Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

B&k 467 CRT Tester

I have a B&k 467 CRT tester I got at an auction. Condition unknown. I brought it home and opened it up and cleaned it all up. I might replace the 7 E-Caps. Anyway when I applied power to it, after about 30 seconds to a minute, a small stream of smoke came from R43, a 30K 10W glass resistor. I turned it off and double checked everything and turned it on again. Still smoked but after a minute or so it quit smoking but the resistor was still too hot to touch. All the meters worked in the set up mode. I can adjust the filament voltage, the G2 voltage and the "blue" meter showed the correct line voltage. I figure that the alcohol and circuit cleaner needed to "boil" off. I don't have a CRT to test so I couldn't check out the rest of the tester.

My question to anybody who has a B&k 467, does yours work with a "hot spot" from R43. BTW, R43 drops about 500V and with about 16ma the power is about 8W. R43 is rated at 10W.

There might not be anything wrong with this tester, I just need to know if anybody's other 467 R43 runs hot too.

R43 is located just above the tube which is at the lower left hand side of the schematic.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BK 467 Schematic.pdf (96.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I want to say that the unit hasn't been plugged in for years and a capacitor caused the resistor to overheat. Often after some time working capacitors will reform and work normally if they don't short or take out something expensive like a transformer. The best thing to do in all cases with old equipment is to bring them up in steps with a variable voltage source.

A Variac or equivalent and an isolation transformer are a must if you are going to work on electronics old or new.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Followin' the Rules...

R43 runs hot on my 467 - always has....

I have other problems with mine - each meter pulses while checking a CRT. I haven't recapped or done much troubleshooting. I upgraded to one of dad's 470s (he had EIGHT!), and have shelved the 467 for now.

My 467 came from a Public Surplus Auction - bought out an entire VoTech school's TV Electronics program, about 45 pieces of test equipment for ~$250, and the 467 was among all of the equipment.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
R43 runs hot on my 467 - always has....

I have other problems with mine - each meter pulses while checking a CRT. I haven't recapped or done much troubleshooting. I upgraded to one of dad's 470s (he had EIGHT!), and have shelved the 467 for now.

My 467 came from a Public Surplus Auction - bought out an entire VoTech school's TV Electronics program, about 45 pieces of test equipment for ~$250, and the 467 was among all of the equipment.
Brian,
Thanks. That's the info I was looking for. I did order all new E-caps and I'll replace them when they arrive later this week. I'll post an update when they are replaced.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced all the E-caps tonight. R43 still runs hot. I got a service manual off the Internet and checked some voltages at some TP's. Most were a little low. After the recap, some stayed the same while others got a bit higher and some came right into spec. I put it all back together and touching the face, it's not even warm even thought R43 still is hot. BTW, in the service manual, it had a few calibrations to make and they all cal'd OK.

Now I need to get a CRT to test the tester!
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2016, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I got a small color 9" TV and tested the CRT with my re-capped 467. The 467 showed the CRT to be very good. However, like a post or 2 above the needles "pulsed" while checking the emissions. Other than that all went well.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Motorola Minion

I got a B&K 467 from a swap meet, plus a spare unit without the adapters. I have not looked inside either one yet but your thread will be a good retro-reference. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dave,
When you get around to them, when they are working, would you mind checking to see how hot that resistor gets in yours. Be careful, it could be hot!

Thanks. As you go along, maybe we can compare notes.