Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Talking Cooool!!

Now somewhere for THESE.......

Sad!!!....I saw one of the pics (of the goofy purple thing)...that at that time I still had the Panasonic TR-1010, before it became a literal basket case

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-05-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator

If there are threads that need to be moved here, post some links to them in a post here, and I'll move em over
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM
"micro" and quirky

Thumbs up

Okay...guess I didn't know how to deal with pics I had uploaded before.

ALOT of my sets WILL fall into this category. EVERYTHING I have is pretty much "portable"...but most are actually battery as well

I don't even own a tube set yet, and when I do...it will likely be something famous (or infamous?) for being a very SMALL tube set (appreciate any leads or ideas on a VERY small tube set by-the-way)

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I fixed yer links

Just change the url to img
Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

VERY neat..
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Okay...guess I didn't know how to deal with pics I had uploaded before.

ALOT of my sets WILL fall into this category. EVERYTHING I have is pretty much "portable"...but most are actually battery as well

I don't even own a tube set yet, and when I do...it will likely be something famous (or infamous?) for being a very SMALL tube set (appreciate any leads or ideas on a VERY small tube set by-the-way)
YOU DONT HAVE A TUBE TYPE SET?????
im 12 and ive had over 100 tube type sets!
tube type is a lot better, a clearer picture, and better sound= more bass
and the sets are actually furniture!

the proof!!
see how sharp that picture is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (45.8 KB, 50 views)

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!

Last edited by radiotron; 10-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yes little kid.....We see this CONSTANTLY (And I love the "proof" pic....It's of the set with the "CONEHEADS" linearity issue)

Read JUST a little about my collection.....and I live alone in a little flat. I now have over eighty little micros in about four different parts of the flat. I have room to have maybe ONE nice "table" tube set some day. Every single unit works perfect....aside from a couple that are still current projects. I'm even limited in space when it comes to a workshop, so I do mostly rely on my own troubleshooting skills with a pretty minimal set of test equipement (and more than 30 years of playing with this stuff).

Do NOT have room for sets that are FURNITURE....because of the...ummm...FURNITURE in the place, and about $50,000 of old robotics projects (I'm one of the guys behind Sony's AIBO).

Your HAMFISTED troubleshooting skills likely leave a whole lot of dead gear laying around. I don't really have room for that. I did "hamfist" one POOR little Panasonic TR1010 enough times that it now sits in a little coffin that says "Kleenex" on both sides. I set it under the crucifix in the front room so maybe "someone else" may gimme a hand with it someday. I even went and quickly put a Buddha up there too...in case "he" might need some help :-P

If you DESPISE the solid state sets so much...then STAY OUT of the section put together just for us "smalls".

I saw your post elsewhere about the "burnt up" flyback. DO a proper ringtest on that before JUNKING yet another set. I have seen some pretty SORRY looking flybacks with windings showing and puddles of goo underneath 'em.....and yet the set still happily plays along with 25KV or so as measured under the cap. (A certain old Zenith console I saw just recently...but cannot have).

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotron View Post
YOU DONT HAVE A TUBE TYPE SET?????
im 12 and ive had over 100 tube type sets!
tube type is a lot better, a clearer picture, and better sound= more bass
and the sets are actually furniture!

the proof!!
see how sharp that picture is?
Where, at the age of 12, did you get 100 tube type sets?
I hung around a TV repair shop, when I was 12. I've been working on TV's, since that time and my trouble-shooting skills have been getting better since then.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just pulled a brand-new, Panda brand 5" B/W portable out of the box. It was on the free pile at an estate sale. It didn't come with an A/C or D/C adaptor. It was some kind of a promotional give-away. They generally didn't come with any accessories.
I used an adaptor I had on hand and plugged in my DTV convertor output. It works so well, I thought to myself, 50 years ago, this would a $400 dollar seller. It workes as well as the early Sonys and has UHF.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:12 AM
radiodayz

No need to start flaming each other :-). We're all ages, and all of us have different areas of interest/specialization, and different life circumstances that permit us to have large, or small, collections. I barely know how to fix anything, but enjoy reading about and looking at the old sets that some of you have so lovingly restored. The amazing technological developments of the 20th cent. deserve to be remembered and preserved, whether small TVs, big TVs, tube radios, transistor radios or whatever.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 AM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Where, at the age of 12, did you get 100 tube type sets?
I hung around a TV repair shop, when I was 12. I've been working on TV's, since that time and my trouble-shooting skills have been getting better since then.
ive been in a repair shop since i was 9!
and i get 100 tube types from the trash! and tvtimeisfun

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Those little 5" Chinese Jellybean sets produce an amazingly clear and sharp picture, certainly better than most Tube sets of the 40's, and adjusted for inflation they were practically free even when new, Technology marches on.

