Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM
VK Member

mac/pc to composite video out

Hi All, I am looking for some advice i have a bit of a odd ball question!

I have a sony tv8-301w that believe works though i am in the uk and getting a signal into this is going to be a challenge i think. Correct me if i am wrong but this is my current thinking.

It is a vhf tuner (band i & iii) so i will need to modulate a composite video and audio signal to get an appropriate aerial signal. In the uk all tv transmissions are uhf now.

Because it is the us version (w) it is ntsc so a suitable source material is needed. I am assuming that it is a standard 525i/30 receiver, rather than a 405 line set which really means i am in trouble!

Is it possible to take the dvi output of my computer (mac), convert this to ntsc, modulate the signal with a cheap (channel 3 or 4) rf modulator as in the type available on ebay and then connect this into the sony?

I think my real problem is understanding the format of getting a suitable resolution/refresh rate output from the mac. The intention here is to maybe, if im lucky, use the sony as an alternative monitor for my media (plex) centre that is running on the mac, or as a very retro photo frame

Any advice would i would be very grateful - it is a bit of a minefield out there!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

What you are trying to do shouldn't be all that difficult. The first thing you need is a DVI to composite video adapter. There are plenty of them on ebay, or are available through the Apple Store. I'm not sure if Apple had a PAL version of this adapter or if they were all NTSC. To be safe go to the US version of ebay or the Apple Store to get one. Second thing you need would be an RF modulator, also an NTSC version. There were a couple different inexpensive models sold by RadioShack here in the states, they are pretty common and easy to find.

Here's a link to the DVI to composite adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A

and here is an RF modulator:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2103095#
Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
VK Member

sony 301 pc transmitter

Thanks for that - have just ordered and im thinking it should work. My only doubt now is what pc/video resolution i need to set for it to be viewable - suck it and see i guess. 640x480??

Thanks again
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykarma View Post
Thanks for that - have just ordered and im thinking it should work. My only doubt now is what pc/video resolution i need to set for it to be viewable - suck it and see i guess. 640x480??

Thanks again
640x480 and 60 Hz would be my guess. There may be instructions with the converter.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Many PC graphics cards have a composite video output. This can usually be switched between PAL and NTSC. Then all you need is a US standard (System M) modulator. Perhaps these are areadily available in the US, just as UK system I ones can be bought at Maplin and elsewhere in the UK. Otherwise a US member might be prepared to raid one out of an old scrap VCR.

Might also be worth asking in the UK forum. http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's been a while since I've used mine, but I seem to recall it works with several resolutions, 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykarma View Post

Thanks again
Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
VK Member

pc adapter to sony 301W

thats cool, am looking forward to trying it. Although i have an electronics background this stuff can get real confusing. The service manual for the tv says it has 400 vert and 250 horiz resolution though it states 525 interlaced and 625 interlaced (uk). the mention of 400 lines got me reading into 405 line systems.

All got a bit heavy, but it must be a standard 525 us set. Am not sure of the year this standard came in, did read it was mid 60's so hence my doubt.

When i get this set up will let you know how my retro photo frame looks!!

My last doubt (into buying a beautiful paperweight ) is when i read about negative video on some threads - i shouldn't read so much i guess!, just try it