with holes to reach through to get at the IF slugs. You need that cover in place or the alignment will be interfered with by stray magnetic fields elsewhere in the chassis. If nobody comes up with an extra one, you could make a temporary one with an old paint thinner can, etc.

Charles
Old 08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm nearly ready to put this set back together. I swapped all the electrolytics and paper caps in the TV chassis. I replaced the broken thermistor. Checked the restistance readings at the tube sockets in the horiz and vert circuits following the sams, and only changed a few resistors that were only around 20% off anyway. I swapped that one 6AQ5 audio output tube, all the other tubes tested ok. This set looks to me like it was well maintained into the late 60s or even into the 70s, there were already some orange drops in it, as well as many tubes with that newer RCA logo. I also recapped the remote chassis, and replaced the selenium rectifier that was in there with a 1N4007 diode. It's strange how the plating is starting to come off of the top of the remote chassis. And I swapped the selenium rectifier on the convergence board for 3 diodes. The 3 things I haven't picked up yet for this set are still a battery for the remote, the metal piece that goes under the IF board, and the socket for the light that goes on the bottom of the cabinet (it was missing). But I might just put it back together and fire it up first, just to see what's going on.

Audiokarma