Longevity and repair-ability are nothing to write home about but they were never intended to be repaired at the price point they were sold for, they are what they are and I'm glad I'm not the only Nut who finds them collectible, if for no other reason than their bright shiny colors.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that a 12 year old has an interest in vintage Tech but you really shouldn't close your mind to new ideas.

Can you honestly say that 1950's B&W Philco has a better picture than a modern 1080p HDTV just because it's tube powered?

Maybe the newer sets won't last 50 years or be repairable even in ten but they cost a fraction (relatively speaking) of what a 21" B&W Table model would have cost in 1955.

I was probably just as thrilled when I got my first HDTV back in 2005 as the guy who bought a new CT-100 was back in 1954. And I probably have had fewer problems with them (none so far) to boot.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 AM
"micro" and quirky

I don't even see any of my HD sets as TV sets really.....They are "appliances", and just are expected to perform when I want to watch the news. Of COURSE they are TV sets, but I would see it as especially alarming and surprising if one of the four HD sets in the flat suddeny got sick.

I've sorta stopped with the "Coby sets" for now....since I have like 25 of 'em and they are sorta "spilling" off the top of the credenza and onto the floor around it. They look like Star Trek's tribbles :-)

Been concentrating on some of the recap projects of the vintage (but still solid state) stuff around the house lately.....and with my schedules and social life, each one of those will be a month long project....if not longer. I have a particularly tasty little Singer TV6U I wanna get to pretty quick. Can't wait to see it's quirky little metal cabinet all lit up with a picture some day. It has about two thirds of just a white raster with no tuner whatsoever. Got the SAMs for it, and even got me a Castle "tuner subber" to someday go poking around it's tuner section. REALLY need to finally break down and get an ESR meter for testing caps before I take on this one.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 AM
radiodayz

Aibo, what do you use to send signals to the little TVs? Converter box? cable? DVD?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 AM
"micro" and quirky

Bought a little "HLLY TVX-50M Villa" transmitter about a year ago....and the little thing is solid as a rock with a 15' cable to just a set of $10 rabbit ears from Radio Shack in a corner of the front room. Forgot the exact frequencies (I'm at work), but I have it set up for JUST above channel 13. We actually still do have a channel 13 around here SOMEWHERE that I don't want to step on. This was the highest frequency (clearest signal) I could go with and still be able to play with the old Sony sets that are not UHF. UHF frequencies would of course be even more stable.....but then the old VHF only sets would be left out. A couple digital sets in the house would have been happier if I was RIGHT on channel 13, but I don't really collect digital sets....and don't wanna bug anyone next door that MIGHT be actually watching something on 13. I'm not really sure WHERE this station is, but it's one of the only two or so ANALOGS left that actually are in English and not Spanish (Another one is something in the UHF). They are likely holdouts that are actually in Mexico.

I know, it's not a Blonder Tongue or anything more interesting.....but I wanted the transmitter to be PLL and EXTREMELY reliable, and very small (in power as well). This thing runs 24/7 and a switcher (A/V RCA jacks)....switches between the RCA outs of the cable box, output from an ARCHOS AV700 media player (vintage stuff on a 100GB hard drive and some static test patterns)...and a DVD player.

It's only a 50 milliwatt transmitter, but with those rabbit ears on it and not just the little included whip antenna, the thing will give a good clear picture with sound for around three houses around since I'm in a second story balcony flat.

Unexpected benefits.... Watching vintage (or the cable box) downstairs in the driveway while working on the cars. Freaks people out to walk by and see me sitting out there watching Leave it to Beaver episodes on an old Sony 8-301 set on rabbit ears :-P
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the exact unit I'm using....except I had originally got it as a bare PC board, and later got the chassis this one is in. Looks like this ebay link SHOWS it in the chassis, but if you look further down, "package content" is only showing the board, wall wart and the small whip antenna it comes with....Does not appear to include the chassis it's SHOWN in. I had to order that box directly from the company for like $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HLLY-TVX-50m...item3ccbf2e6e1

The only actual cables run in the flat are a single coax from the back of the cable box to my bedroom....and I use one of those "IR extender" things (also Radio Shack)...to control the cable box from the bedroom. The "regular" TV in the bedroom just stays on channel 3 (output from the COX cable box). That keeps the transmitter able to sit on whatever it wants and I'm able to use the bedroom TV just like the front room one. I don't care about HD in the bedroom on a 23" LCD...so this works just fine.

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-31-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Audiokarma