Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
RCA 741PCS

I couldn't find any spare 7C7s, but I'm going to a radio swapfest on Friday and might get lucky.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 PM
RCA 741PCS

I did find a couple 7C7s at the swap fest. That hippo is playing very nicely now. I've been listening to a lot of AM 740 out of Toronto. They actually play music unlike the local stations.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just a quick question,BobAndersen, Looking at the quote below and the picture... What is the value (mfd value) of the Safety cap and the type of cap (Caps from Justradios website)? I looks like you installed it from one side of the ac line just before the pilot light to chassis ground at that term strip. I just can't see if you used the chassis ground or another terminal on that strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Here's one of the radios all done with the rebuilt cap in place. I added a safety cap across the AC line and added a fuse.

[IMG
http://www.bobandersen.com/images/philco%2046-420/hippo-402.JPG[/IMG]
Also, my schematic shows a 7C6 tube for the Detector/Audio stage but I've got a mini tube just like your picture, and the tube is a 50B5. Still looking for a correct schematic. Any idea where I can find one.. I could just use my Tube book and pencil it in I guess.

As someone else in this thread mentioned.. During the war they used whatever parts were at hand.... and got the job done.. Get 'er done!

I appreciate your time. Fun to bring back an old thread too..

Buzzsaaw

Last edited by Buzzsaaw; 03-27-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Make my question more "clear"...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaaw View Post
Just a quick question,BobAndersen, Looking at the quote below and the picture... What is the value of the Safety cap and the type of cap (Caps from Justradios website)? I looks like you installed it from one side of the ac line just before the pilot light to chassis ground at that term strip. I just can't see if you used the chassis ground or another terminal on that strip.

Also, my schematic shows a 7C6 tube for the Detector/Audio stage but I've got a mini tube just like your picture, and the tube is a 50B5. Still looking for a correct schematic. Any idea where I can find one.. I could just use my Tube book and pencil it in I guess.

As someone else in this thread mentioned.. During the war they used whatever parts were at hand.... and got the job done.. Get 'er done!

I appreciate your time. Fun to bring back an old thread too..

Buzzsaaw
Glad I could help.

I used an X2 type because it goes across the AC line. You might find this article on safety caps useful.

The schematic I downloaded from Nostalgia Air shows a 0.04 uF. I chose a 0.047uF (or 0.05uF) as the closest available value.

Sorry, i was never able to find the correct schematic for the 50B5 version.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Re-cap on the recaps.

Hello,
Thanks. I'll have to put in an order for those X2 types. I thought you were adding the safety cap in addition to the existing cap to ground.. (C15 as I read it.. kinda hard to read).

Did you have any problem prying off those little push clips that hold the dial pointer assembly in to the case? Sure don't want to break off those little "nubs" of Bakelite.
Audiokarma
Old 03-27-2011, 03:22 PM
RCA 741PCS

I very carefully used needle nosed pliers to slowly work them off. Luckily, no breakage.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy Oh...no!

Whooops!.. one broke..

Maybe I can drill a hole in the Bakelite and put in a small screw to hold things on..
Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I've (rats!!) busted off one of those one-time-only-thank you nubs, I've put the object back with just a dab of hot glue. Easy enough to dig out if it ever has to be removed again.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Red face Drilled and screwed...

Hi folks..
The further adventures of Buzz and his buzzy radio..

I grabbed my dremel and a self tapping small screw and drilled a hole.:

Screw is abut 1/2" long.. but real small. Should have lots of grip.. Yup.. I though about glue. But hot glue might have heated up from all the tube and dial light heat. IMO Apoxy might have worked good. Well, next time. Won't be a next time.. I'm not NOT going to break any thing any more.. heehee!

Ordered some caps today... good deals at the Canadian store. I like the spreadsheet order form. That's using there heads! Any time I need something.. just put it on the list and save.. order time comes around and it's waiting.
Cheers folks! and 73